Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie - been a veggie - feeling sick eating meat page

Mindi Guest

Just read the book and it makes so much sense!

I was recently tested and as I long suspected am allergic to gluten, dairy, and eggs, (also avocados and almonds?) I'm not allergic to any meats. Problem is I have been a vegetarian for many years. Have been eating a little meat now and it makes me feel nauseated and heavy. Also have basic gross out that I am eating a cow, pig, etc. Anyone else have these problems and/or suggestions? How about any alternative non-dairy, non-meat protein sources?

Help and thanks!

bruce.b is offline Member

Quorn!

http://www.quorn.us/cmpage.aspx?pageid=488

I really like it but haven't had it often. If I could get plain Quorn inexpensively I'd eat it much more often.

bruce b.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

This thread from a short time ago has some good ideas that you might find useful:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...me-lower-carbs

Dez
    Dez is offline Junior Member

I know where you are coming from mindi. I was a vegetarian for all my teenage years until my doc diagnosed me with a severe vit b12 deficiency. Since then, and since being much better informed (if I was my mum, i wouldn't have let me become a veggie), i have to make myself eat meat. Chicken is fairly good, the taste and texture is easy-going. After that, try minced meat of some description- usually the flavor of what you have it in (bollognaise, chilli, whatever) overpowers it. Go from there. Thin strips of meat in stir frys are good.

Even being a meat-eater for something like 5 years now, i struggle with a small steak, but i still make myself eat it because i know it's good for me. I also find that game meat (like kangaroo when i was in australia, and vension here in the uk) while having a stronger flavour, tastes better than beef.

Also fish is really good- if you have it often, go for mackerel or sardines and other fish lower on the food chain.

Just my 2 cents :-)

And don't feel bad if you don't inhale half a pig everyday, i've really tried to like bacon, but i'm just not feeling the love... :-)

Beauty is offline Senior Member

You also might look in reading the Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith. She was vegan for 20 years, and her understanding of the repulsion of eating animals comes across throughout her writing. She also inspires a person to eat lots of animal fats after being vegetarian (especially a low-fat vegetarian). All your body's systems need those fats! She also mentions that she now has to take digestive enzymes to help process food. Perhaps you might also benefit from those to help with your digestion. Also, just give it time. Great that you've made the switch! Grok on!

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

Back when I discovered it when I was semi-veg, I liked the taste of Quorn, but read the ingredients for the "naked cutlets" -- I'd say definitely NOT primal!

Mycoprotein (51%), rehydrated egg white, onions, textured wheat protein (wheat protein, wheat starch), whey protein concentrate, canola oil. Contains 2% or less of dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, salt, potato maltodextrin, tapioca starch, pectin, natural flavors from non-meat sources, citric acid, garlic powder, gum arabic, calcium lactate, onion powder, black & white pepper

avocado is offline Senior Member

I found the first two sections of The Vegetarian Myth helpful for getting your mind around eating meat.

Beyond that, I think it's worth making sure you give yourself good quality meat prepared in ways you find really tasty. If you're pretty much turned on by and and all meat, you can get away with anything. But when you're struggling a bit, don't let it become even more like punishment by making do with so-so stuff.

bruce.b is offline Member

Well yeah PrairieProf, that's why I said plain Quorn. I actually had some Quorn that didn't have anything non primal in it, except for the mycoprotein.

bruce b.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

Oh, I thought you meant just not breaded. But "Quorn" is the name for the fabricated substance the company creates, not mycoprotein per se, which I've never heard of anyone selling (it probably tastes pretty nasty).

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Mindi, get some digestive enzymes and take with meals - may help. Just start off with really small amounts of meat with lots of salad and other vegies.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast