Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - been a veggie - feeling sick eating meat page 2

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Regarding quorn I would like to see its micrnonutrient content and I would like to know just how bio-available it is. One of the things that makes meat a truly superior food to plant-based food is the higher bioavailability of the nutrients and proteins, amongst other things like not containing carbs.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Mindi, also if you've been diagnosed with all these allergies you probably need to do some gut work. Probiotics, glutamine etc. Those allergens probably caused some gut inflammation/damage.

FabMandy is offline Member

Mindi, I was vegetarian for nearly a decade (9.5 years) and vegan for 5 or so of those years. Coming back around to eating meat was a Big Deal. Adding meat back was really tough for me emotionally because I had bought the morality argument big time. Once I sorted out my emotional issues, I just had very small amounts of chicken breast to start. At first it was probably around 1oz., once a day. I built up from there, having larger servings, having it more frequently, trying turkey, fish, beef, bison, pork, etc... It was over several months that I did all this. So don't stress yourself out over it - advance at your own pace, if it's what you want to do. I had/have several health problems, so I actually sought out a diet that would support recovery. It wasn't PB, but it was quite similar in that it restricted all grains, sugars, etc. (basically no polysaccharides).

I didn't add supplements right away. Sometimes the body can heal the inflammation just by you avoiding the irritants (ie. the allergens). Give it a shot, see how you do.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

Try starting with fish, it might bit a bit easier for you to eat and feels lighter on the stomach. Whatever you do, do NOT eat Quorn- sugar MSG and wheat? No thanks.

beckinwolf is offline Member

I wouldn't recommend eating Quorn. It's mold!!! I've read reports of people having strong allergic reactions to it. Just the thought of it grosses me out. Just start slow with some mild meats like turkey breast, chicken breast, perhaps some kind of whitefish. Cod and halibut are fairly mild. The most important part of eating meat, at least for me, is seasonings. Cook your meat with onions, garlic, peppers, lots of flavorful things.

Carpe Diem!

schadowrider is offline Senior Member

[quote]

Try starting with fish, it might bit a bit easier for you to eat and feels lighter on the stomach.</blockquote>

That worked for us as well; after 18 years of vegetarianism, my wife and introduced fish into our diets a couple of years ago. Staying with the milder fishes at first also helped.

We just started re-introducing other meats when we made the Primal shift a couple of months ago, and we&#39;ve stuck with things that sounded good to us and only a couple of times a week to start (the first beef meal being a slow-cooked mushroom/beef vegetable stew, with only half of the beef the recipe called for -- we&#39;ve since ramped it up to a bit more than what the recipe calls for!).

We&#39;ve yet to start eating poultry, pork, etc., but plan to slowly work it in as we can find good healthy sources.

Mindi Guest

Thanks everyone for all the support and suggestions! It really really helps to know that I&#39;m not the only one trying to make the switch to primal from being a vegetarian/vegan.

Mincing and seasoning to kind of disguise meat sound like good ideas.

Any book that will help me wrap my head around the idea of eating an animal, (ouch! I&#39;m a major animal lover,) would be a great help - thanks.

Quorn just isn&#39;t an option because of the egg whites.

Your probably right about the gut work Sue. I tried some probiotics and um, let&#39;s just say the gurgling was so intense I thought I was reliving "Alien." Kind of a bummer because probiotics aren&#39;t cheap. Do you know of any good books or websites about gut repair?

Sue, I did think about digestive enzymes, have you used them and do you any suggestions about which ones to buy? I don&#39;t want to waste money on fancy ones when simpler ones will do.

SharonII,I&#39;ll check out the thread you suggested.

FabMandy, curious why you didn&#39;t add supplements right away. I&#39;ve been taking vegan supplements for awhile and just figured I&#39;d continue with them for the time being.

Unfortunately, never have been able to stand fish or shellfish, not a moral thing at all, just a reaction to it. I could possibly disguise it, but wonder if it is wise since my body may have its reasons for reacting that way.

It is helpful to hear that many people are taking it slowly and incorporating meat at whatever rate they can handle. I think building up slowly is the only possible way I can do this. And like I said, it makes a lot of sense, just hard to get the body and emotions on board.

Thanks again!

bruce.b is offline Member

>> Whatever you do, do NOT eat Quorn- sugar MSG and wheat? No thanks.<<

Why would you pick one that has those ingredients in it??? Not all of them do. There might be other reasons to avoid it but not because of what you wrote.

bruce b.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Mindi, the very best book about healing one&#39;s gut, which I really have found out works perfectly for me just as described, is "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall. There are also several websites run by people using this system to cure their dire diseases like Crohn&#39;s and Ulcerative Colitis, and their children&#39;s autism.

If you look it up on Amazon, read the testimonials, over 200 of them. This book has saved many lives and eased a tremendous amount of pain.

There are also "specific carbohydrate diet" (the name of the way of eating) cookbooks written by people who used the diet to cure themselves, but who also are gourmet cooks, unlike the author.

The only place where she failed, IMO, is her opinion that aspartame is probably all right, when it&#39;s really a total addictive endocrine-disrupting disaster!

Lierre Keith and her book "The Vegetarian Myth" has me thinking night and day. She&#39;s a brilliant author who has been through so much and can explain it so well! She writes this so much better than I can, but I can tell you what reading her ideas brought to my attention when thinking about eating animals.

Raising annual grain crops destroys not only the topsoil and our health, but the whole ecosystem. Vast fields worked by huge farm equipment produce a desert, where nothing can live except the one crop. Untold numbers of creatures of all kinds, from soil bacteria and tiny insects in the soil all the way up to large animals, grazers, predators, birds, other plants, butterflies, bees, little mice, everything -- they die, either killed directly or from loss of a place to survive. There is no room for them, only for the wheat, corn, or soybeans. The soil dies, the rivers are polluted, the oceans have dead zones, the aquifers are depleted and contaminated. This system of producing "clean, humane vegetable food" ruins the whole biosphere where it is practiced!

The choice isn&#39;t between eating grains and beans and letting the animals live, versus slaughter of them. It&#39;s about whether they will live at all, or be crowded out of the earth, or worse yet, be crammed full of grain they were never intended to eat, crowded together in awful conditions, dosed with antibiotics and killed after just a few months, before they drop dead.

You notice when we talk about eating meat, we also talk about avoiding CAFO (feedlot) meat, and getting grassfed and free range and pastured meat. The animals grow more slowly, but they live their proper lives. Chickens scratch and cluck and chase down bugs and whatever critters they can find (they are not vegans, they love hunting). They have their social life, they lay their eggs and sit on them instead of being trapped indoors on wire. The cows live longer, they eat the food they were intended to eat, they can be content and looked after properly instead of turned into a horrible industrial "commodity." And in their pastures are so many critters and plants and bugs and birds which otherwise -- they would have nowhere.

So, if the animals we eat are properly raised by good people on small farms, then humanely butchered, with nothing wasted, and we eat them, that is good, because it gives them good lives -- maybe not to a great span of years, but then in the wild most of them wouldn&#39;t have that either.

In my opinion, the only way we will be able to close down the feedlots and chicken concentration camps and the ruination of topsoil and pollution of rivers and the ruination of public health by high fructose corn syrup and other grain derivatives is by choosing carefully, paying a little more, and eating local meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, and greens, and avoiding grains and soy in particular.

I can tell you what I like to do, when I can. I like to see the animals which feed me, to look them in the eye. Each year I buy a lamb from a friend who grows fruit for the farmers market and raises a few head of sheep. If you have sheep, you have lamb, because half of the lambs are male, and you can&#39;t keep all those rams. Her sheep (maybe about 15 of them) hang out around a small man-made pond at the bottom of her south-facing slope of grapes, with several acres of grass around it. I can look down the hill at them, and say, "well, they are safely grazing, just like in Handel&#39;s Messiah!"

I like looking at the chickens which produce the eggs I buy, outdoors, fluffing their feathers and running after bugs.

I like visiting the other friend who grows Churro sheep, and watching the sheep and their one llama friend (their bodyguard) doing their sheep thing, some of the males with two horns, some with four, as is the Churro way. She sold me part of a 3-year-old Churro ram recently, saying "he lived a good life, with a lot of affection from us."

People will point out that city folk cannot all do this, and that is true; but many, many more people could visit their future food than realize they could, and I think it would be a good thing. Do we take responsibility for the animals which feed us? Do we assure that they live in good places and can enjoy their time on earth?

Vegans talk about their love of animals; how many even see animals? And how many visit grain farms with some idea of how such places work, and see what biologically poverty-stricken chemicalized monocrop deserts they are?

Joel Salatin, Polyface Farm -- that&#39;s our way forward, I think.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

One more thing we might consider -- aboriginal peoples honored their prey. They held ceremonies for them. Animals were sacred to them and were part of their religions. They felt a common bond with them, and how humans shared the earth with them as fellow creatures, not as rulers of everything else.

When we eat, do we feel thankful to the creatures who feed us so that we can also live?

I think this is an ancient human pattern for living which we might do well to remember and revive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast