Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sardines page

Healthy realist is offline Junior Member

Sardines

Ive read on some paleo blogs recently about eating sardines... And eating frequently. I'm not really familiar with them, but they are cheap and easy... Are sardines a good eating option and how do you guys eat them? Plain? On foods? In oil or water? Does quality/ brand matter? Thanks for the help!

WarSS48 is offline Junior Member
    I think sardines are good. But it should not be eaten frequently because of their preservatives.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarSS48 View Post
    I think sardines are good. But it should not be eaten frequently because of their preservatives.
    What preservatives?
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Ingredients: Sardines, water. Good to go. A little salt is fine, too. Sometimes you can find it with olive oil - but I don't know if it's real olive oil or counterfeit...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    One more tamarind, MATT DAMON
    might be the day I tried the liver - just like you

Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jaredc is offline Junior Member
    I love sardines. I buy mine from costco, and they are nearly twice the price has cheap sardines from grocery stores. However, they are well over twice as tasty and leave me feeling good and satisfied. Keep in mind that they are cooked and stored in cans. Don't make them a daily staple because of the BPA hazards, but don't be afraid to eat them occasionally. The ones I buy are in extra virgin olive oil and I find them to be delicious. Avoid sardines packed in junk like soy bean oil. According to the can, each serving of the sardines provides 1.3 grams of omega 3...

Healthy realist is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies! Does anyone recommend expensive sardines? I saw ones at the seafood counter at Whole Foods for about $8 pack, but they're only about $3 a can.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    The fresh ones are much, much tastier than the tinned, and taste 'healthier' IMO. So I recommend you treat yourself on a special occasion. They're great baked in the oven Mediterranean style in a marinade of olive oil, lemon, fresh chilli, garlic, onion, and fresh parsley.

And they are also yummy eaten cold as leftovers the following day in a salad.

ETA: Generally, I think sardines are a great healthy, affordable choice of oily fish. They don't accumulate so many toxins as larger top-feeding fish.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 06-16-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: ETA
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

I guess I wasn't really aware of the BPA hazard from canned sardines. I've been eating a can per day of the Wild Ocean brand. Maybe I should just start eating wild Alaskan salmon every day.

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    The BPA issue is with any canned food, not just sardines, so if the alaskan salmon is canned it's got the same issue.

I love sardines. Ironically, I just sat down with a sardine salad (like tuna salad, but sardines) for lunch before I read this post The ones with bones and skin in oil are good but sometimes I just want the boneless, skinless ones packed in water. They taste a lot like tuna.

They're a good source of omega 3 and like someone else said, they are low on the food chain so don't have as much mercury (and whatever else) as the larger fish do.

PrimalCon New York
    Yeah, I don't like the canned salmon. I get salmon in a frozen bag. Just going to have to do more cooking I guess.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast