Thread: Howdy, 3 weeks in! page

Taggy G is offline Junior Member

Red face Howdy, 3 weeks in!

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone! Sorry, to dump yet another primal newbie story on you all, but hey it's what this is here for, right? (My mistake! I've actually only been in for 2ish weeks! Sorry!)
    My name's Taggy and I am sick of tried of feeling like crap and hating myself aaaaand being fat. Everyone tries to sugar coat it and tell me I'm not, but I used to be 120 lbs. I'm 206lbs and have been struggling with that weight for 5 years. I had a real bad relationship and turned to food. I gained 40 pounds in a year. And kept eating everything I could. Things weren't going well. I'd tried a lot of different diets over that time. I had the most success with Weight Watchers, but it was way to tedious. Now I'm in art school getting my life together. My buddy told me about the Primal Blueprint and I am just hooked. I have so many questions and queries I just don't even know where to begin. I guess I'll try to sum it up real quick.

* I've been sleeping an ungodly amount. Like 10 or more hours a day. Wake up, eat, walk dog, enjoy outside for a bit, swim, take 1-4 hour nap, repeat then sleep for the night. Is this part of the carb flu? I've been UBER primal for the whole 3 weeks with an occasional swig of cream. But absolutely NO cheating. I did, however, switch over-night from a woe-as-me-i'm-a-poor-art-student diet of ramen noodles, peanut butter sammies and LOTSO mac n cheese. I was expecting carb flu to hit me hard, but could this sleeping be just that?

* I don't number crunch well, how do I know if I'm eating enough proteins?

I eat when I'm hungry and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I wait to make something to eat.

I'm having no problems meating and fatting it up. I LOVE all animal flesh lol especially the fatty bits. Same with butter and oils.

I've been eating quite a bit of fruits like grapes, oranges, apples and bananas. I am a serious sugar addict and these guys are helping with my fiending lol

This past week I've started the PBF regiment and love it! I'm so freaking weak though. Starting out on level 1 stuff haha.

* Thanks to so many failures in my past, I am super scared that this won't work for me. I don't care what the scale says as long as I feel good and Mr. Mirror tells me I look good. If I stick with it like super glue and continue to enjoy every second of it, will this new lifestyle be the one that leads me to an awesome life?

Oy, sorry for all of this, guys! Thanks to those who read all of this haha
    See you guys around!
    - Taggy
    Last edited by Taggy G; 06-17-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Mistake.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Taggy. I can't imagine this is still carb flu. Probably your body is still repairing and adjusting.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taggy G View Post
    * I've been sleeping an ungodly amount. Like 10 or more hours a day. Wake up, eat, walk dog, enjoy outside for a bit, swim, take 1-4 hour nap, repeat then sleep for the night. Is this part of the carb flu? I've been UBER primal for the whole 3 weeks with an occasional swig of cream. But absolutely NO cheating. I did, however, switch over-night from a woe-as-me-i'm-a-poor-art-student diet of ramen noodles, peanut butter sammies and LOTSO mac n cheese. I was expecting carb flu to hit me hard, but could this sleeping be just that?
    Don't think so. The current view seems to be that the so-called "low carb flu" is mostly low-electrolyte flu. If you go very low-carb, your kidneys start dumping water and sodium. You're not VLC -- you say "I've been eating quite a bit of fruits" -- so it doesn't apply to you.

* I don't number crunch well, how do I know if I'm eating enough proteins?
    OK. You say you used be 120 lbs. Let's assume that's your proper weight.

The minimum protein allowance anyone would recommend would be 1 gram per kilogram of bodyweight, which would be 54 g.

The Primal Blueprint recommends a bit more -- 0.7 g per lb of (lean as opposed to total) bodymass.

Now, your lean bodymass at 120 lb might be around 100 lb. So the Primal Blueprint would recommend 70 g (but up to 100 g if you were doing very strenuous exercise).

A piece of protein-rich food obviously has other things in it besides protein -- water and fat, mainly. So there's 6 g of protein in an egg, 28 g of protein in 3 ounces of roast beef, 22 g of protein in 3 ounces of tuna. Table here:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...t/sr18a203.pdf

What that's going to work out as is something like 8 ounces of meat a day (but up to 12 ounces if you were doing very strenuous exercise). There you go. Something like 3 or 4 ounces of meat per meal. You might have a two or three eggs and some bacon at one meal instead: that would be equivalent. For reference: a 3 ounce piece of meat is about the size of a deck of cards.

That's approximate. It doesn't matter if you're somewhat above or below.

If I stick with it like super glue and continue to enjoy every second of it, will this new lifestyle be the one that leads me to an awesome life?
    Yes. <grin>

Oh awesome! Thank you so much, Lewis!!

I hope so, haha. And thank you for the welcome

Ronstar is offline Member
    Welcome Taggy!!