Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Are you paranoid you'll get cancer? page 5

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Nope.

Eat nutrient dense foods (especially offal), reduce toxins, exercise (sweat = detox), fast every now and then, don't put anything on your skin that you wouldn't eat, Vitamin D, iodine... All good.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I will say that I sometimes get a little confused when people think "If I eat right and stay away from toxins, then I'll live to a ripe old age and die quietly in my sleep, surprising everyone around me."

Yeah... sort of.

It will definitely help, but the fact is that shit happens, life happens, and we really can't completely control when we exit this world. All we can do is improve our odds, and I'm all for that.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'm not so much afraid of death, but I'm terrified of cancer. I'm 34, and so far, I have lost all four grandparents, my mother, and my aunt to cancer. That's not counting the people in my life who've survived cancer at this point, including my younger brother. With that sort of history, it's frightening sometimes, especially because the brain cancer that my mother and her sister died from is genetically linked--it's not certain yet whether it's heritable. My family are not unhealthy people: they are all very active, eat fairly well (not much junk or processed food, no sugar addicts), spend lots of time outdoors, and so on. Sometimes, the genetic dice are loaded against you.

I watched my mother fight her cancer for seven years before she died. I saw her lose capacities one by one, and I visited her in a hospice for two years, two years when every phone call was maybe that call and when we kept several overnight vigils because it looked like she was not going to make it.

I thought I was more okay with it. My mother was an amazing woman who found joy and peace throughout her battle. But I recently had a cancer scare, and I was an absolute mess. I realized that I am really, really terrified, not of death but of the suffering that comes with a drawn-out death from cancer.

It's all very well for people to say "stop worrying", but it's not a rational fear. It's deep seated, almost phobic, not something I can just get over easily.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I'm not so much afraid of death, but I'm terrified of cancer. I'm 34, and so far, I have lost all four grandparents, my mother, and my aunt to cancer. That's not counting the people in my life who've survived cancer at this point, including my younger brother. With that sort of history, it's frightening sometimes, especially because the brain cancer that my mother and her sister died from is genetically linked--it's not certain yet whether it's heritable. My family are not unhealthy people: they are all very active, eat fairly well (not much junk or processed food, no sugar addicts), spend lots of time outdoors, and so on. Sometimes, the genetic dice are loaded against you.

I watched my mother fight her cancer for seven years before she died. I saw her lose capacities one by one, and I visited her in a hospice for two years, two years when every phone call was maybe that call and when we kept several overnight vigils because it looked like she was not going to make it.

I thought I was more okay with it. My mother was an amazing woman who found joy and peace throughout her battle. But I recently had a cancer scare, and I was an absolute mess. I realized that I am really, really terrified, not of death but of the suffering that comes with a drawn-out death from cancer.

It's all very well for people to say "stop worrying", but it's not a rational fear. It's deep seated, almost phobic, not something I can just get over easily.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. Especially your Mum.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

patski is offline Senior Member
    I lost both my parents to what I feel are completely preventable diseases: dad to heart disease in 2005, mom to an unknown cancer in 2009. Losing mom was harder, as I was her caregiver, and it was a seriously draining experience. Unless you've been a caregiver, you have no idea what that person goes through mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally. Hell, I'm *still* dealing with it.

When I found MDA in late 2009 I vowed that would never be me. Now I have candida which freaks me out, because as one Italian oncologist has said "cancer IS a fungus" and he's found candida in over 75% of his patients.

To say I'm paranoid about getting cancer is probably pushing it: I'm more pissed off at my candida, but I'm not mentally suggesting to myself that OMG DUDE YOU HAVE CANCER YER GONNA DIE LIKE MOM. No...instead, I'm working on killing it as best as I can. But it may run in my genes. Mom's dad passed from colon cancer. It does scare me, but I try not to think about it. I make changes where I can, where I *know* I can help prevent disease.

Owly, I'm so sorry to hear your mom's illness went on for so long. My mom was gone in a matter of months. Either way, it is a serious bastard of a disease.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    my gracious, you've had a time of it. am so sorry.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Paleobird Guest
    patski, cancer is not, never has been, and never will be a fungus. The Italian oncologist telling you otherwise is a charlatan.

Your candida and any potential cancer you could get in the future are irrelevant to one another. Just medical facts. Put a cancer cell and a fungus cell under a microscope. Any first year biology student could tell, they are not the same thing.

God, I wish this kind of medical misinformation would just die quietly, but in the internet age, that is not likely.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    candida is common in those who eat the SAD, but cancer is not a fungus. yikes.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Maybe the doctor meant that cancer is like a fungus? In that it divides and grows, and overtakes surrounding tissue to such an aggressive extent, that the only way to prevent the spread is to not only destroy the infected tissue, but the tissue/cells surrounding it? I don't know, obviously. As someone who has had to have multiple laser surgeries on my foot to kill plantar's warts, though, I can tell you, fungus is insanely agressive and hard to treat. I have a scar the size of a half-dollar on my heal, and it goes down to the muscle. It painful to walk on, 15 years later, and it makes working out a real effort.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I recently watched a video explaining cancer. While Mr. Italiano is probably wrong, the fact that he found candida in 75% of his cancer patients still freaks me out.

When you watch your mother die slowly...day in, day out, and finally choke to death on her own vomit: that there...that is real fear. I think I've learned to hide it. But believe me, hiding or not dealing with it has consequences that I'm paying for. Anxiety and depression are just two of them.

I'm sorry - didn't want to get all emo 'n shit on ya'll. It's been a tough night.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast