Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you paranoid you'll get cancer? page 4

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    For me, cancer isn't the big scary thing, brain malfunction is. No one in my family has had cancer other than a tiny spot of skin cancer on my mom's nose. I used to get benign tumors all the time, so it doesn't feel like a real threat to me (delusion is a wonderful thing).

On the other hand, my maternal grandfather had Alzheimers, my dad had Parkinsons, and his dad was always a bit bizarre. I've had 7 concussions, so brain problems are a real issue in my life. When you feel that going wrong, that's some scary shit, and I'm not sure I could handle being messed up beyond a certain point.

As far as death goes, it's a 100% diagnosis for everyone unless something drastic happens scientifically speaking, and I'm fine with knowing I will die someday. The only difficult part for me is worrying how my sons, boyfriend and mom will deal with it. I'm more worried about losing my loved ones than I am myself.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    OP, you seem to be living in fear. While spending your time with your loved ones and 'make it count' is alright,
    I don't think you should be doing it because you're afraid.

Everybody dies. I don't see any reason to stress yourself over something you can't prevent.

You remind me of my mother. She's in her 60's, overweight and obsessed about her lack of health.
    Every little ache scares her. Even if it's not her "ache".
    When talking to relatives, it's a pure self-pity fest.
    When she's like that, I always make a gag - "it must be the brain tumor gettin' bigger!" etc.

If you're worried about your psychical, do something about it.
    If you're doing something about it (livin' primal, for example..) - what else is there to do?

The only disease you will get is the one caused by your own anxiety.
    Gilleh, I don't think you've read thoroughly- I AM doing something about it.

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    Maybe I'm too young to comment with full understanding of cancer, but right now I don't feel like I'm scared at death, because it's inevitable. I am scared of the dying, and having lost two grandmas to cancer (my mom's side to skin and my father side of cancer in the utherus) I'm conscious of the possibility of getting something, even if I try to eat really primal and stuff.

Now that you mention this, I am terrified of my mom getting something. Considering that she doesn't eat Primal at all, and I don't think she intends to in the future.. :/

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    For me, cancer isn't the big scary thing, brain malfunction is. No one in my family has had cancer other than a tiny spot of skin cancer on my mom's nose. I used to get benign tumors all the time, so it doesn't feel like a real threat to me (delusion is a wonderful thing).

On the other hand, my maternal grandfather had Alzheimers, my dad had Parkinsons, and his dad was always a bit bizarre. I've had 7 concussions, so brain problems are a real issue in my life. When you feel that going wrong, that's some scary shit, and I'm not sure I could handle being messed up beyond a certain point.

As far as death goes, it's a 100% diagnosis for everyone unless something drastic happens scientifically speaking, and I'm fine with knowing I will die someday. The only difficult part for me is worrying how my sons, boyfriend and mom will deal with it. I'm more worried about losing my loved ones than I am myself.

I live with brain malfunction...
    It's just like any other medical problem, once you are in the middle of it you deal with it the best you can.
    That said... I'm well aware of the steps and have access to materials necessary for a easy and peaceful ending if it comes to that.
    I'd deal with cancer the same way if I were Dx'd with that.
    (NO, I don't plan on offing myself for no reason, but I also do not agree with the prohibitions against dying on your own terms and with dignity in this country. If you don't agree with that for personal reasons that's fine... no one will force you to end your life. In fact they will probably hook you to machines and keep you alive for as long as possible regardless of your quality of 'life'.)
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    It's just like any other medical problem, once you are in the middle of it you deal with it the best you can.
    That said... I'm well aware of the steps and have access to materials necessary for a easy and peaceful ending if it comes to that.
    (NO, I don't plan on offing myself for no reason, but I also do not agree with the prohibitions against dying on your own terms and with dignity in this country. If you don't agree with that for personal reasons that's fine... no one will force you to end your life. In fact they will probably hook you to machines and keep you alive for as long as possible regardless of your quality of 'life'.)
    My mom, who was my dad's primary caregiver for all but the last 2 years of his Parkinson's, has told us more than once that we will learn of any terminal illness diagnosis through her suicide note. And I absolutely believe her. I can't say I see the point to hanging out just to see how bad it will get. Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    we also have alzheimers in the family, I knew my great-great-grandmother, pre-illness until I was seven, the last 15 years of her life, she spent, bed-bound, forgot her english and would call me by my mother's name. I wanted her so badly to remember me. She always cooked my favorite foods and bought me purple things, my favorite color. My great grandmother and my grandmother are constantly vigilant about developing alzheimers, but,so far, their screenings are fine.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Not at all.

It doesn't run in the family, i do most of the activities that prevent, and I'm not worried about it overall.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Gilleh, I don't think you've read thoroughly- I AM doing something about it.
    I think there is a big difference between obsessive paralyzing fear that keeps you from enjoying your life and real rational concern that leads to positive changes thereby giving you more life to enjoy. I think the OP is the latter, as am I.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Couldn't have said it better. The only two times in 50 years that I have considered taking the side exit out of life were when I started having seizures in my early 20's and then in the middle of the cancer chaos. I'm very glad that, in each case, I decided not to take that road, but knowing that I had that option was very empowering. Because I had the option to end it, every day that I continued living was an active choice on my part.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think there is a big difference between obsessive paralyzing fear that keeps you from enjoying your life and real rational concern that leads to positive changes thereby giving you more life to enjoy. I think the OP is the latter, as am I.
    Count me right there with you.

I would have thought that this view would be more understood here, rather than the oversimplification to fear of cancer= fear of death, but the fear of loss, suffering, and helplessness that can come with cancer and other serious diseases.
    Fear of negative health consequences can be GOOD thing.
    It encourages better eating habits, better exercise habits in general, and weight loss (not necessarily body building/sculpting style) for many who will benefit from it... better health habits in general.
    Fear need not be perceived as a negative...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast