Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you paranoid you'll get cancer? page 3

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    I'd urge him to try an electronic cigarette (e-cig). I was a 30+ a day smoker for 30 years with no hope of quitting until I bought an e-cig around 4 months ago. I've not had another cigarette since & have no intentions of doing so, mainly because the e-cig means I've had absolutely no cravings. Being able to put something in your mouth & inhale 'smoke' (actually water vapour) makes them so much more effective than any of the traditional nicotine replacement options.
    +1. I've used electronic cigarettes and weaned myself off them a year ago. I found them a bit of a faff, but much better than some disposable ones I tried that tasted disgusting.

Raw nicotine is not carcinogenic and can be very beneficial as an anti-inflammatory.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Raw nicotine is not carcinogenic and can be very beneficial as an anti-inflammatory.
    I've been using nicotine-free liquid for a few weeks - perhaps I should switch back. But then again... maybe not.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    I've been using nicotine-free liquid for a few weeks - perhaps I should switch back. But then again... maybe not.
    Excellent. Good for you.

Depends how you feel. The downside is obviously nicotine's addictive nature plus the cost. I find it better psychologically to be free from that addiction, especially as I have an addictive personality.

I've found that eating primally has almost cured most of my inflammatory problems. They tend only to resurface when I get stressed or experiment with reintroducing foods that I may have mild intolerances to.

On balance am happier now, being nicotine free.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    I can relate, Rasputina; I was terrified of death from as young as ten.. always thought I had cancer, or would soon develop it. Told my mother about it a few times. She'd try and reassure me, but it didn't help all that much. That stayed with me for some time - a feeling of dread in the background. Then a few years back I found a book that really had a life-changing effect. Have you heard of Eckhart Tolle? It was his book The Power of Now - very enlightening, and before I'd finished reading it the fear had vanished. Another good one of his is A New Earth. Would really recommend them, especially if you get worrisome thoughts.
    All the best,
    Randall

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, randal, I am working through my anxiety with plenty of sunshine, exercise, writing and painting. My husband wants to take up meditation again.
    My husband has quit smoking for years at a time- cold turkey. Ironically he started again when his father died. He knows it's time to quit, but I can't force him to. As for being afraid of death, well, that's not exactly it- I am afraid of loss.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It's like you are dying of cancer over and over again every day in your head when you worry. Instead, go out there and give yourself something to really worry about. Like will the parachute open? Will I get eaten by a bear? Will the bungie cord hold? Something like that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Not really. My family is actually quite healthy. I never thought of them as healthy until I started medical school and saw people who were in their early 50s and dying of heart failure, cancer, COPD - you name it. My greatgrandma had stomach cancer in her 70s, which was successfully treated, and then ovarian or endometrial cancer a few years ago in her late 80s - again, treated surgically. None of my other relatives, whether my greatgrandfather or younger family members have had cancer. My grandmother had a heart attack fairly early, in her 50s, I believe, but she never exercised at all and had a very stressful job, so I'm not terribly worried about it. We have some mental illness in the family (grandma with schizophrenia, and my father is an undiagnosed bipolar and borderline personality), but it's not that severe. I already have depression, so I'd like to think I've had my share of mental illness and am off the hook otherwise, haha.

Jer37208 is offline Member
    The more primal I get the more I see how full of poison the modern world truly is. It's frustrating, but all I can do is minimize my own risk and hope for the best. I'm 31, but I seriously think a good 30-40% of people my age are going to die of cancer. I aim to not be one of them

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    the only cancer in my family was for those who smoked. my mother, a life-long smoker, has had a series of blood-pressure related strokes that has left her with dementia and in a wheelchair. she needs 24-hour care. she is not yet 70.

a close friend, a heavy smoker most of his life, just died of lung cancer at 60. his wife, also a former heavy smoker, is dying now of brain cancer.

my father's parents both smoked but died peacefully in their late 80s.

i don't smoke, lol. i try to do the right things. i do not "fear" cancer, no, but honestly give very little thought to my own death. however seeing my mother, who often doesn't know who i am, makes me know i do not want longevity if it's on those kinds of terms.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    OP, you seem to be living in fear. While spending your time with your loved ones and 'make it count' is alright,
    I don't think you should be doing it because you're afraid.

Everybody dies. I don't see any reason to stress yourself over something you can't prevent.

You remind me of my mother. She's in her 60's, overweight and obsessed about her lack of health.
    Every little ache scares her. Even if it's not her "ache".
    When talking to relatives, it's a pure self-pity fest.
    When she's like that, I always make a gag - "it must be the brain tumor gettin' bigger!" etc.

If you're worried about your psychical, do something about it.
    If you're doing something about it (livin' primal, for example..) - what else is there to do?

The only disease you will get is the one caused by your own anxiety.
    Last edited by Gilleh; 06-16-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast