Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought a kettlebell page

Rasputina is offline Senior Member

Just bought a kettlebell

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How many times per week would you recommend a kettlebell workout? I'm starting with 10lbs. I'm thinking of taking it to the park during my hour lunch break and using it there.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    I think that would depend on your recovery. You could use it every lift day if you're not sore or do different lifts each workout day with it. They're so versatile. From swings to snatches to pushups, there's all sorts of different ways you can change it up with them.
    Last edited by pace2race; 06-16-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Thanks! I want to do it every day! I love hurling heavy things in my backyard- I pretend I'm hurling at various people

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    10lbs? I thought most women started with at least 18lbs. I seriously think 10lbs might be too light for you, especially for swings. You could probably do getups and presses with that weight but you'll outgrow it quickly. It has been suggested in various places that for swings most people benefit from a KB about 30% of their weight.

In "Enter the Kettlebell" the introductory workout called the Program Minimum calls for four weekly workouts, 2 of getups and 2 of swings.

No, trust me, 10lbs, is plenty heavy for me!! My wrists are so small that I can wrap my fingers around one, with two inches to spare. My legs are strong, my arms are weak sticks!

patski is offline Senior Member
    10lbs is puny!!!

CrossFit Kettlebell Swings - YouTube

That's how you do kettle bell swings properly. Ignore the shitty music.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    No, trust me, 10lbs, is plenty heavy for me!! My wrists are so small that I can wrap my fingers around one, with two inches to spare. My legs are strong, my arms are weak sticks!
    No like the other guy said it is kind of puny, especially for swings. I don't see how you'll get much impact at all from swings with that.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    No like the other guy said it is kind of puny, especially for swings. I don't see how you'll get much impact at all from swings with that.
    Women's tendons and ligaments are much more flexible than men's, thus dynamic movements with weights can feel uncomfortable and wrong, and run the risk of damaging them. So it's prudent for women to build up slowly, from what they feel comfortable with. Muscle strength is often not the limiting factor.

I have hypermobile joints and 8 lbs is all I can manage with kettlebell swings. I don't do them anymore. This is not because I'm puny - it's just that isolation exercises with weights work much better for me and I can lift a lot more in those.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I started with 15 lbs and there are some motions I can't do with it, so I can understand why you'd start with 10. I do quick workouts (10-20 min) with my kettlebell just a few times a week and have noticed some muscle definition (starting with basically none and fairly low bf %).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I started with 15 lbs and there are some motions I can't do with it, so I can understand why you'd start with 10. I do quick workouts (10-20 min) with my kettlebell just a few times a week and have noticed some muscle definition (starting with basically none and fairly low bf %).
    Very encouraging! I have, zero strength, so I'm starting slow

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast