Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just bought a kettlebell page 4

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Welcome to the world of kettlebells.

They are great to use and can be a lot of fun.

Take your time and get the technique right with your 10lb KB first and you will have a great foundation. Your body will tell you when it is time to move up when your body isn't aching 3 days later!!

I do a KB class twice a week with a fairly light weight (12KG) but it is a more cardio/high reps based class.

I do other stuff outside of this but use KB for conditioning/cardio for sport rather than strength.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Good for you!!!! Welcome to the family. I use the bells 4 X week. Love em. 10 lbs sounds like a great weight for you to start with. Move up when you are ready. Don't worry about what other people think sometimes the best of intentions can come across in written form as being, well kind of asshole-ish....... Enjoy and bell on....
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Adam and Tor, for the encouragement! I can see where it could become a pleasant addiction

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    You're far more likely to aggravate a tendonitis condition with a higher volume, lighter weight repetitive movement than a heavier weight, lower volume movement.
    I'm sure you are right ... however, I find that both extremes bring on my tendonitis. So I find that I am best off in the middle ground, with a restricted range of movement lifting significant weights, if that makes sense. That's helped me build up muscle strength and bulk, and I have made very good progress in my upper body where I was previously weak.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Just scored a 20kg with competition handle off of Craig's list. Doing 2-handed swings for now. Kettle bells = tough love!

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    You'll become more and more addicted the more you train with them. I'm currently working on a buildup phase before I start doing swing cycles a la I Will Be Iron (Bud Jeffries' newest book).

Current goal: 500 consecutive swings with the 16kg...then it's up to the 24kg.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvRevFit View Post
    Current goal: 500 consecutive swings with the 16kg...then it's up to the 24kg.
    That's got to need some serious mental as well as physical stamina. I'd either get bored or lose count! Let us know how you get on

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I know you are planning on sticking to 10lbs, but I'll share my perspective.

The actual form of how you do swings is way, way important. It will either make or break you - it is the difference between injury and strength increase.

When I started, I was using a 10lb bell... and, that was too light. I kept "helping" it to swing up. That will hurt/injure your upper body/arms. Can even wreck your lower back. I'm using a 20lb bell now, and seriously looking for a heavier bell. 20 lbs is almost too light.

The really important thing about the kb, is how comfortable you can hold the handle with two hands. If you have small hands, then you need a smaller diameter handle. If you try a heavier bell with a larger diameter handle, and it hurts, then it might be the grip. Since your arms should be totally locked in place as you swing, with virtually no movement in your shoulder sockets, all that weight will actually be supported by your thighs & butt. (make sure your abs are tightly locked, too)

Anyway, yes, this was unasked for advice, but I figure why would you want to possibly hurt yourself? YMMV

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    Yes, I know you are planning on sticking to 10lbs, but I'll share my perspective.

The actual form of how you do swings is way, way important. It will either make or break you - it is the difference between injury and strength increase.

When I started, I was using a 10lb bell... and, that was too light. I kept "helping" it to swing up. That will hurt/injure your upper body/arms. Can even wreck your lower back. I'm using a 20lb bell now, and seriously looking for a heavier bell. 20 lbs is almost too light.

The really important thing about the kb, is how comfortable you can hold the handle with two hands. If you have small hands, then you need a smaller diameter handle. If you try a heavier bell with a larger diameter handle, and it hurts, then it might be the grip. Since your arms should be totally locked in place as you swing, with virtually no movement in your shoulder sockets, all that weight will actually be supported by your thighs & butt. (make sure your abs are tightly locked, too)

Anyway, yes, this was unasked for advice, but I figure why would you want to possibly hurt yourself? YMMV
    I've been at it for two weeks- injury free. Thanks for the input.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    That's got to need some serious mental as well as physical stamina. I'd either get bored or lose count! Let us know how you get on
    I'll definitely be reporting my progress! Most likely in my journal. Depending on how it goes I may also start a separate topic about it.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234