Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a kettlebell page 3

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    I've been doing kettlebells for 4 years and read a lot of books and materials. The primary benefit from kettlebells is explosive full body ballistic work like swings, snatches, and cleans that the kettlebell's form makes possible--it's very hard to do a snatch or swing with a dumbbell. Grinding movements (like presses and getups) while beneficial can be replicated with a 10lb dumbbell or other weight. In order to be effective, many suggest that full body ballistic movements need to be done with a certain weight relative to body weight. For this reason, most suggest that average women start with an 8kg weight.

The main manufacturer in the US of competition style kettlebells for the oldest style of KB lifting called girevoy sport does not even sell KB for women below 8kg. Check it out here: Kettlebells - VF Performance - Women - World Kettlebell Club Store
    Many women that train use two 8kg KBs for moves like jerks and push presses, of course they use one for snatches. Many purists might cynically suggest that very small KBs are a marketing fad used to gain from the proliferation of KB in more mainstream areas.

It's a free world where we live and you can do whatever you want. Because of the core benefit of KBs being ballistic moves and the corresponding need to have a certain KB to body weight ratio, I suggested a heavier weight to benefit, a view which I believe is entirely consistent and supported with the overwhelming body of evidence I have encountered in my study of kettlebells over the past few years.

No I am not a doctor. When you post on a forum and ask for advice and get it, why do you upset?
    Never, in my question did I ask for advice on the weight of my kettlebells, you took it upon yourself to tell me mine were to light. My question was asking about frequency of workouts.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pace2race View Post
    I think that would depend on your recovery. You could use it every lift day if you're not sore or do different lifts each workout day with it. They're so versatile. From swings to snatches to pushups, there's all sorts of different ways you can change it up with them.
    I agree...your let your recovery time drive the frequency.

Be mindful that this can change/vary over time, based on your strength gains and the intensity of your workouts.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Never, in my question did I ask for advice on the weight of my kettlebells, you took it upon yourself to tell me mine were to light. My question was asking about frequency of workouts.
    Just to play devils advocate - the relative weight of your kettlebell an important factor when it comes to the frequency of your workouts so it's a pretty valid question.

I think the general theme is that you should be lifting heavier (this is of course relative to your current ability and a range of other factors) and less frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Just to play devils advocate - the relative weight of your kettlebell an important factor when it comes to the frequency of your workouts so it's a pretty valid question.

I think the general theme is that you should be lifting heavier (this is of course relative to your current ability and a range of other factors) and less frequently.
    I suppose you missed the part about my tendonitis?

I suppose you missed the part about my tendonitis?
    You're far more likely to aggravate a tendonitis condition with a higher volume, lighter weight repetitive movement than a heavier weight, lower volume movement.

I'm sticking with the 10lbs. I will move up when I'm ready. Thanks for your concern.

I actually wasn't suggesting you move up weight at all. That was the other guy.

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    No, trust me, 10lbs, is plenty heavy for me!! My wrists are so small that I can wrap my fingers around one, with two inches to spare. My legs are strong, my arms are weak sticks!
    Kettlebells are mostly lower body and core - you will quickly outgrow a 10 pounder. I've outgrown my 18 pound and use a 22 and 26 pound one regularly - I swing 35 pounds.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Leida is offline Senior Member
    10 lbs is very light for a KB. You won't feel it on anything save for a Turkish get-up or some sick 100x100 of the overhead snatches. However, it is a good weight for you to learn the moves without hurting yourself.

Normally, when you train with KBs, just like with dumbbells and bars and anything else, you need a range of weights for any lift to find the range where the challenge is there, but the hurt is not.

3x a week is a good start for KB, try to see if your local library has a book called Kettlebell Training for Athlets, it is by far the best KB book I have seen.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-18-2012 at 05:47 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I did my first kettlebell workout yesterday, with my 10lbs, I am slightly sore this morning. I was challenging for me, but fun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast