Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a kettlebell page 2

FitMountain is offline Member
    Shop Now
    You could probably stand to do swings every day as long as your form is dialed in (seek the advice of a trainer) and not pushing the limits of your ability.
    http://facebook.com/fitmountain

Know your limits. Then shatter them.

young.glass is offline Junior Member
    If you do them properly Kettlebell swings are only supposed to really work out your lower body and core (i.e. legs, glutes, abs and the like). I can't speak to the issues raised by paleo bunny, but if your arms are really tired after kettlebell swings you are probably doing them wrong.

FitMountain is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by young.glass View Post
    If you do them properly Kettlebell swings are only supposed to really work out your lower body and core (i.e. legs, glutes, abs and the like). I can't speak to the issues raised by paleo bunny, but if your arms are really tired after kettlebell swings you are probably doing them wrong.
    True Mr. Glass, the swing is not a squat to front raise!
    http://facebook.com/fitmountain

Know your limits. Then shatter them.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Women's tendons and ligaments are much more flexible than men's, thus dynamic movements with weights can feel uncomfortable and wrong, and run the risk of damaging them. So it's prudent for women to build up slowly, from what they feel comfortable with. Muscle strength is often not the limiting factor.

I have hypermobile joints and 8 lbs is all I can manage with kettlebell swings. I don't do them anymore. This is not because I'm puny - it's just that isolation exercises with weights work much better for me and I can lift a lot more in those.
    If it is uncomfortable that some joint pain ensues during swings, then I would not them. If this is not the case, then swings (I'm not talking about getups or presses) with a 10lb weight is really extremely light. My six year old daughter (about 50lbs) can pick up in deadlift form my 35lb kettlebell for multiple reps and can hold in a rack an 18lb one, with barely any coaching from me--she is too young for swings though. 10lbs is so close to so many things one has to port around in life (a gallon of milk, a jug of laundry detergent, bag of groceries, two bottles of wine, heck my youngest daughter weighted 8lbs when she was born, etc.) that if you have problems with that I would be concerned about that there may be some other issues, possibly endocrinological, holding you back.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    If it is uncomfortable that some joint pain ensues during swings, then I would not them. If this is not the case, then swings (I'm not talking about getups or presses) with a 10lb weight is really extremely light. My six year old daughter (about 50lbs) can pick up in deadlift form my 35lb kettlebell for multiple reps and can hold in a rack an 18lb one, with barely any coaching from me--she is too young for swings though. 10lbs is so close to so many things one has to port around in life (a gallon of milk, a jug of laundry detergent, bag of groceries, two bottles of wine, heck my youngest daughter weighted 8lbs when she was born, etc.) that if you have problems with that I would be concerned about that there may be some other issues, possibly endocrinological, holding you back.
    why does it bother you so much that I want to start with 10 lbs? I do have recurring tendonitis, and wear a brace when performing repetitive movements. Are you a doctor? My doc is the one who recommended I take it easy. It's my body, not yours.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    I've stopped doing kettlebell swings, as I stated. I can carry a heavy bag of shopping weighing 10 lbs no problem because that doesn't involve dynamic movement in my joints. I have big strong muscles and weak joints. You missed my point entirely.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    why does it bother you so much that I want to start with 10 lbs? I do have recurring tendonitis, and wear a brace when performing repetitive movements. Are you a doctor? My doc is the one who recommended I take it easy. It's my body, not yours.
    Same here re: tendonitis, with my tennis elbow. You are wise to be cautious.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    This is where I trained for over 2 years with the KBs. I now train on my own thanks to them. Very informative, and good people. Check out the DVDs if you're looking into something like that. Stay light to start for sure:-) They will certainly help your tendonitis, and improve core strength/flexibility greatly. Good luck, and Rock out with your Grok out!

SKOGG System - SKOGG Gym

pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    How many times per week would you recommend a kettlebell workout? I'm starting with 10lbs. I'm thinking of taking it to the park during my hour lunch break and using it there.
    Hi, Rasputina.

Training protocols would vary according to individual circumstances. It appears you are a relative beginner, so I would suggest two days on, two days off (one day up to 75% of HRM; the other exceed this.) Rest and recovery being as an important part of exercise as the work (And I believe this to be consonant with Primal protocols.)

It is a good thing to start with a weight with which you are comfortable, and isn't too heavy; at least until you have the form dialed-in. (It is my experience, as an instructor, that what are suggested as ideal starting weights for men and women (16kg and 8kg, respectively) vary according to mastery of technique as much as prior levels of fitness.) As far as technique is concerned, it is important to have access to an instructor or at least video tutorials from those who know their stuff (In this regard I would suggest Steve Cotter's 'Encyclopedia of Kettlebell Lifting. Vol.1.)* For example, it appeared to me that on the video tutorial of the crossfit swings the kettlebell was being 'muscled' up (This was my perception and I'm open to be mistaken.)

With regard to aching arms; this is not unusual, for kettlebell swings take a toll on the grip, and thus the forearms and what is connected to them (This is covered in this tutorial by Valery Fedorenko (A Master of Sport (Russian Kettlebell Honours.) Towards the end of the tutorial it is possible to appreciate that the swing is not strictly a lower-body exercise (though, it is true that this is commonly the case.) Valery shows how using shoulder/upperback activation helps build into the snatch.)

All the best.

*I obtained my IKFF (levels I & II) certification under Steve Cotter, a number of years ago. This is not why I suggest his work. I believe that Cotter's work is the most thorough introduction to KB lifting for the beginner. (Other material that is available includes; the youtube channel of Valery Fedorenko (that I have linked above), Denis Kanygin's 'Systema' DVDs/website (though, excellent and detailed these two are more for those into girovoy/kettlebell sport) and Coach Sonnon's 'Official Kettlebell Foundation' DVDs.
    Last edited by pdjesson; 06-16-2012 at 09:59 PM.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing kettlebells for 4 years and read a lot of books and materials. The primary benefit from kettlebells is explosive full body ballistic work like swings, snatches, and cleans that the kettlebell's form makes possible--it's very hard to do a snatch or swing with a dumbbell. Grinding movements (like presses and getups) while beneficial can be replicated with a 10lb dumbbell or other weight. In order to be effective, many suggest that full body ballistic movements need to be done with a certain weight relative to body weight. For this reason, most suggest that average women start with an 8kg weight.

The main manufacturer in the US of competition style kettlebells for the oldest style of KB lifting called girevoy sport does not even sell KB for women below 8kg. Check it out here: Kettlebells - VF Performance - Women - World Kettlebell Club Store
    Many women that train use two 8kg KBs for moves like jerks and push presses, of course they use one for snatches. Many purists might cynically suggest that very small KBs are a marketing fad used to gain from the proliferation of KB in more mainstream areas.

It's a free world where we live and you can do whatever you want. Because of the core benefit of KBs being ballistic moves and the corresponding need to have a certain KB to body weight ratio, I suggested a heavier weight to benefit, a view which I believe is entirely consistent and supported with the overwhelming body of evidence I have encountered in my study of kettlebells over the past few years.

No I am not a doctor. When you post on a forum and ask for advice and get it, why do you upset?
    Last edited by JeffC; 06-17-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast