Thread: Endocrinologist has me freaked-out about Lupus page

balanced is offline Member

Endocrinologist has me freaked-out about Lupus

Primal Fuel
    Just returned from a visit with endocrinologist to review results of my recent blood work that included tests for thyroid, and several auto-immune antibodies. Thyroid results were fine and all but one anti-body was negative. The antibody for Lupus was "elevated" but not considered "positive". He explained that a level of 10 or above would be considered positive and a level of 1 (which I had 2 years prior) would be considered negative. Anything between 2 and 10 is considered questionable and could even be lab error, but, should be monitored nontheless. I was measured at a level 7. He said this is an indication that I need to relax more and stress less. He will redo the test in three months.

How do you go home and "relax more and stress less" with the fear of having lupus on your mind? I am trying to resist looking on-line for scarey information about it but am finding it hard not to. I don't seem to have any of the tell-tale signs and symptoms but I suppose it could continue to get worse with time. Or, could it be lab error??

Aside from relaxing more and stressing less (this is a huge challenge for me), what, if any, nutritional measures can I take to support my immune system? Two years ago when I was tested for the same anti-body it was a level 1--negative. Now that I am eating healthier than ever I test in the "elevated" range. How frustrating!! I do have more stress in my life, however, than I did two years ago. Or, are auto-immune diseases genetic in nature? No matter what you eat or how you manage your stess if you are predisposed genetically is it your fate?? I know of no one in my family with any type of auto-immune disorder.

I am totally freaked out! Can anyone shed some light on this scarey situation? Or, perhaps, just reassure me that I don't have lupus until the test says I do!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been eating PB?

Looking for info~~

balanced is offline Member
    Been primal for about 9-10 months. I am 38 year old female, 3 young children, very active yoga/pilates instructor. I am 5'3" and about 106-110lbs. I have managed to cut out most processed foods with the exception of a Lara Bar maybe once every few weeks. I do consume some dairy....milk, yogurt and some cheeses. I eat lots of free range local eggs, organic chicken, grass fed beef, wild fish/seafood and tons of veggies and some fruit (mostly organic berries, apples, bananas and melons).....avacados, grass fed butter, olive oil, coconut oil, rice and sweet potatoes on occassion.....what did I miss?? Oh yeah....nuts and seeds usually mixed into my greek yogurt. I ate so much of this good food that I actually started gaining weight a couple months after I started. I was not overweight to begin with but took the "eat as much as you want" to an extreem. I had lived many years on lowfat, low carb, low calorie, cardio-crazy diet that I went hog-wild when I started eating all this great food. It is still a function of calories in and calories out.....anyway, I scaled back a bit on the calories and have been able to maintain a steady weight. I do indulge occassionaly on ice cream (I make sure it is the good stuff at least), homemade pasta (my grandma would be heart broken if I didn't partake a couple times a year) and the random slice of pizza (maybe once a month), and my own organic choco chip cookies when I have the time to make them (I do realize organic doesn't mean healthy but they are sooooo good).....80/20 right? No caffine, no soda, no alcohol and 7-9 hours of sleep.

All that said, I am a type-A, perfectionist, chronic worrier who is extremely hard on myself. I am constanly stressing about everything!!

Is that enough information.....or, perhaps, too much!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    it's never lupus.

just kidding. i know it's super hard, but wait for the test. going online and looking up symptoms for something you might not have is just going to stress you out more.
    you've got to find your own way to relax. if you don't know what that is yet, you've got to go out and do a bunch of new stuff and see what sticks. some people read, some people knit, some people exercise (probably not the best option for you right now), some people play video games, some people dress up like hobos and try to give hugs to people in suits...i think. the point is, there is no one way to relax, so set the perfection aside for a bit and explore what makes you chill. even if that means eating some cupcakes and sitting around doing nothing.

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    Hi Rob, you watch House??? It is Always lupus!!!!! But OP, if you are flirting with lupus, 80/20 isn't good enough. Try Robb Wolf's autoimmune paleo plan and really try to get down any inflammation. And, don't worry. Lupus is one of those things that they tell you have, and then you worry for a while and then for most people there really is no problem. Usually they test some specific things that indicates if you have a really bad form of lupus that might affect your kidneys or liver. AI diseases are somewhat genetic, but age is also a factor. Which test did you take?

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobirdy View Post
    Hi Rob, you watch House??? It is Always lupus!!!!! But OP, if you are flirting with lupus, 80/20 isn't good enough. Try Robb Wolf's autoimmune paleo plan and really try to get down any inflammation. And, don't worry. Lupus is one of those things that they tell you have, and then you worry for a while and then for most people there really is no problem. Usually they test some specific things that indicates if you have a really bad form of lupus that might affect your kidneys or liver. AI diseases are somewhat genetic, but age is also a factor. Which test did you take?
    +1

I hate to play paleo police, but like paleobirdy said, if you're at a risk for developing this, you'll have to really buckle down with the diet.