Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: We need some Dudecipes. page 7

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    canned pumpkin

really? that exists? Why, is it sweetened or something? We just get fresh pumpkins here.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielfire View Post
    canned pumpkin

really? that exists? Why, is it sweetened or something? We just get fresh pumpkins here.
    Yup. It comes as a very thick, smooth puree. You can get it straight-up plain, or doctored and ready for pumpkin pie, and both in two different sizes of can (15 oz and 28 oz, I believe). Of course we also have train-loads of fresh pumpkin, what with Halloween and all, but most folks grab the Libby's (brand name) can to make pie with for another big American holiday - Thanksgiving.

Pumpkin is huge here - used in ice cream, pie, muffins, custard, dessert bread, in the cream filling for a jelly roll, soup... and new recipes are being introduced every holiday.

Obviously the grainy stuff isn't Primal. I myself am doing fine now, but come this Thanksgiving, which will be my first Turkey Day on the Primal, I am going to have a problem... pumpkin desserts are so my thing.
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 06-23-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Pumpkin is only available fresh here in the fall, and it takes a while to cook and puree it (but you can freeze or can it yourself in that case). I use the canned stuff a lot of the year in both desserts and things like curries. It's just cooked, pureed pumpkin--I don't buy the pie filling, just the plain stuff. I can also get butternut squash and sweet potato in cans, which is handy for making a lot of recipes that call for pureed stuff.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Libby's isnt that great. It says 100% pumpkin but upon writing to the company, they cannot guarantee there are no additives. Their cans are nit bpa free either. Farmers Market brand is both of those though.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    Libby's isnt that great. It says 100% pumpkin but upon writing to the company, they cannot guarantee there are no additives. Their cans are nit bpa free either. Farmers Market brand is both of those though.
    The Farmers Market is my preferred brand too.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    It says 100% pumpkin but upon writing to the company, they cannot guarantee there are no additives.
    Last I read, I think it was the Wall Street Journal because that is our house newspaper, it wasn't 100% PUMPKIN, it was 51% pumpkin and 49% SQUASH. Materially, that doesn't bother me, because I like both pumpkin and squash and both are good foods. There is no getting around the fact the Libby's, for better or for worse, does sell a lot of pumpkin...

I prefer, actually, to bake my own. There is a punkin' I like a lot: the cheese pumpkin. Looks beige-y and flat, like it got sat on. Still big, though. New Jersey farmstands always recommended them for pie.

Hey Nic - just a thought.

Are you really that pressed for time all 7 days of the week?? You know, because there is such a thing as cooking big hunks o' land beasts ahead of time and tearing off what you might need just for that night's dinner. You would be surprised how far a pork butt or two goes in the week with just a couple of minutes of checking the fridge for veg to add on, or even a sauce to drown it in, on the different days of the week.

Roasting a pork butt is child's play. In its simplest fashion, rub it down with salt and pepper and plop on a roasting pan in a low oven for a few hours. You can't do this when your shoes are looking and smelling better by the minute for sheer hunger, but you can if you are home for a several hour stretch. It takes no looking after besides not totally forgetting it.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    You can put frozen roasts in the crockpot. I've done it often when we had great chunks of cow in the freezer. It's delicious and since our crockpot seems to run hot, its the only way I could leave meat in there all day and not come home to shoe-leather stew. Frozen chicken, too. Slow-cooker meat makes a great addition to curries, taco salad, stir fries, etc.
    This post and its contents in no way constitutes professional advice or a binding contract between a professional food scientist and the reader. This post is for entertainment purposes only; do not attempt.

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
    You can put frozen roasts in the crockpot.
    Here's my question; can I leave food in a crock pot for 10+ hours? I'm away from home at least that much every day. I do most of my cooking at the gym, and before you say "Cook at the gym!" you should know that when I plug in a crockpot there it's like a f'ing beacon and the idiots that work for me will eat all the ingredients before they have a chance to thaw.
    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    here are some:

3 minute breakfast

Easy/Delish Taco Salad

French Toast in a cup

Other recipes on my blog if you're interested. Many quick/easy ones. Happy cooking!
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast