Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal just stopped working? page

amberlink09 is offline Junior Member

Primal just stopped working?

Shop Now
    Hey guys,

I've been primal for 9 months and I LOVE it. I started the diet to help with IBS symptoms and autoimmune issues, and for the first six months or so things were amazing, but about three months ago my constant bloating came back (I look pregnant all the time) along with diarrhea. So, I tried experimenting with the diet some more- no cheating, no sugar at all, no dairy, no FODMAPs, no alcohol, etc. Nothing helped. Once I cut out FODMAPs 2 weeks ago, the diarrhea went away and was replaced with constipation, I started eating FODMAPs again but still no change. The bloating in particular is driving me insane, I'm 21 and I have a pretty small frame, so it makes me pretty self-conscious. The last time I tried to be paleo (about 2 years ago) I gave up after 4 months because the diet stopped working. I love primal and don't want to eat any differently, but I can't stay on a diet that is making me feel miserable. I would really appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    What do you typically eat?
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    GAPS is something to really look into.

Also, have you been tested for SIBO?

amberlink09 is offline Junior Member
    I haven't tried GAPS yet but I did SCD before which is pretty similar, it worked for a while but also just stopped one day. I haven't been tested for SIBO but I was treated with Xifaxan with no results. I have Celiac and it seems I have just never healed with the gluten free diet.

Breakfast for me is usually two eggs and some bacon, though lately it has been pumpkin or carrot smoothies which have pumpkin or carrot, some pecans, about 3 tbs of flax (which is why I'm drinking the smoothies), almond milk, about 1/4 banana and stevia.

Lunch is usually a salad, this week it was a spinach salad with chicken, strawberries, avocados, and oil and vinegar.

Dinner is typically chicken or pork, beef when I can afford it, and two veggies on the side.

I was eating dark chocolate almost nightly but I've stopped for about three weeks now.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    might be the fiber? flax, pumpkin, carrots and raw spinach might just be too much for you.

i make flax focaccia that i keep in the freezer, but i can't eat it everyday -- not even in small pieces.

i do better with cooked greens rather than raw.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking along the same lines. There is such a thing as too much fiber, and it's not hard to do.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

SleepyRoots is offline Member
    I am betting on the flax too. I don't know if ground flax has the same properties, but the whole seeds are not very digestible and go very gloopy. A sort of cross between egg white and wallpaper paste. You need to drink a lot with it to flush the stuff through.
    I'd say drop the flax, drink a lot and make sure you eat a decent amount of fat to lubricate things.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    with all that other fiber, and a damaged gut, why are you taking the flax at all?

if it's a regularity issue, are you taking magnesium supplements?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I never understood flax. It's the same coming out as going in and while it's in, it doesn't seem to make me feel better at all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    probiotics might be a big help here...I agree to maybe drop the morning smoothies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast