Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan "Transformations"--Simply from Cutting The Junk...or?... page

JennaRose is offline Senior Member

Vegan "Transformations"--Simply from Cutting The Junk...or?...

Primal Fuel
    When I was a veg-head, I came across Alicia Silverstone's blog. I still check it out every now and again for recommendations on beauty products or whatever. Regularly, she posts a testimonial from someone for the vegan diet. Of course, the people in the testimonials praise a vegan diet, that they have no more ailments, they have more energy, they feel amazing. They gave up dairy and their acne went away, blah blah etc! One woman attributes dairy to being the only cause of her female hormonal problems (pcos, etc.), as she had been a vegetarian for most of her life.

Anyway, my point is, do you think these people benefit because they are cutting out low-quality meats/dairy/eggs and most processed food to become a vegan?(in the ''real'' sense of the vegan word--minimally processed foods) For example, this woman with the hormonal problems--do you think she would have had the same results if she had simply tried switching to raw, organic dairy? (Or, perhaps, it could be possible she just cannot tolerate dairy.)

When I made the switch from junk fooder to vegan, I felt amazing. But, also, when I made the switch from vegan to primal, I felt amazing! It struck me as interesting to think about.

Thoughts?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

SleepyRoots is offline Member
    The article sbhikes linked is pretty much spot on imo. When I was vegan I felt better for a while and in some respects, but I my health ended up crashing bad enough that I went to SAD out of sheer lack of energy.
    Incidentally my de facto version of vegan was heading pretty much towards paleo. I ate an awful lot of stir fries and currys served on rice and rice noodles. Bread in the UK is appalling compared to Germany, and pasta was an occasional thing, as my favourite sauces were meat based.
    But ultimately removing the bad stuff isn't enough. There needs to be some fuel. And vegan diets don't have a lot of that.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Thank you, I have read that article--it was definitely eye-opening as an ex-raw vegan. My point also, was, given the example of the woman with hormonal problems that were "cured" by giving up dairy, would she have had the same results with raw dairy?

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Placebo effect can be a very powerful thing...

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Even though the vegan diet world is plagued with processed foods, people that switch over to a vegetarian diet (or vegan) usually start eating more whole foods (fruits/vegetables) and eliminate a majority of the processed shit they used to eat. They feel better as a result.

Whole foods, regardless of whether you abstain from animal products, will usually make you feel better.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post

Whole foods, regardless of whether you abstain from animal products, will usually make you feel better.
    Exactly, and that's exactly what happens with a lot of folks here, they switch to whole foods, eliminate junk and they feel better. Attributing this to any kind of diet is just absurd.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    Placebo effect can be a very powerful thing...
    Yes, lots of examples here

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Exactly, and that's exactly what happens with a lot of folks here, they switch to whole foods, eliminate junk and they feel better. Attributing this to any kind of diet is just absurd.
    Except that for some of us the miracle has been what saturated animal fat and animal protein has done that our former diets which included plenty of lean meats and vegetables couldn't do before. In my case the list includes:
    - appetite control
    - elimination of depression
    - elimination of inflammation
    - elimination of chronic aches and pains in my feet and legs
    - increased muscle mass

Prior healthy diets of whole foods lacking in saturated fat and meat didn't give me these things. I usually ended up hungry and depressed (I had an actual suicide plan) at the very least.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fruit > Refined sugar

"Raw vegan" may not be optimal, but if done right I'll go as far as saying it's better than the standard American diet.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast