Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Take Matt Stone Seriously? page 8

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Stop being arrogant and judgmental then and just post when you have a valid opinion. Its a big character flaw of yours, you should work on it.
    Would you mind following your own advice? That would free the forum from 100% of your posts and everyone on the planet would be slightly happier.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Both of them are sincere in their approaches and believe they are doing good. You are right in that Matt is more about mental health and recovering from eating disorders. You can find healthy people across all ways of eating so I find that turning to one person for advice about what specifically to put in your belly can be pretty useless. What I've found on this site is that for a very select few, paleo/primal works quick and easy and they get their ideal bodies within months -- and then they disappear. The rest of us get stuck in this limbo where we're /almost/ there, for months and years, tweaking and tweaking and obsessing. I'm not sure where I'm going with this except to prescribe a healthy dose of Fuckitol.
    I hear what you're saying. Different things work for different people: some people it's enough to follow a diet and they can get the body they want; other people need to heal their relationship with food, and the body follows. I'm the latter, and the worst way of doing that was a restrictive diet.

Now I eat well, but I don't count calories or macros, and I've gotten to the point where treats don't induce a binge-purge cycle. I'm not at my goal weight, but the scale is slowly moving down, even though I'm not restricting at all.

What are your goals and how far are you from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
    Would you mind following your own advice? That would free the forum from 100% of your posts and everyone on the planet would be slightly happier.
    Actually, you just have to check out Zach's journal to see there are a lot of people who benefit from his advice and who greatly appreciate his presence here.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-20-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ezk
    ezk is offline Member
    Been reading Matt since years. He is on the right track and the fact that Paleobird got an bad opinion on it
    Is all you need for confirmation..

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezk View Post
    Been reading Matt since years. He is on the right track and the fact that Paleobird got an bad opinion on it
    Is all you need for confirmation..
    I should have known better than to get on this thread ... live and learn.

This entire thread has devolved into one massive ad hominem argument. Maybe Matt Stone is a douche. He may very well be, I don't know the man personally. Maybe Paleobird goes down the rabbit hole and gets lost along the way far too often. Who cares?

What is the basis of Paleobird's criticism? What is the quality of Matt Stone's information? These are the questions that I think we're trying to answer. He may be the second coming of Mother Theresa, for all I care, but if his views on nutrition are a collection of muddled drivel not based in evidence ... well, at least he looks good in a nun's habit? That plus $4.50 will buy you a latte...

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    What is the basis of Paleobird's criticism? What is the quality of Matt Stone's information? These are the questions that I think we're trying to answer. He may be the second coming of Mother Theresa, for all I care, but if his views on nutrition are a collection of muddled drivel not based in evidence ... well, at least he looks good in a nun's habit? That plus $4.50 will buy you a latte...
    Couldn't have described it better myself, PK. Your blog I take seriously, OTOH. Well researched, well written and presented, with every point backed up by hard science.

Stone might have some great ideas but he can't write for toffee. IDK. When reading one of his articles I keep thinking, "What was this guy's point again?" I guess that makes it easy to read into his articles whatever message one would like to hear, kind of like reading your horoscope, vague enough that it can fit most any notion you bring to it.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Stone might have some great ideas but he can't write for toffee. IDK. When reading one of his articles I keep thinking, "What was this guy's point again?" I guess that makes it easy to read into his articles whatever message one would like to hear, kind of like reading your horoscope, vague enough that it can fit most any notion you bring to it.
    Maybe it's a generational thing. I come from a family of academics and write for a living, yet I understand him just fine. His sentence structure isn't perfect, but he writes like one would talk: colloquially, and sarcastically.

I don't think it's fair to infer that people who like his work are projecting a meaning onto it. For one thing, you haven't read his work. If you scroll through his list of articles you'll see themes emerging: the main one being "Don't diet". He's even got a book called "Diet Recovery: Restoring Hormonal Health, Metabolism, Mood, and Your Relationship with Food". Is that ambiguous?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-22-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

claude512 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    [...] I'm not sure where I'm going with this except to prescribe a healthy dose of Fuckitol.
    best advice ever!

jackaaron is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Kevin,

Your post was completely full of inaccuracies which leads me to believe that you have read very little of Matt Stones work.
    Thank you for your post. That was a long post of his and if it was full of inaccuracies as claimed I was hoping you would point out three. This is important because this forum seems to be full of people that post "facts" like you've said above and FAR LESS of people that post like the doctor or pklopp for example. I'm not defending the doctor per se I've never been to a Chiro and likely wont anytime soon but I don't go to medical doctors either so that isn't saying much!
    I'm not singling you out Zach I just really can't take Unsubstantiated claims like yours and you are in no way the only mass perpetrator of such things!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Maybe it's a generational thing. I come from a family of academics and write for a living, yet I understand him just fine. His sentence structure isn't perfect, but he writes like one would talk: colloquially, and sarcastically.

I don't think it's fair to infer that people who like his work are projecting a meaning onto it. For one thing, you haven't read his work. If you scroll through his list of articles you'll see themes emerging: the main one being "Don't diet". He's even got a book called "Diet Recovery: Restoring Hormonal Health, Metabolism, Mood, and Your Relationship with Food". Is that ambiguous?
    I didn't say he was ambiguous, I said he rambled and didn't write well. Perhaps it is generational. To me he comes across as a petulant kid saying, "I ate pizza and soda. Neener, neener, neener!" Yeah? So, what?

I really can see that, particularly from the pov of someone with a history of extreme dieting, EDs, weight swings, emotional eating, etc. there is merit in what Grumpycakes calls a healthy dose of Fuckitol. Someone to say, "Hey folks, lets's all just relax and eat."

Terrific. But that message is not something that I feel a need for. If I'm going to spend my time reading a blog I want to get some scientifically founded info from it, not just some guy's opinions. But if reading his opinions is helpful to someone else, cool.

It's all in what you're looking for.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaaron View Post
    Thank you for your post. That was a long post of his and if it was full of inaccuracies as claimed I was hoping you would point out three. This is important because this forum seems to be full of people that post "facts" like you've said above and FAR LESS of people that post like the doctor or pklopp for example. I'm not defending the doctor per se I've never been to a Chiro and likely wont anytime soon but I don't go to medical doctors either so that isn't saying much!
    I'm not singling you out Zach I just really can't take Unsubstantiated claims like yours and you are in no way the only mass perpetrator of such things!
    His entire post was unsubstantiated claims and distorted opinions. Im guessing you have read nothing from Matt Stone as well so me telling you what is inaccurate is an exercise in futility.

Also PB is just upset that Matt called out Angry Dick on his hypo and was right.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast