Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Take Matt Stone Seriously? page 6

patski is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I had a very sick gallbladder when I was seeing chiropractors for spasms that felt like they were wrapping around my gut and my entire low back. I had no idea of this at the time, and thought I was suddenly stricken by a serious back problem. No amount of painkillers...not even percosets helped with this pain. I was also told by my main chiro that this was being caused by a 'pinched stomach nerve', to which my family doctor laughed and said in all her years as a medical doctor she has never heard of any such thing.

When I was at my worst, and I was vomiting from extreme pain, and my bowel movements were WHITE AND PALE YELLOW..my chiro SHOULD have told me to go to the ER, as this is a sign of bile not getting through to help me digest my food due to STONES.

My spasms got worse and worse over time, and I was ready to hurl myself over the balcony of my 15th floor apartment. Still, I saw chiropractors thinking I had a 'back problem'. Much later, I went home from work so ill and in serious pain yet again. I had to be rushed to the ER as my appendix was about to blow. After receiving an ultrasound, I was told 'BTW, you have about 100 stones in your gallbladder and it needs to come out ASAP'. It did less than 6 weeks later.

I did paleo for three years, reading MDA, and Chris Kresser believing this was the ONLY WAY to health. Only getting stricter and stricter, removing more foods due to 'intolerances' and only getting worse, and worse. So no, it didn't work. I feel much better on a higher starch 'diet'.

I've heard many ridiculous things from the mouths of chiropractors, and the only thing that I'm convinced they are a 'doctor' of is pure quackery.

And speaking of: my main chiropractor also once said 'if only Saddam Hussein and Adolf Hitler had chiropractic adjustments...imagine what people they would have become instead!'

I wish I was making this up. But sadly, I am not. That chiropractor is still practicing. What a lunatic.

But hey, call me 'misguided', 'uninformed' and 'condemning' if that makes you sleep better at night. I've not had any such pain since. So much for a 'back problem' or a 'pinched stomach nerve'.
    Last edited by patski; 05-17-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

ksmithdc is offline Junior Member
    Wow, I'm very sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. But please consider something:

There are good chiropractors and bad chiropractors. Just like there are good medical doctors and bad medical doctors. There are good dentists and bad dentists.

Just because you had a bad experience does not necessarily justify the wholesale condemnation of an entire profession.

Case in point. I didn't hear you condemning allopathic medicine. And yet, according to the current research (published in the New England Journal of Medicine as well as in the Journal of the American Medical Association), modern medicine causes (on average) 225,000 deaths per year, every year. That's 75 times more than were killed during 9/11. Where's your outrage?

I'm quite sure nothing I can say will reach you - as experience has taught me some people simply are ineducable. But for the other readers who may be following this thread, I would like you to consider the following:

The first two years of medical school and chiropractic school are virtually identical. We both study out of the same books. We both take courses in anatomy, physiology, microbiology, pathology, diagnostics, radiology, gynecology & obstetrics, pediatrics, psychiatry, etc... It's not exactly quackery. The second two years is where the two professions differ in our training. Medical students focus on pharmacology and surgery. Chiropractic students focus on neuromusculoskeletal diagnosis, spinal and extremity adjusting, nutrition and physical therapy. We take a more holistic approach to care, while the medical students take a reductionist approach (isolating each body part and viewing it as a separate and distinct object).

Medical doctors receive approximately 4,200 hours of classroom education. Doctors of Chiropractic receive approximately 4,800 hours. Medical doctors take one level of national boards. Doctors of Chiropractic take 4 parts of national boards, plus an additional board examination in physical therapy. Chiropractic is a licensed profession in all 50 states, is accepted by all insurance plans (including Medicare, the VA, all group plans, all PI and Workers Compensation programs), and is recognized by the National Institute of Health as a legitimate health care profession. There is an abundance of peer reviewed, index medicus research which substantiates the efficacy and safety of chiropractic. In my own book (Modern Chiropractic: The Way To A Pain-Free Lifestyle), I have twenty-five PAGES of peer reviewed research citations. And because chiropractors have both the lowest rates of adverse incidents as well as the highest rates of patient satisfaction of any physician, we have the lowest malpractice premiums of any doctor.

More and more people are becoming increasingly disillusioned with modern medicine. Most of the people I've spoken with admit to me they don't want to take drugs. But their doctors don't give them any other choice. And that's kind of sad. Because just like there's more than one way to cook an egg, there's always multiple ways to get sick people well.

My approach is to help people think better, move better and eat better. Your thoughts direct your actions, which then direct your habits - which leads to your current state of health. I help people to move better (through exercise and chiropractic adjustments). And I will help them eat better (by cleaning up their diet, and then giving them whichever supplements that are required to restore the balance to their physiology). I base these decisions on laboratory tests (blood, stool, urine, saliva). There's no hocus pocus, no voodoo, no witchcraft, no quackery. Lab tests are a way I can objectively measure where somebody is at as well as to objectively track progress. Numbers don't lie. And if I see objective changes on follow up studies, it's proof the therapies are working.

It is my sincere hope the readership of this forum will take a fair and impartial view at what I have written and not merely judge an entire profession based on one poster's bad experience.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Dr. Smith
    Last edited by ksmithdc; 05-17-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Kevin,

Your post was completely full of inaccuracies which leads me to believe that you have read very little of Matt Stones work.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Kevin,

Your post was completely full of inaccuracies which leads me to believe that you have read very little of Matt Stones work.
    Sounded very accurate to me. I fully admit I have read very little of Matt Stone's writing. There is no need to read a whole lot of that illiterate rambling to realize that it is a waste of time.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sounded very accurate to me. I fully admit I have read very little of Matt Stone's writing. There is no need to read a whole lot of that illiterate rambling to realize that it is a waste of time.
    So you responded to say that something you know nothing about, sounded accurate. Thanks for your input.

Paleobird Guest
    As I said, it is easy to tell what is dross without reading a lot of it.

Zach is offline Banned
    As I said, it is easy to tell what is dross without reading a lot of it.
    Its pretty hard to tell if someones opinion is accurate without knowing anything about it. Sooo, try again?

Paleobird Guest
    Give it a rest, Zach.

Zach is offline Banned
    Give it a rest, Zach.
    Stop being arrogant and judgmental then and just post when you have a valid opinion. Its a big character flaw of yours, you should work on it.

Paleobird Guest
    I have a valid opinion. It just happens to be different from yours. And thanks so much for the advice on my character flaws. Who is being arrogant?

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast