Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Take Matt Stone Seriously? page 5

ksmithdc is offline Junior Member
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I'd like to share my impressions about Matt Stone. But before I do that, I'd like to first introduce myself to the group. My name is Dr. Kevin Smith. I'm a chiropractor and a nutritionist. My clinical specialty is metabolic care, with a special emphasis on thyroid disorders. I've been in practice for 13 years and practice just outside of Pittsburgh, PA. Nice to meet you all.

I haven't read all of Matt Stone's works. But I have read two of his e-books. The first one I read was "180 Degree Digestion". The other one was "Diet Recovery". I've also read many of his blog posts. Here are my impressions:

Matt frequently comes across in a crass, vulgar way reminiscent of a drunk guy in a bar. While I will sometimes cuss and swear (mostly while I'm playing golf), I don't think incorporating profanity in a book is necessary. In fact, my feelings are that it tends to diminish one's credibility and professionalism. I just don't care for it. The litmus test is - would you want your kid to read it? If not, perhaps it's time to clean up your act a bit.

Quite often, he comes across as a dissident for the sole singular purpose of being a dissident, not necessarily because of a real issue he has with something. I think he’s just trying to make a name for himself by showing everyone why everybody in the history of nutrition is completely wrong.

His books seem to be fluffed up with low quality content including testimonials, and statements designed to give an impression that he’s the ultimate authority on the subject matter. He will go on and on that he read 300 books, read every blog on the internet, poured through thousands of medical journals and found the secrets of the universe – which he alone possesses.

When refuting something, he will frequently cite an isolated example of how one tribe of people who live in the jungles in Africa eat a certain way yet none of them have xyz disease, or how a group of South American Indians do things a specific way…and yet they don’t have any immune issues, all of them live long full lives and they all enjoy robust health. The point being that he doesn’t account for ALL of the variables for why a specific indigenous group of people has good or bad health. He only isolates one variable and attempts to sell that as the issue.

When Matt criticizes the Paleo people or the low carb lifestyle, he paints with a broad brush, most often failing to differentiate between good quality carbs (vegetables), and bad carbs (refined sugars). This is where I believe his is most dangerous. Because people who aren't clinically trained, and/or lack the skills to differentiate between some of the more technical issues probably aren't going to be able to see through the guise.

As one example of this, he will properly address the issue of insulin resistance as a major health concern. And then in the next sentence, he will contradict himself by badmouthing the Paleo lifestyle, citing it as a fad. What he's failing to include in his diatribe is that there's a huge difference between a plate of broccoli vs. a plate of Oreo cookies. Yes, they're both technically carbs. But the way the body metabolizes each of them is dramatically different.

He correctly acknowledges the thyroid and the basal metabolic rate as an integral component of health. But he doesn't mention the #1 cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's Autoimmune Disease, nor does he mention the seven triggers which further causes hypothyroidism (anemias, blood sugar dysregulation, sex hormone dysregulation, adrenal exhaustion, food intolerance, gastrointestinal problems (such as leaky gut syndrome, dysbiosis, infections, etc.) and chronic inflammation. (And seeing as how chronic over consumption of refined carbohydrates and gluten exposure) is a common link between all of it, it goes without saying anyone who isn't on board with the Paleo lifestyle really isn't paying attention here.

When criticizing fiber, he cites legumes, grains, and nuts as prime examples of why people shouldn’t take excessive fiber (as these things cause gastrointestinal distress). What he’s leaving out (either because he’s ignorant or because he’s being intentially dishonest) is that not all fiber is created equally. And fiber from eating broccoli, kale, spinach, and other raw, whole foods will NOT cause inflammation and distress. Additionally eating foods high in fiber leads to greater satiety which decreases the likelihood of overeating. He’s also wrong about fiber slowing down bowel transit times. It actually increases bowel transit time.

Mr. Stone embraces whole grains as a healthy, perfectly viable food – when in fact it is pro-inflammatory, loaded with gluten and has no nutritional value (empty calories).

His primary test for measuring metabolism is the basal temperature test (axiallary temperature measurement), which he believes should be 97.8 to 98.2 degrees F). One's basal temperature isn't not the primary determining factor in evaluating thyroid function. Thyroid function can only be properly evaluated by doing a comprehensive blood analysis and measuring TSH, T4, T3 (Both free & bound), reverse T3, T3 uptake as well as checking for antibodies for TPO and antithyroglobulin antibodies.

In his discussion about gluten, he tends to minimize the effect gluten has on our bodies, and claims it's blown out of proportion. Current scientific literature shows a direct linkage between gluten exposure and 55 diseases.

I can understand why some people would want to follow Matt Stone. I think the people who would be attracted to him are the ones who couldn't follow the Paleo lifestyle and are looking for a guru to give them permission to go back to their high carb lifestyle.

In my opinion, I think he's just another guy trying to make a name for himself by bucking the trends and being a maverick. Sometimes being different is a good thing. But being different just to be different (and while preaching incorrect concepts)...well that's just dangerous.

Dr. Kevin Smith

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmithdc View Post
    In my opinion, I think he's just another guy trying to make a name for himself by bucking the trends and being a maverick. Sometimes being different is a good thing. But being different just to be different (and while preaching incorrect concepts)...well that's just dangerous
    To put it simply :

jackaaron is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmithdc View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I'd like to share my impressions about Matt Stone. But before I do that, I'd like to first introduce myself to the group. My name is Dr. Kevin Smith. I'm a chiropractor and a nutritionist. My clinical specialty is metabolic care, with a special emphasis on thyroid disorders. I've been in practice for 13 years and practice just outside of Pittsburgh, PA. Nice to meet you all.

I haven't read all of Matt Stone's works. But I have read two of his e-books. The first one I read was "180 Degree Digestion". The other one was "Diet Recovery". I've also read many of his blog posts. Here are my impressions:

Matt frequently comes across in a crass, vulgar way reminiscent of a drunk guy in a bar. While I will sometimes cuss and swear (mostly while I'm playing golf), I don't think incorporating profanity in a book is necessary. In fact, my feelings are that it tends to diminish one's credibility and professionalism. I just don't care for it. The litmus test is - would you want your kid to read it? If not, perhaps it's time to clean up your act a bit.

Quite often, he comes across as a dissident for the sole singular purpose of being a dissident, not necessarily because of a real issue he has with something. I think he’s just trying to make a name for himself by showing everyone why everybody in the history of nutrition is completely wrong.

His books seem to be fluffed up with low quality content including testimonials, and statements designed to give an impression that he’s the ultimate authority on the subject matter. He will go on and on that he read 300 books, read every blog on the internet, poured through thousands of medical journals and found the secrets of the universe – which he alone possesses.

When refuting something, he will frequently cite an isolated example of how one tribe of people who live in the jungles in Africa eat a certain way yet none of them have xyz disease, or how a group of South American Indians do things a specific way…and yet they don’t have any immune issues, all of them live long full lives and they all enjoy robust health. The point being that he doesn’t account for ALL of the variables for why a specific indigenous group of people has good or bad health. He only isolates one variable and attempts to sell that as the issue.

When Matt criticizes the Paleo people or the low carb lifestyle, he paints with a broad brush, most often failing to differentiate between good quality carbs (vegetables), and bad carbs (refined sugars). This is where I believe his is most dangerous. Because people who aren't clinically trained, and/or lack the skills to differentiate between some of the more technical issues probably aren't going to be able to see through the guise.

As one example of this, he will properly address the issue of insulin resistance as a major health concern. And then in the next sentence, he will contradict himself by badmouthing the Paleo lifestyle, citing it as a fad. What he's failing to include in his diatribe is that there's a huge difference between a plate of broccoli vs. a plate of Oreo cookies. Yes, they're both technically carbs. But the way the body metabolizes each of them is dramatically different.

He correctly acknowledges the thyroid and the basal metabolic rate as an integral component of health. But he doesn't mention the #1 cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's Autoimmune Disease, nor does he mention the seven triggers which further causes hypothyroidism (anemias, blood sugar dysregulation, sex hormone dysregulation, adrenal exhaustion, food intolerance, gastrointestinal problems (such as leaky gut syndrome, dysbiosis, infections, etc.) and chronic inflammation. (And seeing as how chronic over consumption of refined carbohydrates and gluten exposure) is a common link between all of it, it goes without saying anyone who isn't on board with the Paleo lifestyle really isn't paying attention here.

When criticizing fiber, he cites legumes, grains, and nuts as prime examples of why people shouldn’t take excessive fiber (as these things cause gastrointestinal distress). What he’s leaving out (either because he’s ignorant or because he’s being intentially dishonest) is that not all fiber is created equally. And fiber from eating broccoli, kale, spinach, and other raw, whole foods will NOT cause inflammation and distress. Additionally eating foods high in fiber leads to greater satiety which decreases the likelihood of overeating. He’s also wrong about fiber slowing down bowel transit times. It actually increases bowel transit time.

Mr. Stone embraces whole grains as a healthy, perfectly viable food – when in fact it is pro-inflammatory, loaded with gluten and has no nutritional value (empty calories).

His primary test for measuring metabolism is the basal temperature test (axiallary temperature measurement), which he believes should be 97.8 to 98.2 degrees F). One's basal temperature isn't not the primary determining factor in evaluating thyroid function. Thyroid function can only be properly evaluated by doing a comprehensive blood analysis and measuring TSH, T4, T3 (Both free & bound), reverse T3, T3 uptake as well as checking for antibodies for TPO and antithyroglobulin antibodies.

In his discussion about gluten, he tends to minimize the effect gluten has on our bodies, and claims it's blown out of proportion. Current scientific literature shows a direct linkage between gluten exposure and 55 diseases.

I can understand why some people would want to follow Matt Stone. I think the people who would be attracted to him are the ones who couldn't follow the Paleo lifestyle and are looking for a guru to give them permission to go back to their high carb lifestyle.

In my opinion, I think he's just another guy trying to make a name for himself by bucking the trends and being a maverick. Sometimes being different is a good thing. But being different just to be different (and while preaching incorrect concepts)...well that's just dangerous.

Dr. Kevin Smith
    Here's what I notice on this forum....

There are some people that are against the Paleo diet, and some that are for it.

While the side that is for it has individuals whose posts are laden with actual facts, and display enough knowledge that you have bonafide concepts and ideas to verify on your own, the other side seems to NOT be this way.

The Ray Peat lovers, the Matt Stone lovers...I'm just not seeing anything that is verifiable (for the most part, some points are good, but are common knowledge).

Thanks ksmithdc for your post. I have not yet made the switch to Paleo, and won't be for quite some time, but as I research and arm myself with additional information, posts like yours prove to be very helpful.

Paleobird Guest
    Hello, Dr. Kevin, and welcome to the MDA forum.

Please stick around here and keep posting even if it can get annoying at times.

Your scientifically based, logically presented, and articulately written comments would be an asset to this community.

Thank you for your very kind words. It's an honor and a privilege to be here.

It seems people are begging to be led. And many of us seek out a guru for advice and guidance. I don't know any of the guru's personally, so I don't have a dog in that fight. My only real purpose is to help people regain their health through lifestyle modification and the thoughtful and intelligent use of nutraceuticals. While I'm not anti-drug, I believe we as a people are over medicated. I also believe 80% of all the disease we have in the United States is unintentionally self-inflicted (with a knife and fork).

There is an overwhelming body of evidence to support the Paleo lifestyle. I'm a board eligible diplomat of the American Board of Chiropractic Nutritionists. And for years I have closely scrutinized all the different diet programs. In my opinion, the Paleo diet makes the most sense. And I have yet to encounter anyone who, if they go on the program, implement it correctly and stick to it, haven't enjoyed a huge improvement in their health.

Lastly, I would just like to thank Mark Sisson for all his fantastic work and for his dedication to helping people.

Regards,

Dr. Smith

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Matt's latest post on thyroid health is really good:
    Thyroid Deficiency & Common Health Problems – 180 Degree Health

This crucial material for everyone who considers themselves "health conscious".

patski is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry but...a chiropractor blasting Matt Stone for being inaccurate on health is hilarious to me.

I don't take chiropractors seriously in the least. Horrible experiences with four of them when what I actually had wasn't a back problem whatsoever. Never again.

If I remember correctly, Paul Jaminet doesn't consider low-carb vegetables to be a good source of carbs in the least. Also, I have Matt's e-book on RRARF and he doesn't give gluten two-thumbs up at all.

And saying that people follow Matt Stone to go back to high-carb living is offensive and embarrassing. Paleo isn't a religion, although many people treat it as such.

Melissa Mcewan at Hunt, Gather, Love had a recent blog post about how and why she left paleo. She's not the first to feel this way, and won't be the last.

I don't know you personally Kevin, and this is not a personal attack. But I don't feel paleo is a lifestyle for everyone. While it works for many, it doesn't work for all.
    Last edited by patski; 05-17-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Do you take Mark Sisson seriously?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

patski is offline Senior Member
    Oh man Grumpy...I literally just had the same thought.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD MAN

Oh, and the pancakes in your av are making me hungry.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Patski,

I'm not sure what your background is. Please let me tell you a little bit about mine. I'm a licensed, board certified doctor of chiropractic with 13 years of clinical experience. I'm also the author of the book "Modern Chiropractic: The Way To A Pain-Free Lifestyle". I've treated over 10,000 patients, and have earned the respect of the medical community where I live. Approximately 50% of my new patients are referred to me by medical doctors (primary care, orthopedics, neurology, neurosurgery, pain management). I have two areas of clinical expertise. One is in rehabilitation. The second is in nutrition. I practice in a very ethical, evidence based fashion and pride myself in delivering outstanding care.

Throughout my career, I've heard comments like yours. You're certainly entitled to your opinion (however misguided it may be). Condemnation without adequate investigation is a very unattractive trait. And I challenge you to become more informed.

Chiropractic is certainly not for everyone. For some, they'd rather take drugs. And there certainly is plenty of that. Big Pharma spends approximately a billion dollars a month to ensure people want their products. As I said before, we as a people are over medicated. And through a concerted outreach program, I am steadily educating the people of my community about non-drug alternatives to correcting challenging health care problems.

Regardless if you don't care for chiropractic or the Paleo lifestyle, I wish you the best of luck.

Regards,

Dr. Smith

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast