Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Take Matt Stone Seriously? page 4

Dracil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Eh, there are other anti-low carb viewpoints that I'd rather read than Matt Stone (carbsanity and freetheanimal to start)

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    So wait. People ignored Mark Sisson's reccomendation of 50-100 carbs (more if you feel worse on less) and then 100-150 carbs once you are at your ideal weight and somehow think that carb reduction is bad?

Duh. If you eat too few of a nutrient and get sick it doesn't mean that eating insanely amounts of that nutrient is the cure.

People go to crazy extremes sometimes...

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualhammers View Post
    So wait. People ignored Mark Sisson's reccomendation of 50-100 carbs (more if you feel worse on less) and then 100-150 carbs once you are at your ideal weight and somehow think that carb reduction is bad?

Duh. If you eat too few of a nutrient and get sick it doesn't mean that eating insanely amounts of that nutrient is the cure.

Bravo! Dualhammers! It's the all-or-nothing mindset that really makes for problems on this big spinning rock. Workable solutions are most always gray, not black or white.

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shannon View Post
    well at first (under 100g/carb) i felt wonderful. almost high and euphoric. nothing could touch me! then about a few mos. later my energy started to drag. should i lower my carbs? i mean lowering...

Some of the problems in this discussion has to do with hormone differences between men and women. Women need more carbs then men. I can go with less than 30 grams of carbs a day if I'm relaxing for the period. This would kill my wife. I suggest reading through stuff in the blog below, as it has a unique woman-centric paleo focus.

Paleo For Women

As for the symptoms, you are right on. AS for how much an individual should or should not eat totally depends on the individual. I recommend that everyone experiment a bit to find where they feel best.
    Last edited by Jiigigaw; 07-10-2012 at 07:59 AM.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    wow. so sorry for the long rant. those were the symptoms I experienced. matt stone lists these symptoms when low carbing too long:
    headaches
    dry mouth/eyes
    allergies
    loss of libido
    stomach issues returning
    low body temp (i went from 96F vlc to 99F paleo carbs)
    pms OR loss of menstruation
    moodiness
    fatigue
    body odor
    bad breath
    poor glucose control
    insulin resistance
    panic attacks
    dry hair (thyroid)
    low blood pressure (adrenal)
    and lots more. those are just the ones i can remember.
    I'm not arguing one side or the other ... but these are issues related to hydration:

• Headaches
    • Low Blood Pressure

These are byproducts of being in ketosis

• body odor ( ketones are water soluble, hence can be excreted via sweat )
    • bad breath ( ditto )
    • poor glucose control**
    • insulin resistance**

Note that the items I've starred are the result of adaptation to ketones as an energy substrate and such value laden terms as "poor" and "resistance" are the result of conventional medicine studying subjects whose metabolisms are awash in carbohydrates.

I've posted about this before, but in a nutshell, if your metabolism is ketone adapted, then it is reserving glucose for tissues that cannot use ketones as an energy substrate ( ie red blood cells, and parts of the brain ). The last thing you want is for your muscles to compete with brain and blood cells for glucose, hence, you become "insulin resistant." If you weren't insulin resistant, then your muscles would happily put you into a hypoglycemic coma as soon as some glucose hit your blood stream.

Generally, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, and you need to be careful to differentiate between insulin resistance when glucose is scarce vs. insulin resistance when glucose is plentiful. The former is physiological insulin resistance ( ketone adapted metabolism ), the latter is pathological ( type II diabetic ).

Fatigue is interesting, insofar as this might be indicative of phosphate metabolism issues. I would be very curious to see what would happen to folks experiencing these symptoms were they to supplement with creatine, which both acts as a phosphate donor for ATP generation and serves to increase hydration via retention of water.

Just some idle thoughts ...

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member
    The guy is KA-RAY-ZE.
    Last edited by NoSaladWithoutMeat; 07-21-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSaladWithoutMeat View Post
    The guy is KA-RAY-ZE.
    Am I KA-RAY-ZE or did Mark Sisson just write an blog post for Matt Stone:

10 Health Reasons to Spend Time Outdoors 180 Degree Health
    (1) I am 100% on-board with the primal exercise blue print. It reduces the problem of exercise down to its simplest form and provides a solution that can be used for a lifetime.

(2) I'm not on-board with the primal diet blue print. In fact, I'm not on-board with any diet plan but a man can hope to find the right answer before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualhammers View Post

Seriously. Just eat real food. Nutrient rich. Rice is O.K. Yams are O.K. People go too extreme. Keep veggies in every meal. Eat good fat. No sugar. No gluten... And eat some carbs once [or twice] in a while..
    I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.

AureliaWaterman is offline Junior Member
    it would be better to consult a doctor rather than moving for such things here and there
    Last edited by AureliaWaterman; 05-21-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    click here >>> REI Coupon Code

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    he's still a douche
    I think you'll get some points for that line!
    And I agree completely with your stance on low carb diets; long term.
    Good to know you're doing better.
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast