Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 170 pounds to lose... page

Isisinabi is offline Member

170 pounds to lose...

hi all, I started primal a few weeks ago and have lost 16 pounds so far. I have been on a lot of weight loss forums such as sparkpeople, and a lot of them have categories for how much weight you have to lose or groups for people who are in that category. I usually just browse through them looking for advice on what to do.

So far on this forum I'm having sort of a hard time finding anything specifically from people who are highly obese like myself and are working towards ( or have worked towards) losing 150+ pounds. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Basically I'm feeling a lot better even with just the loss of 16 pounds than I have in a while, but I'm terrified I'm going to mess this up like I messed up every other "diet" and end up gaining rather than losing. I have so far to go that I'm freaking myself out and weighing myself every day and wondering if I don't lose any today if it's okay because of blah blah and if I should do something else or what.

Also I have the primal blueprint and I'm reading through it. It's a great read so far.

Thanks for any help you can give.

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Well done for you weight loss so far! I am also obese and have ~80-90lbs still to lose.

Remember that all the diets you might have tried before are different and perhaps they didn't work before because they are not sustainable, not that it was your fault. I find Primal eating is sustainable as a permanent way of eating because I enjoy the foods and don't crave junk food as much as before. It's a lot easier to find the willpower to keep going or to come back from the occasional slip-up, when you have an enjoyable healthy diet to go back to, not some painful fad diet!

There is a 'Significant Weight Loss' group you can join here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group11.html
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 06-15-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    You're definitely not alone. My starting weight was 334, I'm now at 308. I'm looking at around 160 for my goal.

I've lost 175 pounds on Atkins, eating fairly similar to Primal. Still want to lose about 20 or so more pounds. And this is with health conditions (hypothyroid, arthritis, fibromyalgia) So yes, it is doable. It's taken me 3+ years but I haven't minded as I'm eating this way for life.

I'd say Primal is a good method to do the same. Healthy eating, exercise, etc. Learn to eat right, fix bad habits, and slowly lose the weight.

Recognize it's going to take time, possibly years to lose alot of weight but learning how to eat healthy and change your habits is worth it.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    I started at 326 lbs., and I'm down to about 205. 200 lbs. is my goal weight, but to hit my body fat percentage goal I'm going to have to lose another 20-25 lbs. of fat and add 20 lbs. of muscle. Paleo/Primal is probably the easiest way to lose weight, but its benefits go far beyond that.
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

Isisinabi is offline Member
    Wow Sihana thank you for all of that. I will be following that strictly starting tomorrow. I would say today but I already had a Boston Market half chicken and veggies lunch. So I technically ate out. I am curious as to why no working out. I am so not used to eating 3000 calories. I'm not even eatin 1500 these days. I became so used to eating 800 a day it feels wrong to stuff more veggies and fruits in my face. I almost felt bad the other day for eatin 10 blueberries at a time. But I will attempt to do this to the best of my abilities. Also I really like 88% dark chocolate. Is that terrible for the first month?

Thanks for all your replies guys I appreciate it greatly.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I wish you the best of luck and have every faith in your ability to climb every mountain.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ivelosttheweight View Post
    I've lost 175 pounds on Atkins, eating fairly similar to Primal. Still want to lose about 20 or so more pounds. And this is with health conditions (hypothyroid, arthritis, fibromyalgia) So yes, it is doable. It's taken me 3+ years but I haven't minded as I'm eating this way for life.

I'd say Primal is a good method to do the same. Healthy eating, exercise, etc. Learn to eat right, fix bad habits, and slowly lose the weight.

Recognize it's going to take time, possibly years to lose alot of weight but learning how to eat healthy and change your habits is worth it.
    Nicely put!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Wow hey welcome. I started this in April 2012. I was 350 lbs ish, I dont know exactly and I may have been a lot more. I just said no to sugar and all grains ( do cheat a bit but only every once in a while) I eat when I am hungry, I consciously do not eat when I am not hungry. I stick to meat, fat and salads, fruit and steamed veggies. I love sunflower seeds and will eat too much of them so I try not to have them in the house. I walk, every day for about an hour and a half all told with my dog. I play with bows and arrows and slingshots. I try to sleep 10 pm till 6 am every day. I read labels and am paranoid about sugar in my food. I cook good food.

I dont track calories. I dont worry if I cheat a bit, mostly fries. If I do cheat I purposely IF the next day. I IF 1 day in 3 anyways and most of the time I eat 2 meals a day, sometimes just 1. I seldom eat before noon except for Bullet proof coffee.

I have lost since April 50 or more lbs, I am 304 lbs as of this Tuesday past. I plan to get to 220 lbs or less.

If you want to go at it like a Drill Sargent is breathing down your ass and that works for you, go for it. It does not work for me.

Accept that this is not a diet but a way of life, going back to the old way is death so it you loose weight slowly dont sweat it. Just detoxifying your body will help, the walking will help ( get a dog) eat what you want when you are hungry ( within PB foods of course) and play outside in the sun. You will feel better, you will improve, how fast is up to you.

Good luck.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I have done boot camp, I know what it is. I dont feel that I need to measure and count and be strict to succeed. I am an adult, I can understand the ideas, follow the lifestyle without the DI in my shorts. I know who I am, I know what I am about and where I am going.

The first 20 lbs may have been water loss but the rest aint so dont be discounting the rest as anything other than the huge success it is for me.

My point is that if the OP prefers a more fluid easygoing style, dont be demanding that they have to do it your way. Your way would have ruined the fun of this for me. The fact that I can do it without stressing is what I like best.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast