Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 170 pounds to lose... page 3

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Who is it around here that has a signature that says something like "don't believe anything I say" ?
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.......

Go paint your testicles, Grizz.
    PaleoBird,
    You are losing all of your credibility with talk like that. Let us see YOUR Doctor reports proving me wrong.

Here is what Dr. James Howenstine, MD. says about Iodine:
    Lack of iodine is widespread in the United States today. For many years iodine was added to bread in generous quantities which prevented iodine deficiency. Each slice of bread contained 150 mcg. of iodine filling the whole days RDA of iodine In 1960 the average diet consumed about 1 mg. of iodine daily with bakery products accounting for about 75 % of the total. This quantity of iodine was enough to decrease the thyroid glands ability to absorb radioactive iodine and it was also sufficient to prevent excess release of thyroid hormone thus preventing many cases of hyperthyroidism (Grave’s Disease).

Forty years ago the food industry decided to remove iodine from baked goods and replace the iodine with bromine. Iodine and bromine appear similar to the thyroid gland and bromine easily binds to the thyroid gland’s receptors for iodine. Bromine, however, is of no value to the thyroid gland unlike iodine and it inhibits the activity of iodine in the thyroid gland. Bromine also can cause impaired thinking and memory, drowsiness, dizziness and irritability. This substitution of bromine for iodine has resulted in nearly universal deficiency of iodine in the American populace. Iodine therapy helps the body eliminate fluoride, bromine, lead, cadmium, arsenic, aluminum and mercury. Could this substitution of bromine for iodine have been carried out to increase diseases and thus create more need for pharmaceutical drugs?

Among the problems caused by iodine deficiency are:

Underactivity of the thyroid gland produces fatigue. In rodents iodine deficiency leads to abnormal pituitary-adrenal function. The adrenal gland provides energy and stamina.
    When iodine no longer binds to thyroid cell membranes enzymes called peroxidases are able to damage these membranes and produce autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Hyperthroidism (Graves Disease). Researcher Dr. Guy Abraham has observed several cases of thyroiditis and hyperthyroidism that have been corrected by the simple replacement of iodine. For more than 100 years high doses of iodine have been known to benefit both underactivity (hypothyroidism) of the thyroid gland and overactivity of the thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism). Iodine therapy allows the sluggish thyroid gland to resume normal production of thyroid hormone leading to resolution of hypothyroidism. Provision of iodine stops the peroxidase injury to the thyroid membranes in hyperthyroidism which permits hyperthyroidism to resolve. Thus thyroid surgery for hyperthyroidism is no longer necessary.
    Several human organs need iodine but can not absorb it until blood iodine levels reach high values (stomach, salivary glands). Most persons exhibit impaired production of stomach acid as they age. This impaired capability to produce adequate stomach acid may be a result of iodine deficiency as iodine promotes stomach acidity.
    Resolution of cysts Iodine therapy resolves nearly every case of breast cysts. This treatment also can heal ovarian cysts and works well on skin cysts when rubbed over the cyst.
    Iodine is found in large quantities in the brain and the ciliary body of the eye. Lack of iodine may be involved in production of Parkinson’s disease and glaucoma.
    Lipoprotein (a) This dangerous substance is quite important as it produces plaques in arteries because it is very sticky and collects platelets, calcium and fibrin from the blood circulating inside our arteries. Excessive clotting and vascular disease resulting from high levels of lipoprotein (a) can be reversed by iodine treatment.
    Other Health Problems Iodine has proven value in treating headaches, keloids, and parotid duct stones.
    How Can Iodine Deficiency Be Detected?

An accurate test for diagnosing iodine deficiency exists. Dr. Jay Abrahams has developed a loading test to settle this issue.

For the rest of the doctor's article:
    Dr. James Howenstine -- Iodine is Vital For Good Health
    So, PaleoBird, as you can see, I have all the doctors reports backing up everything I say and you have NOTHING but vile NEGATIVISM. Who are we going to listen to? YOU and your negativism or Dr. Howenstine?

Would you like to see some more Doctor Reports? For each of your SNIDE remarks, I've got 20 more doctor reports,

Bottom line, it doesn't matter how you get iodine into your body. You can eat large portions of tainted seafood & seaweed several times a week as suggested by Dr. Kruse, or you can take pure iodine supplements as suggested by Dr. Brownstein.
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-17-2012 at 01:44 PM.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    I will be blunt to you, and will be ruthless in picking apart any excuses you give, because you need it.

Just chopping this for length.
    Excellent post. Anything that I'd quibble with is minor to the point of being unnecessary.

I dumped 75lbs doing paleo fairly fanatically then slipped into the mindset of "I'm good, I can do what I like..." and now have to start over again.

Listen to Sihana's post it'll save you time in the long run.

Good luck, and pay no attention the forum politics. It's a distractor from what you're after.

Taggy G is offline Junior Member
    Isisi- That is awesome! I just started only about 2 weeks ago. Print off Sihana's post. Out of lots of research and stuff, I was doing just what they said for month one. Now obviously I am no freaking expert since I'm such a fledgling, but aside from some forum squabbling, it seems we are all here for the same reason. Good luck and keep at it! Remember you're the only one who can do this for your body, and guess what? You can and will!

Isisinabi is offline Member
    I'm still reading but I wonder if I'm not eating enough. I'm getting about 771 cal a day as measures by my fitness pal (isisinabi on there). I'm eating 3 eggs mushrooms spinach and 4 bacon for breakfast, blueberries (a cup), a can of tuna with mustard or a chicken breast and kale for lunch, and a chicken breast, green beans and kale for dinner. And maybe an apple that I don't even want to eat as a snack around 4pm. Is this not enough? I'm just not hungry. I don't know what to add to make more calories when I feel full on what I'm eating. I don't even wake up starving anymore.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    You lost your ability to feel hunger. Start a feeding regime, eating SOMETHING every 4-5 hours. Try to work your way up to 1200 calories minimum. Also, eat more proteins and fats instead of veggies. In a few days, your body will wake up and start yelling at you if you do not eat.

Sorry to butt in, but I have lost 39 lbs so far and have a good 65-70 to go. I'm a 47 year old female. I've lost a huge part of my appetite and money's tight so I'd LOVE to just eat when I'm hungry (about the same calories as the OP) and not force food into me that I can't really afford at the moment (sounds strange, but I can't, honest). I'm truly primal and mostly moving slowly (a LOT compared to before) with the odd-sprint and hefting heavy things in the garden. I'm getting my protein, my veggies, the odd fruit and healthy fat. If I'm not hungry, can't I just eat this way (supplementing some like magnesium and D etc)? Sure, I don't want to have my metabolism shut down or have my body hang onto fat and break down muscle (what little I have, HAH) but I have a LOT of fat of my own to feed on. Is it so bad to listen to my ok-sort-of-still-broken body and eat as needed? Once I start feeling weird must eat cravings, of course I'll eat more calories. For the record, this is the first time in years I have no interest in eating much and it's FABULOUS.

I'm truly interested in people's responses. (Sorry, OP, for hijacking your thread).
    Last edited by KerryK; 06-19-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: mistakes...sigh

Isisinabi is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    Sorry to butt in, but I have lost 39 lbs so far and have a good 65-70 to go. I'm a 47 year old female. I've lost a huge part of my appetite and money's tight so I'd LOVE to just eat when I'm hungry (about the same calories as the OP) and not force food into me that I can't really afford at the moment (sounds strange, but I can't, honest). I'm truly primal and mostly moving slowly (a LOT compared to before) with the odd-sprint and hefting heavy things in the garden. I'm getting my protein, my veggies, the odd fruit and healthy fat. If I'm not hungry, can't I just eat this way (supplementing some like magnesium and D etc)? Sure, I don't want to have my metabolism shut down or have my body hang onto fat and break down muscle (what little I have, HAH) but I have a LOT of fat of my own to feed on. Is it so bad to listen to my ok-sort-of-still-broken body and eat as needed? Once I start feeling weird must eat cravings, of course I'll eat more calories. For the record, this is the first time in years I have no interest in eating much and it's FABULOUS.

I'm truly interested in people's responses. (Sorry, OP, for hijacking your thread).
    No no please feel free to hijack I want to know how people are doing when they have a lot to lose. I am still scared that I'm somehow doing it wrong, because it seems so simple in comparison to weighing foods, working out for a half hour every day and failing if I mess up once and the more I hear that others who are my size or close to it are progressing and it's working well for them makes me freak out less.

How long have you been paleo?

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Sihana, I think your response to Warmbear did come off as a bit condescending, though I don't think you intended it to be that way. I think that we all have to find our own way of doing this, and the path is a little different for each person. It's better for each of us to approach this lifestyle in a way that works with our individual needs, because it's STILL better than not doing it at all. I say kudos to warmbear for knowing his limits and working within them. I also think it's important to be a source of encouragement, and not to berate other attempts simply because it doesn't match what has worked for you. So I just want to say, keep up the good work Warmbear. And Sihana, it does sound like you've got something great that's worked really well for you, so congrats to you too. And for the record, I have lost a tad over 150lbs, not even close to all of it on primal.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Isisinabi View Post
    I am still scared that I'm somehow doing it wrong, because it seems so simple in comparison to weighing foods, working out for a half hour every day and failing if I mess up once and the more I hear that others who are my size or close to it are progressing and it's working well for them makes me freak out less.
    I felt this way for pretty much the whole first year I ate primal! I kept waiting for it to get "hard" and for the weight to pile back on to me. I do go through phases where primal eating is a little bit harder than others, but once you get the basics down it really is the easiest way to eat I've ever found.

I "only" lost about 50 lbs (and have kept it off for 1.5 years so far), but did so following primal basics - but very limited dairy. I also don't worry about the occasional non-primal meal as far as weight loss is concerned. If you can, just stick with the basics for a while. Keep it simple and don't trouble shoot anything as long as it is working
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As you are older, the rules work a bit different for you. If you are eating 1200 calories, based off your hunger signals, and still losing, you will be fine, barring anything else unexpected. The exercise you do alone will signal your brain to recalculate how much your body needs to survive, and your brain will fire off hunger signals accordingly. So if you are hungry, eat until full, and repeat, you should be fine.

The problem is if you can easily ignore the hunger, or just do not feel any hunger, then you need to eat more to get your body out of that state. It is for this reason why I recommend eating random macros every day (high carb one day, high protein no carb another, fasting day, high fat day, etc), and it is most likely the biggest contributor to my weight loss.

It really depends what your current height is, your weight, your current caloric intake, and your current hormone balance.

For in general to everyone:
    I would recommend ensuring you do nothing but eat at mealtimes. It is very easy to get distracted, and not be able to eat your meal in full. So what if you stuff your face and are done in 5 minutes, as long as you chew.
    I'm eating around 800-1000 so I'm concerned I'm heading for trouble metabolically. I'll just have to play it by ear and watch how I'm progressing and up my eating if necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Isisinabi View Post
    No no please feel free to hijack I want to know how people are doing when they have a lot to lose. I am still scared that I'm somehow doing it wrong, because it seems so simple in comparison to weighing foods, working out for a half hour every day and failing if I mess up once and the more I hear that others who are my size or close to it are progressing and it's working well for them makes me freak out less.

How long have you been paleo?
    Since March, but I took 6 weeks off in the middle after a Crohn's flare and re-discovered the good and bad of grains and sugar. Our best friend is the search engine - for Mark's blog and also the forums. You type in your question and see many threads where others have asked the same questions before... I must have spend 4 weeks of pouring through as much as I could on this site. My big thing now, besides eating clean and getting enough sleep (eek, 10 minutes after I should be asleep) is not worrying as much as I used to. Well, trying not to anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast