Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 170 pounds to lose... page 2

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have 135 to lose! Well, I've lost 38, so I suppose I now have 97 to lose

Also that 135 lost only gets me to my "healthy" goal, I am considering going further, which would be a 150lb loss over all, but I'm really not stressing about that, right now I'm just aiming for healthy me, and once I get there I'll still be primal anyway so if I happen to drop further then so be it!

I have faith in ya. I have never lost weight before, seriously. I ballooned from ~150lb to ~240lb in 9 months on medication, and slowly crept from ~240lb to ~280lb over the next 3 years. I never lost any more than say 5lb on any diet, which would've been 80% water weight I imagine, and I'd always give up and just start climbing again. I use to always plan diets but never actually do them.

This to me now is a lifestyle. I've adopted these changes and I'm in it for life! In some ways I'm lucky that I actually have celiacs as an excuse if people get pissy about my "fussy" eating.

Congrats on finding primal!
    Last edited by nixxy; 06-15-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Bad maths :|
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    hehehe read your journal Sihana, you are anal retentive aint cha? I dont pretend to understand the technical data you collect and work with and if that is what you need to do, good for you. I would go mad.

As for stalling and needing to fall back on your method. I dont see me doing it, I doubt Grok would either. If I stall, I will figure it out as I go. I am not in a rush.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Isisinabi View Post
    So far on this forum I'm having sort of a hard time finding anything specifically from people who are highly obese like myself and are working towards ( or have worked towards) losing 150+ pounds. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    First off, WELCOME and congratulations on the weight loss so far! Glad you decided to join us here in the forums. I started PB at the first of this month at 340 and have about 125 to lose. There is a thread here that was recently revived and may be a source of encouragement and also a connecting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    Accept that this is not a diet but a way of life, going back to the old way is death so it you loose weight slowly dont sweat it. Just detoxifying your body will help, the walking will help ( get a dog) eat what you want when you are hungry ( within PB foods of course) and play outside in the sun. You will feel better, you will improve, how fast is up to you
    Absolutely agree with this. While still in my first month, my priorities are very foundational and very simple. Transition to primal eating, fix my sleep schedule and develop a habit of being active. Anything beyond that, even "good" things, I'm weary of as not only potential distractions, but as things that could actually sabotage me at this developing stage.

I have so far to go that I'm freaking myself out and weighing myself every day and wondering if I don't lose any today if it's okay because of blah blah and if I should do something else or what.

Also I have the primal blueprint and I'm reading through it. It's a great read so far.
    Great to hear you're reading the book. Seriously, don't stress. Warmbear is offering some great advice. This isn't a diet, this isn't short-term. It's a lifestyle and your transition to it will be a unique and long-term process. Not getting everything 100% correct everyday (or on any given day) isn't the end of the world and doesn't mean you've failed and are starting back at square one. A great place for simple guidance on starting, that will set you up for success, is Mark's post How to Guide: Making the Switch to Primal Living in 6 Easy Steps.

Also, check out the Primal Journals forum. It's a great way to see how other people are navigating PB (and it's a great place for inspiration for primal meals). Here is mine, including an intro that's shares about my own weight challenges and a bit about how I'm approaching PB.

Hope some of this has been helpful and again, glad you're here!
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Grizz is offline Banned
    hi all, I started primal a few weeks ago and have lost 16 pounds so far. I have been on a lot of weight loss forums such as sparkpeople, and a lot of them have categories for how much weight you have to lose or groups for people who are in that category. I usually just browse through them looking for advice on what to do.

So far on this forum I'm having sort of a hard time finding anything specifically from people who are highly obese like myself and are working towards ( or have worked towards) losing 150+ pounds. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Basically I'm feeling a lot better even with just the loss of 16 pounds than I have in a while, but I'm terrified I'm going to mess this up like I messed up every other "diet" and end up gaining rather than losing. I have so far to go that I'm freaking myself out and weighing myself every day and wondering if I don't lose any today if it's okay because of blah blah and if I should do something else or what.

Also I have the primal blueprint and I'm reading through it. It's a great read so far.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    I have to suggest that you are very likely to have hypothyroid symptoms (Low Thyroid) which means a very slow metabolism that refuses to burn fat. Do you have any of these symptoms?
    Less stamina than others
    Less energy than others
    Long recovery period after any activity
    Arms feeling like dead weights after activity
    Chronic Low Grade Depression
    Suicidal Thoughts
    Often feeling cold
    Cold hands and feet

Bizarre and Debilitating reaction to exercise
    No eyebrows or thinning outer eyebrows
    Dry Hair
    Hair Loss

No hair growth, breaks faster than it grows
    Dry cracking skin - no sweating
    Nodding off easily
    Requires naps in the afternoon

Sleep Apnea (which can also be associated with low cortisol)
    Inability to concentrate or read long periods of time
    Forgetfulness
    Foggy thinking (Brain Fog)
    Inability to lose weight

Always gaining weight
    Inability to function in a relationship with anyone
    NO sex drive
    Failure to ovulate and/or constant bleeding (see Rainbow’s story)
    Moody, painful periods
    PMS

Inability to get pregnant; miscarriages
    Excruciating pain during period

Swelling/edema/puffiness
    Aching bones/muscles
    Acne on face and in hair
    Exhaustion in every dimension–physical, mental, spiritual, emotional
    Complete lack of motivation

Slowing to a snail’s pace when walking up slight grade
    Broken/peeling fingernails
    Dry skin or snake skin
    Major anxiety/worry
    Joint pain
    Carpal tunnel symptoms
    Blood Pressure problems
    Low body temperature**
    Tightness in throat; sore throat
    Swollen lymph glands
    Headaches and Migraines
    a cold bum, butt, derriere, fanny, gluteus maximus, haunches, hindquarters, posterior, rear, and/or cheeks. Yup, really exists.

** Your body temp is less than 98.6 degrees before getting out of bed in the morning, then you ARE hypothyroid.
    If you answered YES to many of these, especially items highlited, then you have hypothyroid symptoms and are likely to be extremely iodine deficient. Iodine deficiency means your thyroid cannot produce the required thyroid hormones to boost your metabolism. I suggest that you follow the Dr. Brownstein Iodine Protocol detailed here:
    "http://tinyurl.com/iodine-story"

Additional symptoms of severe iodine deficiency:
    Fibrocystic Breasts, PCOS, Cysts, Endometriosis.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-17-2012 at 12:31 AM.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    To the OP, in case you couldnt tell, Grizz is something of a whack job that all but very few do our best to ignore. If you choose to maul your body with his latest fanaticism, it's your choice, but please don't think he speaks for more than a handful of people, no matter how much he says "we".
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineC View Post
    To the OP, in case you couldnt tell, Grizz is something of a whack job that all but very few do our best to ignore. If you choose to maul your body with his latest fanaticism, it's your choice, but please don't think he speaks for more than a handful of people, no matter how much he says "we".
    The Whack Jobs are those who refuse to see the facts that the human body requires iodine for a healthy thyroid and healthy organs. I suggest that you do your own research. Google Hypothyroid Symptoms, then google thyroid iodine. Don't take my word for anything. It is very easy to prove for yourself every word in my message. If you don't start supplementing with iodine, your thyroid could eventually suffer permanent damage and you could require Thyroid Meds for life.

I've done all the research for you already. You will find hundreds of doctor reports from leading doctors, testimonials, and research reports here. Just click on the Table of Contents to navigate:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

The simplified version of the above report is here:
    Iodine Anyone? - Page 262 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 262

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-17-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineC View Post
    Thank you, Elaine.
    His latest craze would be comical if it weren't so dangerous. Excess iodine will trash your thyroid. People self-diagnosing iodine deficits based on "feeling tired" and then self medicating is reckless endangerment of gullible people. Painting iodine on one's privates (no, I am not kidding, they really do this) is just flat out stupidity.

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    Either ignore Grizz or get an iodine and thyroid hormone test; don't just start supplementing iodine without on self-diagnosis.

Half the symptoms he mentioned are essentially fatigue, and fatigue can be caused from everything from cancer to not eating right.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thank you, Elaine.
    His latest craze would be comical if it weren't so dangerous. Excess iodine will trash your thyroid. People self-diagnosing iodine deficits based on "feeling tired" and then self medicating is reckless endangerment of gullible people. Painting iodine on one's privates (no, I am not kidding, they really do this) is just flat out stupidity.
    PaleoBird,
    You are dangerous with such bad advice. There are THOUSANDS of people doing the Dr. Brownstien Iodine Protocol at the Yahoo Iodine Group (6,347 members as of today)
    iodine : Iodine

Iodine is REQUIRED for good health and is required for thyroid health, and the breasts require far more iodine than any organ in the body. If you don't get enough iodine into your breasts, the result is fibrocystic breast disease.
    Dr Derry discusses this:
    Derry. Iodine and the Breast -- Research

Dr. Beaulieu goes into detail
    Iodine and Fibrocystic Disease

So, sorry to say, PaleoBird, should we listen to YOU or these excellent doctors.
    We will take take these doctor reports over your nonsense any day,

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-17-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.......

Go paint your testicles, Grizz.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast