Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Doctor is Scaring Me! page

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member

My Doctor is Scaring Me!

Primal Fuel
    So yeah I decided (who knows why) to go to the doctor a few weeks ago for a health check up.

They put me on blood pressure medicine, which has now decreased my potassium to "critically low" levels.

I picked up the potassium this morning and they said I had to take it IMMEDIATELY with "lots" of food and water. Since I'm on 24H IF and have been for 2 weeks now, I don't have any food with me (at work) and I am certainly not going to break my 3 months of no fast food streak.

THEN I got an email from the doctor saying that my cholesterol and glucose were elevated and because of these things I was pre-diabetic. She said I have to immediately begin eating lean meats and whole grain breads and cereals plus fish. 1. I don't eat bread 2. I loathe fish, the smell makes me nauseous. 3. Lean Meat?! QQ

But they've seriously got me scared, I don't want to completely reverse all my primal plans because I feel amazing. I've lost 25 pounds in 2 months, my skin is so clear I no longer need makeup, my hair is shiny, and I'm more active than I've ever been. None of which seems to be impressing my doctor.

Doctor orders are compelling and I feel really stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to go back to bloating, IBS, adult acne, and sluggishness. I also don't want the doctor to yell at me anymore, and I don't want to get diabetes (though how going back to eating starch and sugared things will help that, I don't know.)

I guess I need advice or help or just someone to pat me on the back and say all will be ok.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Ask for your test results so you can see for yourself what your "high" levels are. Many doctors think anything over 130 is high and needs to be lowered. Not true.

My cholesterol was 215, the report says that average is <200.

My fasting glucose was 112, the report says that average is 77-99.

I AM substantially overweight (5'8" and 308 lbs currently) but it is going steadily down. My BP was 131/96 and it was the third time it had been high (especially my resting rate) and that is why I'm on the meds. They say if I keep losing weight and my big stressor (my mom is in the hospital and I'm handling all her finances/affairs for 2+ months now) that I won't need the medicine anymore. I can't stand doctors or medicines and I honestly regret going.

I also have not told the doctor about intermittent fasting because I don't imagine that going over very well, either. It has been met with 2000% resistance from pretty much everyone I've told.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    So yeah I decided (who knows why) to go to the doctor a few weeks ago for a health check up.
    Some people would say this was your first mistake: Going to a doctor when you don't have a serious illness/injury. Do you take the car to the mechanic when it's running perfectly (assuming necessary maintenance is up to date?) Of course not. They'll try to sell you something...

Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty
    They put me on blood pressure medicine, which has now decreased my potassium to "critically low" levels.
    Those same people (not me. I wouldn't give out medical advice. That would be horrible. I'm no doctor!) might say your second mistake was taking blood pressure medicine. Treating symptoms rather than underlying causes might not prove to be a great strategy in the long-term.

I picked up the potassium this morning and they said I had to take it IMMEDIATELY with "lots" of food and water. Since I'm on 24H IF and have been for 2 weeks now, I don't have any food with me (at work) and I am certainly not going to break my 3 months of no fast food streak.
    So they prescribed you something that had adverse effects, then prescribed you something else to deal with those effects? (I use prescribed in the "recommended" sense, not necessarily the medical-license sense)

THEN I got an email from the doctor saying that my cholesterol and glucose were elevated and because of these things I was pre-diabetic. She said I have to immediately begin eating lean meats and whole grain breads and cereals plus fish. 1. I don't eat bread 2. I loathe fish, the smell makes me nauseous. 3. Lean Meat?! QQ

But they've seriously got me scared, I don't want to completely reverse all my primal plans because I feel amazing. I've lost 25 pounds in 2 months, my skin is so clear I no longer need makeup, my hair is shiny, and I'm more active than I've ever been. None of which seems to be impressing my doctor.

Doctor orders are compelling and I feel really stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to go back to bloating, IBS, adult acne, and sluggishness. I also don't want the doctor to yell at me anymore, and I don't want to get diabetes (though how going back to eating starch and sugared things will help that, I don't know.)

I guess I need advice or help or just someone to pat me on the back and say all will be ok.
    I'm not gonna say that the simple solution is to stop going to the doctor (until you actually need a doctor), but a lot of people here might. Do you want to get better or do you want to stay sick and be under treatment?

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    So they say your blood pressure will get better once you've lost weight. Eating grains and low fat food is not going to help you with that! Stick to a Primal diet with plenty of variety to make sure you're getting all the fat, protein and essential nutrients you need.

Intermittent fasting can be good for correcting insulin sensitivity, but it can add unnecessary stress too. Maybe give fasting a rest until your life stresses are reduced. As you are still big, the weight will drop off fast even without fasting.

They are trying to panic you into changing your diet, not understanding that you're already doing the right thing. Just nod and pretend to agree with them when they get stuck on a CW loop, and reassure them that you're doing your bit.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I think it's normal to be worried when your doc tells you to change what you're doing. But have you thought of getting a second opinion from a different doc? We can all give you advice till we're blue in the face, but you'd likely feel better if you had a different MD review your situation and give you their input.

Fasting makes me feel really good actually, though I am going to give in and break it today so I can take the potassium pill at lunch since such low potassium can cause arrhythmia and I don't want THAT to happen. (Of course my potassium was fine before *rolleyes*)

I think I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. I'll take the bp meds and the potassium because my bp IS high, I suppose. Though it has not gone down since taking the pill. >.> I don't know. Once you get sucked in, you are SUCKED IN and they want to be poking and prodding and testing and leaving persistent voice mails every other hour, heh.

Since I have Kaiser I'm fairly certain any other MD I get for my PCP will be fully engaged in the CW approach, as that is part of their riff lately, fighting obesity with whole grains and regimental exercise etc.

I feel calmer now, thanks everyone.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You have an intelligent plan--the BP is the only thing that's currently critical, and as you lose weight you'll be able to get off the BP meds.

Ignore the doctor's 'dietary' advice. Eating grains will drive you right into diabetes. Just stick with what you're doing. You know it's the right thing; he's just spouting the crap he learned in med school--or what the drug reps tell him.

It's too bad about your insurance because any doctor who 'yelled' at me would be my former doctor.

If I were you, I'd invest in a home BP monitor (they're inexpensive, and I have had one for years). This way you can monitor your own BP and go to the doctor as seldom as possible. You want to watch it because as it lowers naturally, the meds can bring it too low.

That's a good idea on the home BP monitor, thank you!

I could request a different doctor, but I am not offended enough yet to do so. PLUS I really like the nurse there, who is very supportive and positive towards me when I go. I spend more time with the nurse than the doctor typically, he was just on vacation this week. =P

Ncgirl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post

I also don't want the doctor to yell at me anymore .
    Well that's enough to raise your BP in the doctors office. REally 131/96 isn't that high. Personally I think the drug companies have managed to manipulate all of the target numbers lower and lower so they can get everyone on all of their toxic drugs. 131/96 used to be in the normal range.

I would sure try some natural solutions AND monitor my BP at home for a while before getting on BP meds; especially one that messes with your electrolytes. Potassium helps LOWER BP. I just can't get my head around taking something that depletes it to lower BP??????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast