Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did Grok eat seasonally? page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

What did Grok eat seasonally?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've begun looking into local seasonal produce. While there's a very wide variety May through December (upstate New York = shorter growing cycle and later harvest), from January through April there isn't a lot -- basically, cold storage for apples, carrots, garlic, onions, potatoes and turnips, plus mushrooms and, starting in April, fiddleheads, nettles, parsnips and stinging nettles. That's it.

So this made me wonder: what did Grok eat when produce wasn't abundant? Was it all meat, fish and bone marrow?

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I would think that the answer to this question is going to depend on which particular Grok you might mean. The Grok who lived north of the Arctic Circle? The Grok who lived in Australia? The Grok who lived near the Mediterranean?
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    I would think that the answer to this question is going to depend on which particular Grok you might mean. The Grok who lived north of the Arctic Circle? The Grok who lived in Australia? The Grok who lived near the Mediterranean?
    The Grok who lived in Upstate New York. But also just in general: What did Grok eat when produce wasn't abundant?

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Interesting article here about native American diet: Guts and Grease: The Diet of Native Americans
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    During the Ice Age, Cro-Magnons ate mostly meat and fat during the long winters. At some points during the Ice Age, people may have only consumed about a cupful or so of vegetables per year.

People who lived further south (Africa, Middle East, Australia, etc.) would have had more access to vegetables and fruit, and they made up more of their diet.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Thanks.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Northern Latitude native Americans stored fat and meat in various ways through the winter - they were basically pure carnivore / serious IFers during the winter months. The Lakota Sioux (Montana, Dakotas area) kept big jugs of buffalo fat and smoked meat as their winter stores. By the time Europeans came, there was fairly widespread corn and squash farming in our area - so they surely preserved those by drying for winter times, but that was post-Grok I suppose.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Meat.

Thank you both.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    I've begun looking into local seasonal produce. While there's a very wide variety May through December (upstate New York = shorter growing cycle and later harvest), from January through April there isn't a lot -- basically, cold storage for apples, carrots, garlic, onions, potatoes and turnips, plus mushrooms and, starting in April, fiddleheads, nettles, parsnips and stinging nettles. That's it.

So this made me wonder: what did Grok eat when produce wasn't abundant? Was it all meat, fish and bone marrow?
    Interesting question. Unfortunately, I wasn't there so I can't really say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast