Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little overwhelmed..... need simple recipes to start with.... page 3

CarlaC is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Get some fresh fish (whatever looks good to you or is on sale) and a bag of spinach or baby spinach. Also make sure you have tin foil, sesame oil, and either fresh ginger or a jar of chopped ginger (I detest jarred garlic but the ginger tastes fine and is very easy).

1. Put the fish on the tin foil. Drizzle with sesame oil and cover with some dollops of ginger. Seal the tin foil (make an airtight pouch). Cook at 375 until it's done (salmon is usually 20 mins- test it by turning a fork in the fish and seeing it it's flaky).

2. Put the whole bag of spinach in a pan and sautée with butter (or olive oil or coconut oil). Cover with a lid until it wilts- should only be a few minutes. Put a little bit of salt and some pepper flakes on it.

Obviously if you are against: seed oils, butter, spinach in a bag- then adjust. I am trying to make this as easy as possible for you and I have five sons so I am trying to help a guy out .

Whatever you make, whoever you make it: make double (at least).

RedFalcon is offline Junior Member
    Here's a quickie, one of my FAVORITE go-to meals:

1 package ground turkey
    1 lb ground pork
    A little butter or olive oil
    Frozen (fresh) peas and carrots
    (personally I can't stand these EXCEPT in this dish)
    OR just throw some veggie market peas and diced carrots in there
    Diced fresh tomatoes
    Small dice celery
    dice onion
    couple squirts of tomato paste
    (or better yet, some homemade ketchup)
    S&P
    fine chop cauliflower (faux potato texture)
    some 'shrooms if you like them

....or actually whatever else you feel like. In the past I've put diced bacon in it, jicama, beets...whatever.

Brown the meats and mushrooms in the butter or oil, you can just add all the other stuff with the tomato paste and let it stew for about 10/15 mins to cook the cauliflower.

Voila: Campfire Stew - Paleo style.

This makes enough for a week of lunches. Served with a salad of course.

Enjoy.

Kiowa is offline Junior Member
    Eggs all the time (use pasture fed butter to cook them), humanly raised uncured bacon if possible. I probably eat this meal 4 times a week.

Handful of almonds, chase it with some coconut milk for a quick snack.

What Metric said, have chicken, steak, salmon on hand, throw it on a bed of organic spinach or greens, spice it up with balsamic vinaigrette and some of your favorite fruits and veggies.

Its a matter of these items on hand, making the meals doesn't take long!

LeNeen is offline Junior Member
    Hello there,

I read through some of your recipes and they sound quite wonderful. Can you help me come up with a Primal "Hot Pocket"? I want to make some meat pies that are easy to carry but can't find anything like that. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Buy these spices: ginger, garlic powder, anything spicy (like chili paste/powder, or paprika), salt and pepper.
    Whenever you cook bacon, keep the grease.
    Buy coconut oil (if you like stir-frys)

Shrimp Salad

Uncooked shrimp, zucchini squash, yellow summer squash.
    Cook:
    1. Remove tails from shrimp.
    2. Slice zucchini and squash in thin circles.
    3. Heat olive oil in a frying pan at high heat, and once the oil is sizzling turn the heat down to medium heat.
    4. Cook the shrimp for 2 minutes, stirring the shrimp the whole time.
    5. Sprinkle some salt and pepper, garlic powder, ginger and any hot red spice you have.
    6. Now add your zucchini and squash slices and turn off the heat. Stir a few times so the spices go in the vegetables.
    7. It's ready to serve as soon as the vegetables become warm and wilted.

Porkchops and Red Cabbage
    Boneless pork chops, one small red cabbage, one red cabbage.
    The day before:

1. If the pork chops are very thick, slice them like this. You can cook the thick ones, but the thin ones will be more flavorful.
    2. In a zip-lock bag or tupperware, put the pork chops, a little olive oil, a little vinegar. wine, or lemon juice, garlic powder, any red pepper spice you have. Add enough water to cover the chops.
    3. Leave in the fridge over-night.

Cook:
    1. Cut large ribbons of red cabbage and red onion. About half-inch wide?
    2. Heat some bacon grease at high heat. When it starts sizzling...
    3. ...cook the pork chops on each side just until they form a delicious brown crust, then turn the heat to low until the pork chops are cooked through (just a few minutes)
    4. Remove pork chops from heat.
    5. Turn the heat back to high, and add more bacon grease if needed.
    6. Once it starts sizzling again, cook the vegetables. Sprinkle some salt and pepper. If you have some balsamic vinegar, add a few drops, but it's not really needed.
    7. You'll need to stir the vegetables the whole time. It's ready as soon as the cabbage becomes soft and smells good!

Lazy-day Chicken Stir-fry
    Boneless skinless chicken thighs, broccoli, carrot, onion.

1. Preheat oven to 350.
    2. Take chicken thighs out of the package and place them in glass pyrex dish.
    3. Sprinkle some spices on both sides of the thighs, like garlic powder, ginger, salt and pepper.
    4. Bake for one hour.
    5. Cut carrot ribbons, slice onion into thick strips, cut broccoli florets into halves.
    6. Once the chicken is ready, heat some coconut oil in a frying pan at high heat until it starts sizzling.
    7. Cook all the vegetables with salt and pepper, garlic powder, ginger, and your hot red spice.
    8. Slice chicken thighs into thumb-sized strips and add to stir-fry.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 07-13-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

torena is offline Junior Member
    Some of my go to ideas are:

For breakfast, saute half an onion (or some leeks or some shallots) with some salt in some oil/butter until translucent. Add spinach and a tad bit more salt until wilted. Empty from pan, add some more oil or butter, scramble eggs. Voila. I used to have a step before this and that was to do bacon first, then saute onion/spinach in bacon fat, then do eggs in coconut oil.

Take some chicken breasts, put between a couple of sheets of plastic wrap/parchment paper/whatever and hammer to about 1/2" thick. Season (I love Penzey's spice blends because they make it easy, I like Northwoods and Fox Point and Sunny Paris and Sunny Spain myself) then either grill (if you have one) or brown in a cast iron skillet (I have one with grill marks ). Have some now, refrigerate the rest to go on top of salads later. You can premake a salad mix, I usually have one mixed together ready to go in the fridge (just the greens) but my MIL will chop up carrots and shrooms and craisins (anything that's dry) and toss it together at the beginning of the week, then add moist ingredients later (chopped tomatoes, mangoes, etc).

Something I did last week was a filet of salmon seasoned with salt and dried basil. I cooked it on medium-low, skin side down, for about 7 minutes then flipped and cooked for about 3-4 minutes to finish. Then I tossed some thin sliced zucchini/yellow squash in the pan with a bit more oil and tossed it with fresh minced basil after.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Great recipe spots: (other than searching this forum)

Fast Paleo - Paleo Recipe Sharing Site <--LOTS of recipes of all levels and ingredients

following my nose | Category Archive | Recipes <----Recipes. I especially like her How To section

The Foodee Project <--- Another recipe collection

Paleo Parents <---Do a search for recipes. I love their Eat Like a Dinosaur book and have had great success with the recipes posted on their blog

http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex <----This chick loves fast and flavorful food and her instructions are very easy to follow

Some things I do (I also have recipes listed on my blog, follow the link below *end shameful plug *

Fries:

Peel a yam or sweet potato-cut it into wedges
    Cover a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper and scatter the wedges in a single layer
    Splash a bit of olive oil and seasonings (about 1 tablespoon olive oil, and I like to use salt, garlic, red pepper and paprika)
    Stir up the wedges to ensure they are all covered in oil/seasonings
    Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 mins. Enjoy!

Broccoli Salad

Take 2 cups of broccoli florets, drizzle with oil of choice (olive, coconut, ghee, bacon grease, etc) and roast in the oven on a foil or parchment lines sheet at 375 degrees for 15-20 mins (depends on how cooked (aka soft) you like your broccoli
    Remove and let cool.
    Slice 2 medium tomatoes into wedges. Once broccoli is cool (warm is ok as well) mix broccoli and tomato. Drizzle with more oil (if you want) and season with kosher salt and pepper. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan (not required). Enjoy.

Simple Baked Chicken (whole bird)

1 whole chicken, giblets and other guts removed. Sprinkle inside and out with salt, black pepper, and garlic. Lay belly down in roasting pan. Squeeze juice of 1/4 lemon (or lime) over breast. Stuff cavity with lemon (or lime) rind and 3 cloves of garlic. Bake in 375 degree oven for 1 hour. Check for done-ness (juices run clear, easy to move leg away from body, whatever your preferred method is). Depending on the size of the bird it may need more time. The last one I cooked was around 4 pounds and needed an hour and 20 mins.

Chicken n' Bacon

1 chicken breast per person, 2 strips of bacon per breast. Sprinkle black pepper and garlic over chicken. Wrap or lay bacon over chicken. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes (less if you have thin or small breasts, more if they have the tenders still attached).

Last edited by Kaylee99; 07-16-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Hey, cooked something yesterday that made me think of this thread. So here's another easy recipe.

Zucchini/tomato summer salad

This made a quick easy lunch for 2 people, but if you eat a lot this would only feed one person.

• Buy: cherry tomatoes, one zucchini, any beef you like. I used pot roast leftovers cut into slices, but you could buy small chuck steaks. The small chuck steaks are cheap but have a tough texture so you need to marinade them the night before.
    • Marinade for beef: garlic powder, pepper, any hot red spice you have, some sherry (OR a little vinegar), a couple drizzles of olive oil. Keep the beef in this marinade in the fridge over-night.
    • Fat and spices used: olive oil, salt and pepper, parsley and oregano.

Slice the beef after it's marinaded, and pan-fry for 3-5 minutes.

1. Cut zucchini in half (so you have two long strips of zucchini).
    2. Slice the zucchini into slices.
    3. Slice cherry tomatoes in half.
    4. Heat some olive oil in the frying pan and cook your vegetables + parsley and oregano.
    5. Add the cooked beef slices back to the pan, sprinkle some salt, stir, and...

Ready

By the way, this is good with avocado chunks on the side too, but I didn't have any.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 07-28-2012 at 10:15 AM.

WIChuck is offline Member
    Here's my simple bachelor-friendly chuck roast. Gets me a great dinner and several other meals.

1 chuck roast about 3 lbs
    1 sweet potato
    1 medium onion about fist sized
    3 large carrots (or substitute red-skin potatoes if you want more starches)

season chuck roast to taste. I use plenty of pepper, some salt and garlic powder.

place in large pan with about 1 cup of water, cover and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

cut vegetables into large pieces. about 1 1/2 inches.

at one hour, take roast out of oven and add vegetables to pan. Put 1/4 of onion on top of roast to add flavor. add a bit more water if necessary. Higher quality meat needs more water, while cheap grocery store meat will leach out the injected water. If you bought that kind of meat, remember to never buy it again.

Re-cover and put back in oven for 90 minutes.

Let meat cool for a bit before carving, enjoy.

I'm a terrible cook, but this works for me and it tastes great.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    This is what I made for supper tonigh-super easy and fast:

"Souls" Wrapped in Bacon

4 sole fillets (or other mild tasting fish such as halibut or cod)
    8 slices bacon
    4 fresh sprigs rosemary
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    2 tsp garlic
    lemon slices for garnish and to drizzle
    ---------
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare baking rack over cookie sheet. Mix spices together to make it easier to season.
    2. Lay out 2 slices of bacon side-by-side. Use hand to pound/press bacon and stretch it out in all directions. Depending on size of bacon and size of fillets you may need more or less bacon.
    3. Place fillet at edge of bacon, sprinkle with seasonings.
    4. Carefully wrap bacon around fillet by rolling fillet from one end of bacon strips to another. After one roll place rosemary sprig over fillet. Continue rolling until all the bacon is wrapped around the fillet.
    5. Carefully place bacon-wrapped fillet on baking wrap, making sure bacon doesn't come undone.
    6. Repeat for remaining fillets
    7. Place in preheated oven, bake for 20 minutes or until bacon is cooked through (I like my bacon crispy so cooked for 35 minutes though the fish was a little dry).
    8. Enjoy!
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast