Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The sweet spot between good looking and healthy BF% page 3

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I know the benefits of weight lifting since I used to lift weights very seriously some months ago. However my body is still in a very diminished state and I'm not able to get the benefits from that just yet. I end up slowing down my healing process. But thanks for that by the way.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I very highly doubt you would be unable to get the benefits of strength training, as long as you take it slow and allow recovery. Weight lifting is usually recommended for men with hypodgonadism.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

For aging men with a natural form of hypogonadism, not an extreme case of hypogonadism provoked by drastic diet and training mistakes with almost not functioning testicles and levels as low as 20 ng/dl.

I sincerely don't see how the hell I could benefit from weight lifting since my body is more inclined to waste away than to create new cells. I must be very very careful. It's too soon, I just feel it.

To be honest, I'm well aware of the fact that I feel (and tend to look) better eating 3000-3500 calories, but I'm just afraid in doing so as it sounds much more than recommended everywhere... I don't want to regret it.
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 06-18-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Is it normal that I feel much better eating very low carbs and very high fats ?
    I don't have any experience with ketosis. Today I ate 30g of carbs and I feel MUCH better than as usual.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Is it normal that I feel much better eating very low carbs and very high fats ?
    I don't have any experience with ketosis. Today I ate 30g of carbs and I feel MUCH better than as usual.
    I feel much better eating lots of fat (I don't eat low carb though).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I feel much better eating lots of fat (I don't eat low carb though).
    Well to be honest today it wasn't even on purpose. I just ate like 600 grams of different veggies spread evenly in my two meals and didn't think about eating fruits.

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    For aging men with a natural form of hypogonadism, not an extreme case of hypogonadism provoked by drastic diet and training mistakes with almost not functioning testicles and levels as low as 20 ng/dl.

I sincerely don't see how the hell I could benefit from weight lifting since my body is more inclined to waste away than to create new cells. I must be very very careful. It's too soon, I just feel it.

To be honest, I'm well aware of the fact that I feel (and tend to look) better eating 3000-3500 calories, but I'm just afraid in doing so as it sounds much more than recommended everywhere... I don't want to regret it.
    3000-3500 is not that much for a normal man, and certainly not enough for a man who wants/needs to gain weight! I think you know intuitively what you should be doing (eating a lot) but you've maybe got some neuroses about weight gain to deal with. If you feel better eating a lot, then eat a lot! If you feel better eating low carb, then do that. If you are wasting away, you shouldn't be afraid of gaining weight! Just focus on nourishing yourself! That is what this is all about, after all. With the proper nutrients, your body will sort itself out!

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1217 View Post
    3000-3500 is not that much for a normal man, and certainly not enough for a man who wants/needs to gain weight! I think you know intuitively what you should be doing (eating a lot) but you've maybe got some neuroses about weight gain to deal with. If you feel better eating a lot, then eat a lot! If you feel better eating low carb, then do that. If you are wasting away, you shouldn't be afraid of gaining weight! Just focus on nourishing yourself! That is what this is all about, after all. With the proper nutrients, your body will sort itself out!
    Thank you for taking the time to give me this kind of answers.
    It's reassuring and probably right. It's kind of paradoxical to know I'm following for good reasons a nutritional philosophy that is very far from what is recommended everywhere and that I'm still afraid to transgress what's commonly recommended in terms of calories... Everyone is different and has different needs at different moments of their life I guess.

Thank you

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    Sure thing! How is it to be primal in France? I loved Paris and wanted to travel south but I stayed there, because I fell in love with the city and didn't have enough time. I didn't know that I had Celiac then, so I abandoned primal (and I don't regret it). I thought that, in general, the French embraced dietary fat? Is the low fat thing getting popular there, because that would be a crying shame! Don't they have laws to protect their culture?

PrimalCon New York
    Sorry to hear about your celiac disease.

Yes Paris is an amazing city, full of different places and stories, I love it.
    It's kind of difficult to be primal in Paris, I'm not as primal as I would like to be when it comes to the sources of my food and the way they've been fed or cultivated. But it's better than nothing. However I'm getting more and more interested in the few farms that are around my area (there are some very little "zones" of countryside around Paris) for their "meat parcels". I know they're probably not grass-fed but they're "organic".
    French cuisine is still alive and kicking in great restaurants, but most of the active and "relatively" young (up to 40-50-60 y/o) people are totally embracing the low fat thing, processed foods habits... It's everywhere in the world, sadly. And most of the doctors are telling stupid stuff. We're brainwashed and controlled by lobbies !
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 06-20-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast