Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The sweet spot between good looking and healthy BF% page 2

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I read your original post and still pose the same question to you. Are you still feeling depressed? Are you still getting testosterone therapy?

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    I don't feel as depressed as I used too. I'm still getting HRT, it's even the "beginning" of the real one, the first two months being less frequent injections and being a "test treatment" (as in testing something).
    However it's a very long process to heal from so many months of severe body degradation.
    Been in a stage of severe denutrition with peripheral edema...etc
    So even if mentally I feel a lot better (even if I'm a little grumpy right now because I caught a form of flu haha), and I can rest up, my body is not "complete" yet.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Here are a couple of other things that you might add that help to increase your natural production of testosterone. I don't know what you have for natural health stores in France so you may have to see if these are available to you.

Maca. Maca is an adaptogen that helps to regulate hormone levels. If you're low in T it will increase, if you're high in Cortisol, it will help decrease it. etc. It's a tubor from south america and has no known toxicity level so I would suggest increasing the RDA by 50% (RDA = 6 pills take 9 pills)

Zinc. Zinc is a mineral that helps increase T-levels in the body. Find a zinc picolinate if you can as it's easily absorbable. Zinc you have to be a little careful with as if you take too much in can lower your immune system. My suggestion is to take 50mg twice a day (Pills are usually 25mg) monitor yourself for heart burn. If you start feeling heart burn after ingesting the zinc, cut your pills down to 50mg daily.

Magnesium. Magnesium is a mineral that helps with relaxation of muscle and sleep. Find Magnesium taurate if you can as you'll get the added benfits of taurine (great for heart health and mental focus) The best time to take Magnesium is 1/2 hour before bed as it will make you sleepy. Take 500mg 2x daily (preferably in powder form) and if you can find a topical, rub it behind your knees and inside of your elbows. You also have to be a little careful with Magnesium. Although our body is sadly lacking it, you can also take too much. If you start getting diarrhea then lower your dose by half. BTW Magnesium also helps with adrenal fatigue.

Fish Oils. Cold water fish oil with the highest amount of omega 3's you can find. This stuff is amazing. Fish oils lower depression, anxiety, increase mental focus, regulate hormones, makes your metabolism more efficient, lowers your fat % increases testosterone, is anabolic. Personally I take 15 grams a day. I would suggest you take 6-9 a day. 3 morning, 3 noon and 3 night.

Vitamin D. Need I say more? Vitamin D works better is taken in large doses once or twice a week vs small amounts daily. start out with 20 000 IU's X 2 on monday and another 20 000 IU's on Thursday.

Vitamin B complex. Helps with energy levels, increases appetite, helps with iron update in the body.

As for training, you know your body and you know what it can do. I can't tell you when you've over trained. However you've had first hand experience about what it feels like when it is. Always remember your body needs to rest. 8 hours of sleep everynight in a completely dark room. Take out all electronic devices. No tv, no computer, no video games in your room. Period. Sleep is the most important thing your body needs to recover. Go to bed everynight at the same time, and wake up everyday at the same time. Everyday day during the week.

I still say to you lift heavy and I could get more indepth than that but I feel like I've written a book already. I meant no offence to you from my earlier comment, I was just stating a fact about how you should be feeling at 18. These suggestions will help you get to that point. Cheers young brother. Rip the shit out of those weights.

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    I read your story and I think it's important for you to get rest, but also to realize that sometimes when you rest a lot, you get lethargic. So I would suggest that you try to lift heavy (as others have suggested), but otherwise avoid exercise except for normal daily activities. Lifting weights will help with your appetite and allow you to eat enough to gain some healthy weight! 132 at 5'11" is definitely underweight, so just focus on putting some meat on your bones! Eat, eat, eat!

Thanks for your advices Iron Will, it's very helpful.
    I'm already taking Vit D3, Vit C, Vit B complex, Magnesium and Zinc, however not quite in the quantities you advice me here.

Oh I just have to give you an important precision : I'm don't have problem with my appetite. I just don't know how much I should allow myself to eat given my age, my height, my activity level, my growth...etc
    Some doctors want me to eat anywhere near 3500-4000 calories but I'm very afraid to put on too much fat.
    It sounds too much for me since I'm sedentary.
    Am I wrong ?
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I use to have a link to more accurate calculators but this one should do
    Harris-Benedict formula calculator for males
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I'm sorry to say this but it's bull shit. I already tried to follow the calories intake it gave me, I was losing weight VERY VERY quickly. I need to grow, I totally stunted my puberty !
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    So eat like a crazy man, you said your BF % is low. Eat quality primal food and eat until you don't want to eat any more. Also squats are supposed to help with testosterone and growth hormone levels.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

My BF% is much too low, 5%, it's one of the reasons why my natural production of sexual hormones has stopped.

But won't the fact of gaining weight/fat too quickly have bad effects on my health and body ?

EDIT: However, I noticed something.
    When I eat big (some people would call that a binge but it's actually not since it's "perfectly" controlled and wanted, even if I don't feel totally secure afterwards), the effects are very quick to come. And it does really depends on the food I "binge" on.
    If I stuff myself with quality meats, say nearly 5 lbs of veal for example, or eggs, coconut oil, shredded coconut, unsweetened chocolate powder, I look and feel great the day after. However, if I binge on almonds, fruits, almond butter...etc I just look full of water and tend to get a slight fat belly.
    Something to do with inflammation probably.
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 06-18-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you know what to do, eat the quality food and minimize the fruits and nuts.

By definition binge eating is transient, meaning too much food then too little food. Don't do that. Try to find a sustainable amount of food to eat everyday.

The great thing about weight lifting is, even if you can only squat 45lbs, that's fine you'll still be able to move up from there.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast