Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Favorite Recipe, and are microwaves safe? page 2

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Don't know about plants, but I've been refilling my 5 hummingbird feeders with microwave boiled sugar water for the last 4 months. The little beggars can't get enough! The new babies seem to like it too~ they're still hanging around instead of flying off for 'greener pastures'

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Don't know about plants, but I've been refilling my 5 hummingbird feeders with microwave boiled sugar water for the last 4 months. The little beggars can't get enough! The new babies seem to like it too~ they're still hanging around instead of flying off for 'greener pastures'
    I miss Hummingbirds we don’t get them here.

I wonder what the difference between 15+year old & modern microwaves ie there output or how they effect stuff cooked in them. I’m sure there’s been a lot of improvements in technology & safety aspects.. I remember they used to be a lot louder running anyways...
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

jlmoss is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Me? I refuse to use them... but then I hate the taste/texture they tend to give food compared to the way I normally cook.
    Ya just gotta learn how to cook with a microwave sir.

It's not my preferred method but when I'm in a hurry a nice evenly cooked meal comes out great for me. It's also many peoples only choice in heating up their food at work. Expirament and learn how to use the microwave and the microwave will be good to you.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    we've been microwave free for at least 5 years and I dont miss it one bit! My kids dont even know how to use one...but they can cook on the gas stove!

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    we've been microwave free for at least 5 years and I dont miss it one bit! !
    Same here, Plus it helps that I actully enjoy cooking so its not really a chore (except on the odd day where work has been.. ummm more Work than usuall)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Skip the microwave and fry apple in bacon fat. Delicious.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Firstly I do use a microwave occasionally, mainly to reheat a coffee or meals sometimes.
    Now for the questions?
    People say there is no scientifically conclusive evidence to show that microwaves reduce nutrient quality of foods.
    Well show me evidence that they don't.
    There is not much research at all on the matter, like most diet/nutrient topics there is no money in it.
    DDT was safe until the overwhelming anecdotal evidence forced scientists/researchers to make a positive determination that it was toxic.
    Mobile phones have been determined completely safe, but currently, here in Australia one of the leading brain surgeons believes there may be a connection between the brain tumours he is operating on as they are usually located right behind the ear.
    Does anyone here know how a microwave generates heat?
    It rapidly reverses the polarity of the wave which causes the polar water molecules to rapidly reverse direction, this molecular friction generates heat.
    So as far as boiling water, probably quite safe in a microwave, highly unlikely to change molecular structure.
    What about other polar molecules?
    Lipids & Fatty acids have a non polar end and a polar end, what happens to these molecules as their tail is shaken violently?
    Trans fats & hydrogenated oils are created by modifying ordinary fats, yet they are toxic to our bodies, do microwaves possibly create another class of distorted molecules which may be unhealthy?
    I don't know, but until someone does the actual science I think it may still be a case of handle with care.
    Microwaves are another item that has increased in use massively in the same period that we have seen the "Western diseases" epidemic, it is an observational connection, but there is no evidence at all to say it is not causal.
    Besides all that, they are far less Paleo than a standard thermal stove.
    Like said above:
    Skip the microwave and fry apple in bacon fat. Delicious.

Frying apples in bacon fat sounds delish. I might try that.

Interesting thoughts on the microwaves, guys, thanks. My mom recently had cancer so we're conscious of cooking methods that may put people at risk for any number of diseases (there are now three cases of different cancers in my family tree). I've heard that microwaves may increase that risk but I haven't looked into it much yet. Too bad I'm not a qualified scientist or I'd love to dig in and find out for myself what microwaves do to nutrition and such...
    ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
    Starting weight - 170 lbs
    9/4 body fat - 33%
    9/4 weight - 150 lbs

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    So, what does dielectric heating do to make food molecules poisonous, that conduction or convection doesn't?

I think the risk of cancer would come from overcooking, regardless of the heating method used, no?
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

zilog is offline Senior Member
    So, what does dielectric heating do to make food molecules poisonous, that conduction or convection doesn't?

I think the risk of cancer would come from overcooking, regardless of the heating method used, no?
    Can you please refrain from introducing logical arguments into this debate; no-one wants to hear them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12