Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal way to treat anxiety disorder. page 2

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    C'est pas un problem, je suis Quebecois. Une Anglophone oui, mais je pe comprendre.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Anxiety takes many forms, but usually has an initial trigger like desease, stress, emotional trauma and sometimes once the initial trigger is resolved the anxiety also falls away, but often it continues and that is because the brain has developed a behavioural habit that once something happens, then react this way. So medications can be used to dull the response and this may be enough to allow the brain to learn a different behaviour, but usually it requires some degree of counselling or personal conditioning to re train the brain.
    I think CBT (Cognitive Brain Therapy) is often used and there are lots of other techniques so speaking to someone and explaining when you feel the anxiety coming on, they may be able to help you identify the problem and then help you develop techniques to respond a different way.
    I did some research on this for other reasons, and it comes in many forms, many people have morning anxiety and one I read about was the 6:00pm Sunday anxiety, something happened one Sunday at 6:00pm and this guy got locked into a cycle, he'd be fine all week, then he'd get to Sunday, around noon he would wonder if it was going to happen, As the afternoon would wear ion he would think about it more often, then by 6:00pm he was in a full on attack, nothing caused it, just the fear feedback loop in his brain.
    Sometimes a distraction helps, stop doing what you are doing and do something else, physical preferably, another one is the challenging approach where you challenge the anxiety, literally saying "Is this all you got", that aspect deals with the fear driver.
    Probably best if you talk to someone face to face.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I have had years of CBT and talk therapy. It has helped a bit but not as much as I would have hoped. I know what caused it and how to beat it when it happens but sometimes it is just too much.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    I was formerly medicated with Effexor and Lamictal for depression. I've been off them both since September, and I've since come to realize that any depressive episode I have (they now exist in "outbreaks") seem to be tied entirely to my digestion. No matter what I eat, almost like clockwork, about 2 and a half hours after a meal I start feeling violent and depressed. My heart starts to beat "differently" (blood pressure rise?), I become short of breath and feel extremely cold. The only things I've found so far that get rid of these stupid episodes are having a bit of salt, a few drops of lemon, or simply waiting it out. I used to obsess over staying ketogenic because that seemed to nip it in the bud; I was always more at peace doing VLC.

It's a pretty ridiculous cycle and extremely disruptive to my life and damaging to my marriage. Thankfully I work at home so I'm not rampaging out in public. I have a feeling if I followed some kind of strict GAPS protocol/FODMAP/low lectin diet, this problem would go away pretty quickly. As it stands, I don't really have the patience to do such a thing, and I'm managing it decently well now that I've eliminated eggs (probably the worst trigger food). I tend to feel the best when I'm fasting, since I don't have to digest anything. But you know, a guy's gotta eat.

I really doubt any of this applies to you, but I just wanted to share. Good luck, man. I hope you find a way to manage the anxiety.

Sooze is offline Member
    We dabbled in GAPS, but I found once we switched to Primal completely (removing grains and especially for me, corn) that my anxiety and chronic depression has gone away almost completely! went on vacation 2 weeks ago, ate grains and corn..guess what? short of breath, feeling of doom..ugh. Commit to it instead of the Effexor and see if you feel better! Get through the first week, you might feel a little worse before better- day 3-5 for me were low energy and lots of emotional swings and then I felt just...clear minded and content

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I've found foods like dairy (milk specifically) & sugar help me; fructose also. Daily exercise like a walk and lots of fats like coconut oil and butter. Of course protein is important too. Have you had your thyroid checked, I've read that causes a lot of mental dysfunction in people.
    This might help:
    To Your Health - July 2011

girlhk is online now Senior Member
    From my experience, diet plays a role in these mental disorders. I had issues with anxiety and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I also had panic attacks, stopped menstruating, had chest pains, etc. I was prescribed medications but I didn't deal well with the side effects and decided to make changes to my life first. All this was about 5 years ago.

I noticed marked improvement in my moods with a more nourishing diet of good fats-- in general, I feel more balanced and stable, and never get anywhere near as anxious or panicked as in the past. I ate a very low-fat diet with lots of grains back in my years when I was most anxious and depressed. I was probably pretty malnourished. Not just diet, but getting enough sleep and rest, and minimizing stress all played a major role in decreasing anxiety and depression. Getting lots of sunlight also helps improve mood. In general, the PB guidelines are great for getting back in balance.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Not in the mood to re-cap my history. Check out the link to my journal, I am trying to cure my anxiety and depression with supplements and probably nutrition.

Check out "Primal Body, Primal Mind", "The Mood Cure", "Depression-Free: Naturally" for how natural supplements (amino acids, mostly) could help. I found relief from 500mg of L-Tyrosine every morning for 6 months and now I'm trying without. I am able to more easily recognize when I'm feeling anxious now and think I might be able to train myself out of any negative thought habits.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12