Thread: Primal journal *Lekki* page

Lekki Wood is offline Junior Member

Primal journal *Lekki*

Primal Fuel

OK, I thought I would give a primal journal a go. When I first did Atkins, I did it ultra properly (understanding that it did not just mean eating eggs and bacon all day... go figure) and really got into the forum. I got a lot of help, and as I am a scientist in the field of nutrition and CVD, and also a keen, keen (and experimental) cook, in the end I helped others.

I have been pretty primal for 3 months. Quantify 'pretty'? Ummmm... maybe 85-90% I do love my tofu, and sugar free chewing gum, and morning cup of coffee. Anyway, I went home to England for a week (I live in Alabama) and was disgustingly unprimal (ah but the scones and the teas and the roast potatoes and the real CADBURYS ), so I figured I would come back with renewed enthusiasm to do it 'more properly' - take it up a notch.

This is definitely inspired by health and NOT the fact that my long distance boyf is coming to see me in 2 weeks, and England turned me into a ball of lard. Not at all. Definitely not that vain :P

Hence today is my first IF. Why am I so terrified of it?

I had dinner last night (2 chicken legs and cauliflower mashed with cream and cheese) and I am not eating until tonight - or so goes the plan. I have already had some cream in my coffee, but I was feeling so shaky and weak before, that I felt I needed something. I lifted weights that were 2.5 lbs heavier than usual on Tuesday and did quite a tiring dance class yesterday, so am a bit tired. Plus I am off for a manicure before work, which entails a 40-min hill-filled walk (actually, they call it a mountain here, but they call crisps 'chips' and courgettes 'winter squash' so what do they know ?).

Was tempted to skip my first IF for a time when I don't feel so physically wiped, but I guess there is always an excuse. And my MDA email this very morning was commanding me to skip my next meal, so bye bye eggs and cheese, hello coffee *looks mournfully into cup*

Hmmmm... we'll see how this goes...

Lxxx

OK, it is 1.30 pm on my first IF. Psychologically, this is great. Having gone from being unable to resist constant grazing, I have not eaten at all today. I even went to a meeting where they had fresh pizza, and whereas I normally eat the toppings (even though I know it is not Primal - all the salt, poor quality meat, rancid fats) I had no problem not eating anything. Progress!

Physiologically - this sucks! I started with this great high, didn't feel hungry, felt free from the hold food had over me - heck I was even thinking 'gosh, it is going to be hard to start eating 3 meals a day again'. Until 10.30. So hungry, so weak (I struggled to tie my shoes). I see steaks dancing in front of my eyes. I have tried to stave off these feelings with green and herbal tea. No joy. I know I was in ketosis last night / this morning, so I thought hunger wise it would be easy, but I am miserable. I gave in and had a teaspoon of cream in my green tea in desperation.

I will stick with it. I am out to dinner tonight - table at 6.30. So, I gotta hold on just 5 hours. Sigh.

Next week, I will try again, with a bigger, more fat-filled dinner... Steak not chicken...

Lxxx

OK, nearing the end of my first IF (7pm - 6.30pm). I was due to eat at 6.30, but the dinner guest's flight was late and it is going to be more like 7.30. When I got this news, i went into what can only be described as some kind of delirium... I could not leave my desk as I was waiting for the call re: his flight, so I could not go for a distracting walk. I spent the whole time looking at food pics on the internet. I gave in and had some sugar free gum which seems to have contained the madness somewhat.

However, overall, this IF has been positive. I think I will try again next week. Tonight I will complete my first days PB-journal by saying what I had for dinner, and tomorrow report back on whether IF helped curb the snacking.

I feel good, and in control, and not like I am going to stuff my face uncontrollably at dinner (I think a restaurant setting might help this). I do feel unbelievably hungry though...

Lxxx

OK, end of my first journaling day and end of my first IF. I feel so good after the IF (although I struggled with it during). For the first time I feel full after a meal, but am not craving more food... most odd for me, I have always been one of those people who just eats and eats and eats constantly. I am keeping everything crossed that a weekly IF might be the answer to my snacking.

In summary:

Breakfast: 1 large cup of coffee, 1 tbsp cream

Lunch: IF

Mid-afternoon: Green tea with 1/2 tbsp cream

Throughout day: Roibos tea, water (some sticks of sugar free gum BUT NO DIET COKE!)

Dinner: 1/2 plate of sashimi, maybe 9/ 10 pieces; minced beef cooked with salad onion, chillis and lime juice with cabbage leaves to wrap, small side salad (lettuce, cucumber, egg, bean sprouts).

Exercise: Rest day! But I did walk for about an hour and a half to get to / from work, dinner, manicure etc.

I feel good! Although for the first time in a very long time, I can feel IBS rumbles; not sure why...

Lxxx

Dinner

Wow. Since my IF I am totally different. I thought the IF would teach me psychological control - how to say no to gum / diet coke / constant snacking demands. Instead, it has taken my will to snack away, totally. I cannot explain it. Anyway, I am really happy with my PB day:

Breakfast:

Coffee with cream

5 almonds, handful of seeds

Lunch:

3 homemade spicy chicken wings, paleek panir, boiled egg, 5 brazil nuts

4 pm (not hungry, but was worried about too low calories before gym):

boiled egg, cottage cheese.

Dinner:

Wild salmon ontop of lettuce, cucumber and celery, dressed with olive oil, all top with wild scallops fried in butter with garlic and onion.

Some coconut bark (just because I was making it and wanted to try it).

Exercise:

45 mins weight lifting

2 * 20 mins walks in the sun

I am wondering if I had to IF it to actually get into ketosis? Although I am very slim, and have not ever had a weight problem, I wonder if an old ED and some left over dodgy behaviours made it hard for me to go into ketosis? Maybe IF pushed me into it and I have *finally* got a hold of my appetite?

Here's hoping...

Lxxx

Saturday was a great Primal day - really felt I responded to my appetite, but was not controlled by it.

Breakfast:

2 egg omlet with cheddar, wild salmon sashimi, coffee and cream

Lunch:

Chicken fried in butter with onions and garlic over salad, almonds and coconut bark (maybe 1/3 the amount)

Snack: boiled egg with cream cheese; coffee and cream

Dinner: Pot roast (chuck steak, onion, beef stock, mushrooms) with mashed caluiflower. Tofu (sensible vice!) fired in coconut oil with crushed almonds

Late snack: Kate chips. Mmmmm.

Exericse:

Pilates and 'play' - a couple of hours walking / biking around in the sun.

Pretty good day today, but I am all hormonally-bloated. Energy levels good, hunger levels excellent, able to ignore hunger when I was at a concert and could not get to food.

Breakfast:

2 egg omelet, wild salmon sashimi (huge sashimi phase at the moment)

Lunch:

2 hot wings, 1 boiled egg white, filled with cottage cheese

Post-workout snack:

Whey protein shake made with almond milk

Dinner:

BBQ restaurant! 1/2 serving collard greens, 1/2 serving creamed spinach, 1/4 chicken (white meat) - skin removed. I ate my friend's spare wing as well.

Exercise:

45 mins weight lifting - took it up a good few notches with the weight today

Sleep:

10 hours

Ooops, went off the radar with this a bit, as I got sick.

But stuck to Primal (- yay) especially my new goals of only good quality meat / dairy (unless I eat out) and IF-ing.

So, I IF-ed yesterday and had chicken breast, collards (with bacon) and creamed spinach for dinner.

Today:

B- 2 fried eggs (last of my cheap nasty eggs, have now bought grass fed hen eggs), 6 shrimp, couple of slices of mozzarella

L- roast beef slices, lettuce, cucumber, walnut oil

Snack - 2 homemade spicy chicken wings, cucumber, hummus

Dinner - pork chop, sauteed leeks, rocket, pecorino and pine nut salad with homemade OO, caper and vinegar dressing.

Exercise:

45 mins weights

Sleep:

8 hours !

Feel great, and pleased that my new diet is not upping my shopping bill, especially with IF (24 hours, once a week 6pm - 6pm) built in, I guess.

Scales tell me I have put on 2 lbs, but my arms and legs are started to look pretty ripped (for a girl!) and so I am hoping it is muscle...

Lxxx

OK, I am now pretty much over the nasty strep throat I had. It was going around the office and everyone needed five days and a bunch of anti biotics to get over it. Took me four days and no pills. Go PB.

Sunday was a pretty good Primal day:

B: fried eggs, Jarlsberg, smoked salmon

L: scallops and bacon over lettuce, artichokes and cucumber. Coconut bark

Snack: beef jerky

Dinner: Minced beef fried with onion and garlic and mushrooms wrapped in lettuce with cheese.

Exercise: 45 min weights, 8k walk

Sleep: 10 hours (!)

Yesterday:

B: fried eggs, Jarlsberg, smoked salmon

L: scallops and bacon over lettuce and celery. No Coconut bark

Snack: about 10g 85% cocoa chocolate, handful almonds / macadamias

Dinner (at a restaurant): Crab claws, beef carpaccio, pan fried grouper, baby spinach and marinara sauce (asked for the sauce on the side and just scooped out the onions / olives and capers and used them for flavouring). A feast! Delicious!

Exercise: Pilates and 30 min walk

Sleep 7 hours