Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bench press page

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member

Bench press

Primal Fuel
    I keep hearing about only working out a couple times a week, no longer than 30 mins and with just body weight. While this sounds nice because it's easier than what a lot of people were doing prior to pb, I wonder if it's realistic? I am also aware that the best way to LOOK jacked is to lose fat. Lots of people on pb may look stronger than they really are. I would like to get your opinions on his thoughts and if any of you regularly conform to his beliefs, what are your max bench, dead and anything else you feel like mentioning.

Thx

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Look "jacked" "ripped" "cut" is always a matter of two things: Muscle and Body fat. The more Muscle and less Body Fat, then more "jacked" you look. The end, no magic, no toning, no vibrating waist belts.

Low(er) body fat = Diet (Hey look Primal!)
    More Muscle=more strength=move heavy things=Lift Weights (More Primal)

There is more than one way to defur a feline; but lift weights, eat right and get enough rest is about as proven as the Theory of Gravity.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    I keep hearing about only working out a couple times a week, no longer than 30 mins and with just body weight. While this sounds nice because it's easier than what a lot of people were doing prior to pb, I wonder if it's realistic? I am also aware that the best way to LOOK jacked is to lose fat. Lots of people on pb may look stronger than they really are. I would like to get your opinions on his thoughts and if any of you regularly conform to his beliefs, what are your max bench, dead and anything else you feel like mentioning.

Thx
    Less is More | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

yes. less is more. apparently. you guys are telling me stuff i've heard. I wanted to know if it worked. Lets see some results. what do you guys lift?

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Yes it works, I don't post up my weights because I'm not competing against anyone, nor do I feel the need to strut. Also I have no idea what my 1RM on bench, I only know my working weight.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

For_Sparta is offline Junior Member
    I usually train for only ~45mins, with heavy weights (focusing around 5 reps per set, almost always to failure). So a little longer than 30mins but still pretty short/explosive. Combined with a pretty strict adherence to PB I've seen good results. My max 1RM for bench is 1.5x bodyweight (I weigh 80kgs, so 120kg bench). I always find that I'm strongest at the gym following several days of eating alot of primal foods.

No doubt about it, you will get results with short/explosive workouts, plenty of good primal foods and lots of rest.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    No matter what you eat there is one true principle. The heavier the weight you lift, the stronger you are. For instance, to our imaginary left we have Mr. Body Weight SAD. He's been training for 3 years. He has done nothing but different tyes of body weight exercises. To our imaginary right we have Mr. Power Lifter SAD. He's been training for 3 years. He's trained (in this case) specifically for bench press) with heavy weights, using explosive movements to maximize power out put for 1 rep.

Who is going to be able to lift more weight?

Change SAD to a paleo diet and the principles are still the same. Lift heavy, lift often.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Who is going to be able to lift more weight?
    IMO a more relevant question to most people here would be: who has more functional strength? If you believe coach Paul Wade, it will not be the bencher.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    I would still say the power lifter. Who's going to be able to still be "functional" under the greatest load? Certainly not the body weight guy.

Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    IMO a more relevant question to most people here would be: who has more functional strength? If you believe coach Paul Wade, it will not be the bencher.
    Come on now. Don't throw useless terms around. Think about it: is there really such a thing as NON functional muscle? If part of any muscle is growing stronger it's because its doing some sort of function. Functional muscle is just a term people who perform majority calisthenics thought up

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast