Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bench press page 3

destructalux is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    You can, of course, but unless you're already very muscular you won't see as much benefit from these isolation exercises as you would from compound lifts done less often. Counter-intuitive, I know, but if you google it you can find a wealth of scientific reasoning. Mark Rippetoe explains it very well in Practical Programming.
    Cheers Zilog, something for me to think about.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    You can, of course, but unless you're already very muscular you won't see as much benefit from these isolation exercises as you would from compound lifts done less often. Counter-intuitive, I know, but if you google it you can find a wealth of scientific reasoning. Mark Rippetoe explains it very well in Practical Programming.
    I agree with this 100%, but I'd like to add one small point.

Compound lifts promote symmetry in regards to a human's "natural form". Unfortunately due to trends the natural form is not normally the ideal composition. For example in the late 90's bloated calves and biceps were a common trend (even in scoring for events), whereas now enlarged traps are becoming more prevalent.

For the sake of vanity, I don't think there is anything truly wrong with focusing on a few body parts outside of the oly lifts. Just be careful to not fatigue them to a point where they compromise other more important lifts.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I think that's the part of the problem though, people new to lifting see bodybuilders or top level competitors doing isolation; then therefore the best way to build muscle is to do isolation.

Part of the reason why 80% of people who ask about building muscle are doing machines and isolation as the main focus.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    I keep hearing about only working out a couple times a week, no longer than 30 mins and with just body weight. While this sounds nice because it's easier than what a lot of people were doing prior to pb, I wonder if it's realistic? I am also aware that the best way to LOOK jacked is to lose fat. Lots of people on pb may look stronger than they really are. I would like to get your opinions on his thoughts and if any of you regularly conform to his beliefs, what are your max bench, dead and anything else you feel like mentioning.

Thx
    I think bodyweight exercises are largely a waste of time. For chin-ups and pull-ups they're initially sufficient since those are smaller muscle groups, but when it comes to chest, back and legs, I'm all about very heavy benchpresses, deadlifts and squats. Those IMO are the three KEY exercises and your workouts should center around them. I work out 3 times a week, about 50-60 minute sessions depending on my recovery. I lead off with one of the BIG 3 I just mentioned always.

The day I waste my time at the gym doing endless push-ups and body weight squats...yeesh. It'll be a cold day in Hell.

Lift briefly, and make it very heavy. My opinion.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    ^^ I have done a lot of strength training, from SS to madcow (never did a one rep max but I was squating 136kg (300 lbs) for 5x5 so I have a good strenght base) and I can tell you Body-weight exercises are not a waste of time if you do them right. I am not talking about endless reps I am talking about progresive movements like a one are pullup, one arm pressup or a one legged squat.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I can tell you Body-weight exercises are not a waste of time if you do them right. I am not talking about endless reps I am talking about progresive movements like a one are pullup, one arm pressup or a one legged squat.
    i tend to agree with this as well. i actually mix heavy lifting with bodyweight work. there are endless progressions of bodyweight exercises out there that can sufficiently build a good amount of strength and muscle mass. and a bunch of good websites devoted to that stuff.

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    I think that's the part of the problem though, people new to lifting see bodybuilders or top level competitors doing isolation; then therefore the best way to build muscle is to do isolation.

Part of the reason why 80% of people who ask about building muscle are doing machines and isolation as the main focus.
    Good point, which is why when training I don't let anyone perform their vanity lifts until the day's oly lifts have been completed. From my POV it's a good time to note how much energy is left. If they're throwing around dumbbells doing 20 extra minutes of hammer curls I know I didn't push 'em hard enough in the main workout.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    ^^ I have done a lot of strength training, from SS to madcow (never did a one rep max but I was squating 136kg (300 lbs) for 5x5 so I have a good strenght base) and I can tell you Body-weight exercises are not a waste of time if you do them right. I am not talking about endless reps I am talking about progresive movements like a one are pullup, one arm pressup or a one legged squat.
    I specifically referenced chin-ups and pull-ups as exceptions. But let's be clear: it's because they are heavy for body weight exercises. Sit-ups and push-ups are less impressive. One-armed chin-ups are insane. I can't do that unless I hold my wrist with my other hand. If you can do one-armed chin-ups or pull-ups, I will bow to you.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I like to do bodyweight exercises really quickly until fatigue via tabatas. Are these pretty useless considering I lift really heavy on a regular basis?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast