Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower back aching - inflammation? page

shawnwei is offline Junior Member

Lower back aching - inflammation?

Shop Now
    I have been paleo for over a year and am very strict aside from the occasional "Tim Ferriss cheat Saturday". I try to walk at least 4 times a week and do body weight strength training 3 days a week. They include: pushups, pullups, chinups, dips, lunges etc...

I find especially after doing pushups that I get aching in my back which I would liken to muscle inflammation. When I stretch to touch my toes especially it, well...unconfortable.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

A friend suggested using an anti gravity bench to stretch out my back. I am sure this would feel great but I'm not convinced this is the answer long term.

Cheers, Shawn

jakey is offline Senior Member
    you should go see a doctor to rule out anything serious, first. a herniated disk or a nerve issue is no joke!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Esther Gokhale, "8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back".

She's done a Google Talk, too, I think.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    you should go see a doctor to rule out anything serious, first. a herniated disk or a nerve issue is no joke!
    Agree, but I'd recommend the chiropractic sort of doctor. Most other sorts are woefully inadequate in diagnosing and working with the spine.

shawnwei is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am pretty sure this is more of a muscle issue rather than discs etc. I do have an appt with my chiro next week and will report back. That said this really feels like inflammation, is it possible it's simply from exercise albeit moderate exercise?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnwei View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am pretty sure this is more of a muscle issue rather than discs etc. I do have an appt with my chiro next week and will report back. That said this really feels like inflammation, is it possible it's simply from exercise albeit moderate exercise?
    Absolutely could be. But, as a bit of devils advocate ask yourself this. If everything is functioning the way it should (good nutrition, well functioning disc and joints, stress levels managed) then should a moderate amount of exercise cause this much of an inflammatory response?

patski is offline Senior Member
    I absolutely do not recommend seeing a chiropractor. I wasted far too much money in 2 years when I didn't even have a back problem at all. They are quacks. I'd see a physiotherapist, or even better, a certified athletic therapist.

Are you activating your core when doing pushups? Also, do you do deadlifts? Deadlifts literally cured me of lower back pain. You MUST do them properly however.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I absolutely do not recommend seeing a chiropractor. I wasted far too much money in 2 years when I didn't even have a back problem at all. They are quacks. I'd see a physiotherapist, or even better, a certified athletic therapist.

Are you activating your core when doing pushups? Also, do you do deadlifts? Deadlifts literally cured me of lower back pain. You MUST do them properly however.
    Wow, painting with a broad brush. I LOVE my chiro. AGAIN, like all professions, there are good and bad ones. My chiro is the reason I don't need asthma medication anymore.

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    I'm a massage therapist and personal trainer. I have experienced MAJOR low back pain in the past. From my experience, back pain flairs up with weak core strength. Pilates absolutely saved my life. 5 min in the morning and 5 at night is all it takes, anyone can do that. Also, when doing ANY type of exercise you should be contantly thinking about pulling your belly button towards your spine and tucking your tailbone under. This is especially true in the push-up/plank position. If you do not brace your core, your low back will sway down toward the floor.

Paleofan is offline Senior Member
    What food do you cheat with? Any that trigger inflammation in you can cause this. When I dropped the grains, I lost my lower back aches. A cheat night of pizza brings them back for days to a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast