Thread: Just doin' it without much planning. Am I PB'ing correctly? page

Evbois is offline Junior Member

Just doin' it without much planning. Am I PB'ing correctly?

Shop Now
    I’m on Day 5 of PB (a bit modified, I guess) and I’m sort of just winging it without any formal structure. I cut out all grains and refined sugar products, decreased my dairy intake to just a few spoonfuls of yogurt within the last 5 days, increased my meat/protein intake, and swapped out cooking oils for coconut oil. I’ve tried a primal diet in the past and always fell off after a few days (and usually was a grumpy pain in the ass until I did). So far this time around, I don’t feel much different and wonder if (1) it was just the right time so it’s going more smoothly? Or (2) (and perhaps more likely) I’m eating way too many nuts, some dried fruits, and still eat apples and berries pretty frequently so perhaps I really do need to be going primal more “formally”

Should I just be happy with how I’m doing it so far and transition to a stricter PB diet as I go along, or should I get right to it and get stricter now? A few other things of note: I have been swamped at work and I’m in the middle of moving so I have frankly been too lazy to figure out my ideal protein/carb intake needs, and I’ve not weighed or measured myself (which moving box did I put that scale in anyhow?!)

I guess my concern is that I've tended to go a little OD on almonds and dried apples… Maybe they’re making me so full that I’m actually over eating and therefore missing the PB diet benefits? Hm.

I do know that my usually workout regimen has been less than usual due to the move. Still working out every day but I’ve cut back a bit on intensity and duration just out of necessity, but I’ll be back to my usual (I box pretty competitively and run/weight lift on a few days) tomorrow so maybe that’s the difference, too?

I just find it hard to believe that I'm not a head-achy, starving, angry mess as a result of the last 5 days so I figure I must be doing something wrong. On the flipside, I never ate red meat before and now I'm eating it along with a ton of chicken, turkey, etc. (also not something I used to eat a lot of). Perhaps it's this that makes me feel good?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!
    Last edited by Evbois; 06-14-2012 at 01:00 PM.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    dried apples are super-carby, lol. all that sugar will definitely prevent any kind of low-carb transition symptoms. uh, since you're not. i eat berries a few times per week and haven't had an apple in a looooooooong time.

eating meat is great and will definitely make you feel better.

focus on your move. when that's done buckling down will be easier, but you're off to a good start.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Thanks! I just threw out the bag of dried apples (ok, gave them to coworker) Done. I'm going to cut back considerably on the fruits in general. I'm not the type to wait out changes - don't mind everything hitting me at once! So I guess I'll buckle it down a bit more. Thank you again!

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to go "low carb" to follow Primal. The headachy, fatigue, etc. are usually associated from carb/sugar withdrawal. why not just eat a fresh apple, instead, though?

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    You're doing well. Eat all the apples and berries you want they are as "primal' as anything. You don't have to, but if you purposely wanted to go low carb it's way better to ease into anyway. Just monitor how you feel and increase the carbs or fat if you start to feel a little sluggish.

I like your easy going approach. Here's a good Lyle quote:

"There are a lot of reasons that diets fail but one of the biggest is that people expect nothing less than perfection. Any break in their diet and they figure that they've failed completely; the post diet binge begins.
    Among these is the research demonstrated fact that individuals who are too rigid in their approach to dieting (e.g. expecting complete unyielding perfection at all times) are actually less successful in the long-run than individuals who are more flexible in their approach."

Hi,
    Thanks and I like the quote. Rings very true to me. Every time I try a diet or new activity, I go full force, expect to be perfect at it, and bonk after a few days, which leads me to feel like a failure. This time around, I think I finally recognized my tendency to fail this way and told myself it is ok to ease in a bit and go from there. (not that I'm not chomping at the bit to try go Whole 30 immediately!)

So how can a diet with no grains not be low carb? Unless you're talking about the carbs in fruit and some dairy? I'd like to try super low carbs only because I feel like my body would appreciate it, and that some of my health issues would go away, but that means I need to accept that fruit is indeed a high carb food. Lol

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    low-carb can be relative. the average american consumes hundreds of grams per day, roughly 1/2 their daily cals come from carbs. some berries and an apple don't approach that, lol. but i'd stick to fresh fruit, not dried.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Some base their diet on potatoes, yams, fruit and white rice. Fruit is high carb but it's generally low calorie so they don't really add up quickly. If you want to try Very low carb (which I classify as meat and vegetables only with no fruit, potatoes or rice) to see how you go then you could give that a shot. It can have some side effects and if you don't feel adapted within a fortnight it's probably not for you. I honestly think you're relaxed approach you're taking now is a pretty smart plan though.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    sounds fine to me. I don't know what your goals are, but overall, it's a perfectly fine just to cut out the "bad stuff" and eat the rest (all the good stuff).

Why not?