Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat veggies raw or cooked to mush? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

Eat veggies raw or cooked to mush?

I've seen arguments for both sides where cooking veggies to mush makes it easier to digest and prevent bloating and such and also that eating them raw works better. Just would like some thoughts on this from others.

anadolis is offline Junior Member
    It depends on the vegetable, and what you'd like to get from it. Certain plants' nutrients become more bioavailable when cooked (the lycopene in tomatoes, for example), whereas other vitamins, antioxidants and enzymes begin to denature at relatively low temperatures (Vitamin C, for example). Generally, I tend to lightly steam and/or broil veggies, if I'm cooking them at all, especially in the case of cruciferous plants like broccoli, cauliflower, etc. I love them raw, but too much at once leads to some serrrrious digestive difficulty.
    Next time you're planning to cook a vegetable, it might be a good idea to do a quick google search about that particular vegetable's qualities. You'll slowly build up a veritable mental encyclopedia of info to get the most out of your plants!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    wait, there's a happy medium in there somewhere...

Nocona is offline Junior Member
    Exactly. How bout the way those Thai eateries cook those veggies so they are 1/2 cooked. Still have a nice balance of crunchy goodness and semi-soft mellowness. I love baking broccoli slathered in olive oil with some salt and pepper sprinkled on top for about 30 minutes. It almost tastes smoked.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    The mushier my veggies are, the less I "feel" them later on their way through. I used to eat lots of raw greens, but I got sick of peeing out of my butt and watching chunks of undigested leaves get flushed away. Why did I eat that? What am I, a carnival ride for vegetables? So, mushy for me. And plenty of them! Stinging nettle tastes like candy after it's cooked, and has the most protein of any leafy green.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    What am I, a carnival ride for vegetables?

roflmao. awesome.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    except for carrots, i prefer most veggies cooked. broccoli and asparagus i like to still have some crunch, but steamed, pureed cauliflower with olive oil is amazing. i can eat the whole head that way.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Would you happen to know under what category celery would fall under?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    This is a good point. Starchy veggies are fine for me! Carrots, jicama, even zucchini seem to work fine. But no broccoli or leafy greens.

Celery is a grass, isn't it? I don't know, I almost never eat it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You forgot the 3rd option. Since many nutrients are locked into cell wall, rupturing those cell walls via cooking OR blenderizing will make them available. I make green drinks with water, whey protein, 1/4 can concentrated orange juice, celery, carrot and kale, plus olive oil (just under an ounce) and a banana or other fruit, and whirl it up in my VitaMix. Since I went to false teeth and a concommitant dislike of chewing, I can still get my nutrients basically raw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast