Thread: Guidance with being overweight and daily PEM page

Michaeljwjr is offline Junior Member

Red face Guidance with being overweight and daily PEM

Primal Fuel
    I have just completed my 2nd month of primal eating, and first week of PEM.

Before that I had a nice workout routine that I was getting results with, 20 min cardio with 20 min weights 5 days a week.

After having read The Primal Blueprint I adjusted my cardio from 148(-158) to 138 and instead of doing weights I do PEM. 5 sets of 10 reps for each exercise (modified the pull ups to use the lateral pull down machine) and this has been one hell of a sore week.

I am 6ft4 280lbs (down from 315) and my questions are:

Is 5 days a week for PEM ok or should I do twice a week optimally?

As a former US Marine I am used to working through discomfort. While I have been sore I still workout through the discomfort. Should I be letting my body rest more, and only workout when not sore, or is working through the soreness OK as long as there is no pain?

I get plenty of sleep, and nap with my little girl now when I feel I need to. My diet is pure primal with no deviation. My stress levels are managed and I meditate daily.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    If you have access to weights, go back to using weight. You want to do the same movements; i.e. squat, benchpress but no reason not to use weights. PEM is really good for people who don't have access to a weight room.

2-3x a week should be about the max for weight or even PEM. A little soreness is ok, as a leatherneck I'm sure you know the difference between being sore and being hurt.

You don't need to work each of the lifts to muscle failure, you want to be able to steadily increase the weight.

Don't be afraid to rest though, if you're really sore, go do something else. A relaxing swim, a hike, something active but not requiring a lot of exertion; i.e. slow movement.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Michaeljwjr is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    If you have access to weights, go back to using weight. You want to do the same movements; i.e. squat, benchpress but no reason not to use weights. PEM is really good for people who don't have access to a weight room.

2-3x a week should be about the max for weight or even PEM. A little soreness is ok, as a leatherneck I'm sure you know the difference between being sore and being hurt.

You don't need to work each of the lifts to muscle failure, you want to be able to steadily increase the weight.

Don't be afraid to rest though, if you're really sore, go do something else. A relaxing swim, a hike, something active but not requiring a lot of exertion; i.e. slow movement.
    Thanks for the advice, next week I'll try to do PEM or Weighted Equivalent 3 days instead of all 5, see what the change is.