Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dude, I stink. page

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member

Dude, I stink.

Primal Fuel
    This is a bit embarassing and at the same time quite sad as this is my first post, but dudes, I STINK.

I mean, like, melting deodorant and armpit chewing through tshirts stink.

I've been 100% primal for over a year now, and I'm currently cutting the last 8-12% bodyfat leading into a show in two months, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this. I haven't had any issues in the last year, but the last few weeks my wife's threatened to kick me out of the house.

Daily intake is basically:
    8 eggs
    2-3lbs of chicken breast/thighs
    1-2lbs lean red meat
    3-5 cups of broccolli
    5 or so cups of spinach and leafy greens
    6 servings EAS 100% Whey (I know, I know, 2 grams of sugar a scoop...)
    Tons of misc other things found in the kitchen (avacados, peppers, etc)
    I don't eat any dairy

Is there something I can add that'll help the smell? I cut back on onions and garlic thinking maybe they contributed a little.

Please don't tell me to make my own deodorant, I don't have time for that hippie-dippie nonsense.
    Last edited by NicMcCool; 06-14-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Do you have an infection of any sort?

No, not that I know of at least. Feel awesome actually.

I even rotated through a few deodorants and anti-perspirants, and none seemed to work. It's like I'm an odor-producing superhero.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Here is some non hippie stuff... Are you bathing regularly? Using soap?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Dude. You eat that much meat+eggs+whey DAILY!?! I think that is probably why you stink. Your body produces ammonia when you metabolize protein. In normal amounts, this is OK. But if you overdo it, you will stink. I would think 2 pounds of meat a day would be PLENTY for any diet. Without needing to add MORE from whey.

Maybe try cutting back on the protein somewhat and eat more fat and/or carbs. A classic complaint of people eating Atkins-style is the ammonia stench.

Off-topic: and you're CUTTING?!! How huge are you!?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i do believe that's ammonia from excess protein.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    When did this problem start? When you went primal a year ago, or just in the past few weeks?

I actually had the opposite experience - when I started eating paleo, my normal moderate BO pretty much disappeared, and I almost never wear deodorant now. I actually find that wearing deodorant MAKES me smelly, so I don't wear it anymore.

What I do now, if I'm real sweaty under my armpits and a little stinky, I wash my pits with a damp washcloth and wipe them with some rubbing alcohol on cotton balls - the alcohol kills off the bacteria that produces stinks, and I find it to be quite effective. Hope that's not too hippy for you!

Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Here is some non hippie stuff... Are you bathing regularly? Using soap?
    Hahahahaa! Yes and yes. About 2-3 times a day depending on training schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Dude. You eat that much meat+eggs+whey DAILY!?! I think that is probably why you stink. Your body produces ammonia when you metabolize protein. In normal amounts, this is OK. But if you overdo it, you will stink. I would think 2 pounds of meat a day would be PLENTY for any diet. Without needing to add MORE from whey.

Maybe try cutting back on the protein somewhat and eat more fat and/or carbs. A classic complaint of people eating Atkins-style is the ammonia stench.

Off-topic: and you're CUTTING?!! How huge are you!?
    I donnu, I'm a big dude I guess. 260. I should be around 245 at the end of my cut. It sounds bad, but I've always eaten this much. Workouts are pretty demanding (I also train for strongman), so I cruise through the calories pretty easily.

I've cut before, albeit with tons of processed carbs, and never had this kind of problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i do believe that's ammonia from excess protein.
    If that's the case I better stock up on some cologne. I don't see myself cutting protein anytime soon - mainly because that's where I derive the majority of my cals.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    When did this problem start? When you went primal a year ago, or just in the past few weeks?

I actually had the opposite experience - when I started eating paleo, my normal moderate BO pretty much disappeared, and I almost never wear deodorant now. I actually find that wearing deodorant MAKES me smelly, so I don't wear it anymore.

What I do now, if I'm real sweaty under my armpits and a little stinky, I wash my pits with a damp washcloth and wipe them with some rubbing alcohol on cotton balls - the alcohol kills off the bacteria that produces stinks, and I find it to be quite effective. Hope that's not too hippy for you!
    I'll try that, but I ain't wearin' any of them tie-dye tshirts!

Bioletti is offline Member
    Ingest a tablespoon or two a day of coconut oil, that usually helps me, and apply some on your armpits. Also, my wife likes it when I apply a bit of Pinaud Clubman after shaving on face and pits.
    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast