Thread: Fasting Blood Sugar Levels page

Walkerdog is offline Junior Member

Fasting Blood Sugar Levels

Shop Now
    Hey All,
    Type 2 diabetic here. After years of eating crap I was diagnosed with Type 2. The doc immediately put me on metformin for treatment and sent me to three classes designed for life with diabetes. I stuck with it and dropped 50 pounds and my blood results looked good. I was taking not only the glucophage but lisinopril and a statin. I decided to stop meds (with my dr's okay) to see if we could establish another baseline for the meds. My morning sugars were always high @ 170...on meds I could get it down to around 130. The 130 seemed a good number to my doc and we also utilized my A1c (6.0-6.5) as a marker. Off the meds I followed the ADA food plan. While off the meds my morning tests went back into the 170's....super depressing. My next blood test was crap. A1c was 7.1, tri's were high, cholesterol all out of wack, blood pressure 150/80. My dr. asked me to return to the statins and try one of the new diabetes drugs...I folded and started the statin again but told her the morning sickness from the diabetes medicine was too much and we needed to do something else.
    My wife and I were eating pretty much primal program except for the "great for you" quinoa, barley, whole wheats etc.....with the occasional slices of pizza/hoagies/beer etc. My wife is a craft beer brewer :-(
    So, I'm one week into the primal program with zero processed carbs just animals, plants and some nuts (no beer). My last 4 fasting numbers went Monday 168, Tuesday 156, Wednesday 147 and today Thursday June 14th 139! I'm hoping this trend will continue. I work out everyday and enjoy play. I can't wait to jump on the scale in a couple of weeks to see what Ive done but the fasting number this morning almost made me cry with joy. I've got my fingers crossed people.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Walker. My sugar used to be up around 160. With Metformin and primal I got down to around 125. But my doc took me off Metformin because she said my liver enzymes are too high. She prescribed something else, which I refused to take. More exercise and fewer carbs have me down around 120. A recent rat study of IF (yes, IFing rats) convinced me that I need to give my liver a rest by fasting, both fasting from food and and from supplements. I was taking Metfomin at bedtime and first thing in the morning, and eating lots of free range, organic, pastured, grass-fed food loaded with antioxidants. More
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerdog View Post
    Hey All,
    Type 2 diabetic here. After years of eating crap I was diagnosed with Type 2. The doc immediately put me on metformin for treatment and sent me to three classes designed for life with diabetes. I stuck with it and dropped 50 pounds and my blood results looked good. I was taking not only the glucophage but lisinopril and a statin. I decided to stop meds (with my dr's okay) to see if we could establish another baseline for the meds. My morning sugars were always high @ 170...on meds I could get it down to around 130. The 130 seemed a good number to my doc and we also utilized my A1c (6.0-6.5) as a marker. Off the meds I followed the ADA food plan. While off the meds my morning tests went back into the 170's....super depressing. My next blood test was crap. A1c was 7.1, tri's were high, cholesterol all out of wack, blood pressure 150/80. My dr. asked me to return to the statins and try one of the new diabetes drugs...I folded and started the statin again but told her the morning sickness from the diabetes medicine was too much and we needed to do something else.
    My wife and I were eating pretty much primal program except for the "great for you" quinoa, barley, whole wheats etc.....with the occasional slices of pizza/hoagies/beer etc. My wife is a craft beer brewer :-(
    So, I'm one week into the primal program with zero processed carbs just animals, plants and some nuts (no beer). My last 4 fasting numbers went Monday 168, Tuesday 156, Wednesday 147 and today Thursday June 14th 139! I'm hoping this trend will continue. I work out everyday and enjoy play. I can't wait to jump on the scale in a couple of weeks to see what Ive done but the fasting number this morning almost made me cry with joy. I've got my fingers crossed people.
    Blood Sugar 101

BODY BY SCIENCE 5 (The Science Of Fat Loss -- Part 2) - YouTube