Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody quit smoking recently? page

Legerity is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I quit smoking about 2 and a half months ago and I've been having a rough time lately, my mind is just looking for excuses to cave. Anybody else that has also quit recently or have some tips for getting through? I've quit so many times, I'm want to be rid of this....

3fiddyz is offline Junior Member

I quit about 6 months ago, stick with it, don't cave in, only takes a couple of smokes to get that addiction back.

I work from home, what I did when I had a craving was do either pushups or situps, this got me away from my desk and in a different mind space, worked for me every time. The added bonus was I got a lot stronger

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member

Don't cave! 2 and a half months is brilliant and you know how hard it is too clock up even a few days not smoking. Just think however bad you feel about what ever else is going on, you will feel a lot worse if you beat yourself up about smoking again, after such a good effort to abstain.

I have given up since the new year too, and whilst I have slipped now and then as far as diet goes, I know I would be so angry with myself if I slipped with smoking. I haven't been challenged with a massive emotional issue yet so I don't know if that would tempt me, but please be kind to yourself and don't add to your sadness by hating yourself for going to back to smoking. You know you will...

stevehtcyl is offline Member

I wrote an article on my blog about quitting smoking:

http://steve.howtochangeyourlife.com/articles/quitting-smoking-side-effects/

I dont see a lot of the methods out there as workable. Smoking is not about physical addiction, stop for 3 days and that's the nicotine gone from your system. Smoking is an emotional issue.

Thanks for the replies! I know how horrible I would feel, I can't be bothered to pay any attention to other aspects of health when I smoke, I just end up giving everything up and feeling horrible.

Steve: Thanks for the link. I agree, I'm trying to deal with other issues coming up and it's the stress that makes me want to smoke. That's always what makes me go back to smoking, not dealing with other issues. I'm doing my best to take care of them but sometimes they just build up, you know?

Tangent is offline Junior Member

Keep it up! I quit about three years ago, and I am so glad I did. Looking back, I can't believe I was so stupid to do that to myself. I "gave up" smoking, but I gained the infinite opportunities that come with fitness and good health.

mia
    mia is offline Junior Member

I quit mid November and yes of course I crave once in a while but really 2 1/2 months is great.Just be aware of it like a zen ex smoker and let the thoughts pass. Or pretend it's a grain hehe.

You don't want to go through quitting smoking all over again no sir!

Have you tried reading the Alan Carr book??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0140277633

Great read to reaffirm your reasons for not smoking.

dsantana is offline Senior Member

I second the Allen Carr book. It helped me get in the right frame of mind and was a great reminder when I was feeling like slipping.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

I quit smoking almost 2 years ago, but I remember the 2-3 month mark being pretty rough for me. It was when I started to realize that not smoking was a *forever* thing and that made me sad/scared.

Honestly, it was one day at a time. Sometimes one hour at a time. When I would get a craving I would have to do something, anything else, to take my mind off of it. Over time, I developed new habits and new thought patterns and the desires or thoughts just kinda faded away. And once I reached 5-6 months, not wanting to go through the whole pain in the ass quitting process helped keep me on the straight and narrow when I'd get an urge (which is all psychological at that point anyway).

Good luck! Stay strong, you can do it! You will feel so much better once that monkey is finally off your back.

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

PrimalCon New York

I appreciate all the encouragement! I've read his book several times and it has been very motivating, although it seems to wear off after a while. I had joined a quit smoking clinic and the doctor is changing my treatment a bit so I'm going to see how that works out. It's nice to hear that others here have been able to beat this. I just need to stick past that 3 month barrier I always hit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast