Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody quit smoking recently? page 2

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've quit smoking recently and am finding it quite easy so far. I do carry around some nicotine lozenges that I will take in social situations as that's when I find it the hardest. I've read the Allen Carr book too which has helped a bit. I know a lot of people advise against the NRT but it helps me and I am gradually weaning myself off those as well.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    you guys are inspiration to me!!!!

JohnOTD is offline Member
    I'm trying to quit but a carton (10 packs) is $18 down here and my (lack of) self control says "it's cheap, whats 3 bucks for one last pack....for the fifth time...?"
    www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    I kinda cheated in a way ... I was in hospital for 3 months, a couple of weeks in intensive care, and haven't smoked since. So my suggestion is 3 months of heavy narcotics.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Well at least something positive came out of your stay in intensive care.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Yeah sorry didn't mean to sound too flippant there! I honestly don't know if I couldn't have kicked the habit if I hadn't been in hospital so long. One of the cute interns took me around one day to see the lung cancer patients to scare me from starting again.

I asked one of my roommates to throw away all my cigarettes and ash trays before I got home. He went even further and put out plates of baking soda to absorb the smell. I remember they sent a nurse to check up on me that week to the house and she saw this plate with white powder on it and you could tell by her face that she wasn't believing it was baking powder! But I mean seriously, some one is gonna get out of intensive care and the first thing they are gonna do ....

jmarnold30 is offline Junior Member
    How are you doing Legerity? Did you get to the 3 month point yet? It has been six years for me as of January 1st. Stick to it. I visited quitnet.com often. It helped me more times than I can count. I am pretty sure it is still a free resource. Several times there was someone there to talk me out of quitting my quit. Good luck, I'll be thinking about you!

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I've read that smoking cravings come at the threes.

Three days, three weeks, three months and three years.

I've hit each and every one of those, and struggled. But kept with it. I'm now 4.5 years smoke free. I still get the occasional craving. Usually in those summer days when sitting on the porch enjoying a beer and a smoke really appeals.

Congratulate yourself for going as long as you have!

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and I totally agree that a hospital stay can change your mind about smoking. I was in ICU when my 2nd was born (I quit when I found out I was pregnant with her). I ended up with internal bleeding and a collapsed lung. When you listen to the oxygen sensor going off all night and have to concentrate for each breath, forcing your chest to expand to draw in air....it makes you wonder if that's what its like to have emphysema. I already had asthma (surprisingly, it's gone now) and was likely marching towards COPD. So, now, when I get a craving I think of that hospital stay. It goes away pretty quick!

Before that, I had quit and started sooooo many times I couldn't begin to add them up!

stevehtcyl is offline Member
    @Legerity What is it about you that changes at 3 months?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12