Thread: Standing Desk page

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member

Standing Desk

Primal Fuel
    Couldn't find the "Rave of the Day" or any similar threads, so I had to start a new one.

Without my employer's consent or permission, I purchased and snuck this into the office and assembled it before working hours this morning. Found it the other day just randomly clicking around Amazon. Works great so far, and for $54 bucks shipped, you can't go wrong. It's not the color in the photo, it's an ugly gray with charcoal sides:

Amazon.com: Buddy Products Stand Up Height Workstation with LCD Mount, 20 x 56 x 29 Inches, Charcoal and Silver (6464-36): Office Products

So I don't even have a chair in my office any more.

[jealousy]...

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Nice!

Cool, can't beat the price! I've gone to standing desks both at work and at home. There was some initial lower back and hip pain, but only briefly. No looking back now.

The challenge now is tying my shoes (stupid dress shoes) loose enough that I can slip them off when I'm at my desk and back on when I have to go to the printer or a co-worker's office.

CSilivestru is offline Member
    I just wore black socks and walked around the office with those on. If anyone asked, I told them the elevated heel in the dress shoes feels weird since I'm standing all day -- they seem to take that ok. And I'm 25 so it's not like my old age is making my feet hurt or anything.

I just started a new job and walked in with my five fingers on the second day.....now I'm building up the courage to ask my boss if I can Macgyver my own standing desk. There's a huge difference now that I'm sitting all day :-(. I used old boxes and such at the last place I worked at :-).
    Living the primal lifestyle and loving it! On a constant quest of optimal health and living life to the fullest :-).

You can have excuses or results -- not both.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    My son "McGyvered" a treadmill into a walking computer station ---- and walked off 100 pounds while playing computer games! Now he's down a total of 115 pounds ---- I'm trying to get him to go total primal eating, but he hates veggies. So, he eats eggs, meats and a little bread. Not the greatest, but at least he isn't 280 pounds and really eating crappy stuff!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    good score my friend!

i've been using a standing workstation at work for over a year now, and there is no way i can ever go back

as for the shoes, have you looked in to any sort of minimalist dress shoes? the sanuks are insanely comfy and completely appropriate for office settings

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    as for the shoes, have you looked in to any sort of minimalist dress shoes? the sanuks are insanely comfy and completely appropriate for office settings
    I wish I could get away with those. They look great. If they came in a wingtip, they might be acceptable. We don't even get to dress casual on Fridays. 5 days a week in dark suits with light shirts and conservative ties, year round. Yippee.

I'm not spending $300 on the Primal Professionals, but would buy some if the price goes down. I've been rocking some Rockport Wingtips with a minor rocker heel with the insoles ripped out (maximizes toebox width). They're definitely suit-able (see what I did there?), but don't compare to flip flops or VFFs, so I'm still standing in my socks most of the day.

Before this I had my keyboard on an upside-down copy paper box. The height was wrong, but still beat sitting for extended periods. Now that I have a proper height standing desk, I got rid of the chair completely.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I wish I could get away with those. They look great. If they came in a wingtip, they might be acceptable. We don't even get to dress casual on Fridays. 5 days a week in dark suits with light shirts and conservative ties, year round. Yippee.

I'm not spending $300 on the Primal Professionals, but would buy some if the price goes down. I've been rocking some Rockport Wingtips with a minor rocker heel with the insoles ripped out (maximizes toebox width). They're definitely suit-able (see what I did there?), but don't compare to flip flops or VFFs, so I'm still standing in my socks most of the day.

Before this I had my keyboard on an upside-down copy paper box. The height was wrong, but still beat sitting for extended periods. Now that I have a proper height standing desk, I got rid of the chair completely.
    even the sanuk "boardroom" model isn't dressy enough?

good idea. i actually ripped the insoles out of my lightweight hunting boots. much more comfortable to walk in. i left them in the heavyweight boots because they definitely provide a layer of insulation that is absolutely necessary on those really cold days

i have a homemade standing work station at work, but it's actually pretty cool. i have a huge, half-circle shaped desk. so on one side of it, i put a small filing cabinet on it's side. then i got an adjustable monitor stand from the IT guy, and put that on top. so when i stand, my keyboard and mouse are at the perfect height and the monitor is adjusted all the way up to eye level. it's perfect. and i still have 2/3 of my desk to sit at, meet with people, and do paperwork. it works out great.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    even the sanuk "boardroom" model isn't dressy enough?
    Unfortunately, not even in the ballpark. We're talking old school wingtip oxfords, dark suits, white or light blue or pink shirts and conservative ties over here. It's gross.