Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had some success now going other direction page

Grokdaddy is offline Senior Member

Had some success now going other direction

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't know if this is the right location for this post. I have been "paleo" in the past, was not totally committed lost a little weight but then went back to CW and failed on that. Recommitted to primal this past March and have been living the lifestyle 80-90%. As a result I have noticed major changes as well as lost about 15 lbs. I am male and started at about 240 lbs. on a 6 ft frame. A couple weeks ago I weighed in at 225 my lowest BW in years. Of course I was happy and seriously motivated. However since about 7-10 days ago I have been slowly gaining weight and so far in that time frame I have gained 5 lbs. and as of this morning I am 230.6. Of course I am bummed that my weight is going the other way. I re-evaluated what I was putting in my mouth and figured I was consuming way more nuts then is reccommended. I have been trying to eliminate them but my weight is steady climbing. I lift heavy weights 3 day a week and I walk and sprint (okay I don't walk and sprint like I should but I wasn't even when my weight was falling). Could it be the small piece of dark chocolate I eat almost everyday as a treat? WTF? Has anyone else experienced this and how did you right the ship?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    the chocolate is not the problem (though, the nuts be if it's a lot), the problem is your scale. get rid of it. if you want to know how much you weigh, fine, but don't weigh yourself for at least a month. measure your progress by looking in the mirror, how your clothes fit, with a measuring tape, and how you feel. there are plenty of reasons for your weight to crawl back up...but your weight doesn't tell you how healthy you are. take notice of your body fat, your energy, your sleep, etc. i'm not saying that your bodyweight isn't important, i'm just saying that it's not as important as it's made out to be.

Grokdaddy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    the chocolate is not the problem (though, the nuts be if it's a lot), the problem is your scale. get rid of it. if you want to know how much you weigh, fine, but don't weigh yourself for at least a month. measure your progress by looking in the mirror, how your clothes fit, with a measuring tape, and how you feel. there are plenty of reasons for your weight to crawl back up...but your weight doesn't tell you how healthy you are. take notice of your body fat, your energy, your sleep, etc. i'm not saying that your bodyweight isn't important, i'm just saying that it's not as important as it's made out to be.
    Hey thanks Rob. My clothes are fitting very good in fact I need a new gunbelt (I am a cop) no longer will a large fit me have to get a medium! PPL have been commenting on how "lean" I look lately and I feel good most of the time. I could commit to more sleep still working on that. The nuts (almonds) were a bit crazy for a while. I was prob eating soething like 10 oz. a day along with 6 oz. or so of dried apricots. I have since stopped both altogether. As far as the scale. I guess ppl have been using the scale as the standard of success/failure for as long as there have been scales that its hard to not stress about the numbers displayed on the little screen. I'll try not to weigh myself as often but it will kill me to not know week to week.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Weight loss => no nuts, zero. What's your dairy situation like? Are you snacking? Try taking a longish walk every day, that's a weight loss key. I don't see a problem with weekly weigh-ins, but more than that is just OCD behavior and best avoided (no offense, it's very common).
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Block the PUFA with generous amounts of coconut oil and butter- several tablespoons of each per day.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    You also could be putting on lean weight. You are lifting weights. The first six months of being Primal, I only changed my eating and walked a lot. Lost 90 pounds, I then started lifting and put on 15 pounds within 3 weeks. I bought one of those electronic fat testers and have been watching my body mass change.... Don't really pay much attention to the scale anymore. Clothes and body fat tell me what I need to know.

perennialpam is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully you have a copy of Mark's book. It cautions about both items. Too much dried fruit (very sugary) and nuts look like the problem to me. When I was losing, I'd eat 1 oz of nuts a day while eating my fruit to control the insulin response. Read about insulin. Mark's book? or another, don't remember. Weighing yourself every 2 weeks is my recommendation. Don't give up!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Block the PUFA with generous amounts of coconut oil and butter- several tablespoons of each per day.
    "you can't just eat extra coconut oil and butter on top of everything else and expect to stop gaining weight, let alone start losing weight." - reality police
    Last edited by jakey; 06-14-2012 at 09:13 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    A nutrient dense diet adds not just muscle but also bone.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Actually the whole bone density thing is wishful thinking. Mark had a post a while back that went on an on about an amazing bone density increase in someone- that translated to 1/2 lb of body weight more bone, or something like that.

Also, OP, please ignore the "PUFA Blocking" content above - that is not a thing that exists in reality. Just stop eating nuts.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast