Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Pollyanna12) page

Pollyanna12 is offline Member

Primal Journal (Pollyanna12)

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I'm new around here, but have been lurking for about 6 weeks, since I started with Paleo eating. I found it while looking round for information on why I had suddenly started getting IBS, and had put on about 10 kilos over the last 18 months. It was like a lightbulb went off in my head when I read about Primal and I got started right away. I have lost 3.5 kilos so far, but my measurements are changing rapidly - 2" off my waist for instance. I'm about 90% primal - no grains or legumes, but I like a glass of wine in the evening, and probably eat more fruit and nuts than I should. I, feel so much better overall that I have no intention of going back to my old ways, ever.

Breakfast these days is either bacon and eggs, or a homemade smoothie with banana, raw whole milk, a shot of kefir and Omega oils, and whatever other fruit I happen to have in the fridge. I've thrown away the skimmed milk and "lighter" butter, and eat full-fat everything instead. I'm also taking the following supplements: spirulina, Vits B and D, fish oil, Q10, ginseng and ginko biloba, and am about to add in L-tyrosine.
    Lunch is a BAS, with a bit of meat or fish, and often an avocado.
    Dinner is generally baked meat, and roasted veg or more salad.

Things I have noticed so far:
    - Food tastes different. I can taste any sugar in minute quantities, and prefer my smoothies without any added honey these days
    - the desire to binge is disappearing. I had a couple early on, where several slices of bread and jam went down, but I felt so bloated afterwards that I realised it wasn't worth it. I'd rather binge on carrot sticks now, anyway.
    - I haven't really missed grains at all, but do need to think ahead about meals, so there's something sensible in the fridge when I get to thinking about making dinner.
    -Am trying to get more sun and fresh air (difficult in the UK at present), and to walk as much as possible. I also do occasional weights and an few minutes ballistic cycling on my static bike every few days. I also tried hot yoga last week, and think I might sign up for a course there. All this is making my mood much more stable, which is good (very good, actually), although there is still some work to do there.

The biggest problem is dealing with a partner who is addicted to his carbs, despite Crohns, chronic pain and obesity, and my stepdaughter, who is a veggie. Sometimes the cooking can get a little complex, trying to feed all the different needs.

Goals for this journal
    - to keep a note of weight changes
    - to note the changes that Paleo eating has on me, both physically and mentally
    - to put things here, rather than boring my OH to death with my enthusiasm.

I'm so glad I found you guys.

Grok on!

Another week gone, but no pounds lost. Decided to do some calculations on what I am eating. Using Online Body Fat Calculator, Calculate Fat Percentage , I've calculated that my bodyfat is currently 27.5% (lower than I had anticipated), and my lean body weight is therefore 123.25 lb. On that basis, I should be eating between 83-123 protein every day. I've checked with today's menu, and found that I'm on course to eat 65g of protein, and about 70g carbs, with 61% fat. It looks like I need to raise the protein a bit at the expence of fat, and, sadly, lose the daily couple of glasses of wine, as they are taking me over my calorie allowance. Presumably, it is this that is preventing the weight loss I am hoping for.

Time for a week's test, I think.

SW: 177
    CW: 170
    GW: 136
    Last edited by Pollyanna12; 07-26-2012 at 05:41 AM.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Pollyanna.

Hmmm. Not good. My weight had crept up another 0.2 lb this morning, despite me being spot-on yesterday with both calories and macro proportions. Not did I even have a single glass of wine. Although I am feeling great, and not hungry at all, I'm beginning to lose heart a bit about the lack of weight loss. I know I should really hide the scales, and not obsess about it for a couple of weeks, but every time I go into the bathroom, I seem drawn to checking on my weight. It just makes me fed up if there is no sign of progress on a day to day basis. I'm only 7 weeks in, and my weight loss has stalled already!

Still no weight loss, though I have stopped getting on the scales obsessively and decided to weigh once a week only. Didn't have a good paleo day yesterday, because of lunch. I was at a conference, and we were given lunch. I was amazed to find not a single item on the buffet that did not contain flour. Sandwiches, quiche, cheap sausages, cakes and biscuits, but not even a few bits of fruit. I was stunned! It's not till you start looking that you realise just how ubiquitous grains are in the Western diet.

next time, I'm going to tick the box saying I have dietary issues, and get the gluten free option.

Am sitting in the kitchen having had lunch and am watching my (slim) step-daughter eating her lunch. She has been vegetarian for about six months, for "to stay healthy". For comparison, these were our breakfasts and lunches today.

Me
    Breakfast - smoothie, consisting of banana, nectarine, raw kefir and a spoonful of goji mix, all washed down with a cup of Nespresso
    Lunch - 3 slices of bacon, fried with one egg and two tomatoes. Handful of nuts and raisins.

Hers
    Breakfast - low fat yoghurt
    Lunch - (what I have seen so far) One small quiche with cheese, a packet of crisps, a Magnum, 2 large sandwiches of whole grain bread and butter with about 4 oz. Brie on top, one orange. Plus a number of biscuits (unspecified). All I can say is that it is no wonder she has to spend all her spare time exercising!

Haven't weighed since Monday, and I was thinking I didn't look as if I have lost anything as I got dressed. Put on a clean pair of jeans that are usually very tight on first wearing. They are almost loose! It seems I may be losing after all. Soon I might be able to get into my favourite jeans.

Only the next day, and favourite jeans are on. I can even breathe! gave in and weighed this morning, and I have started to lose again.

Yesterday was a disaster. I was at a conference again, and the biscuits looked good, and so did the lunchtime sandwiches. There was a small amount of fruit on offer, so it wasn' a totally grain oriented offering. Then I went home, and ate beefburger patties with fried veggies (good), followed by apple crumble and ice cream (bad). The only positives were that the apple crumble was additive and PUFA free, and I'd made the ice cream myself, so it was ditto.

Back on the wagon though, this morning. I'm finding that the odd disaster day doesn't derail me in quite the same way as it used to on previous eating plans.

Have been feeling very itchy over the last couple of days, and I think I'm fighting off a Candida attack, most probably because of the sandwich disaster on Tuesday. Wasn't at all hungry this morning, but I did eventually decide to have a small smoothie before I left for work, just in case I got hungry later. I've resolved that the rest of the week my eating will be as clean as a very clean thing.

Waists on my clothes are definitely getting looser.
    Last edited by Pollyanna12; 07-05-2012 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast