Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal Journal (Pollyanna12) page 2

Pollyanna12 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Bleurgh! fell off the wagon big time last night, and went on a binge. Even while I was doing it, it felt wrong, but I didn't want to stop. Three large pieces of bread and butter, 2 apricots, 2 biscuits and some cheese, and all after a very substantial dinner. I'd been 100% paleo all day up to that point so it was very disappointing.

I thought I'd not sleep and be dehydrated all night, but actually, I slept like a baby. Still feeling stuffed this morning, so hopefully things will be back on track today. I'm quite clear that this failure was all in my mind, and could do with some pointers as to how get back on track. I know I feel better if I'm fully compliant, and I also know I will feel all itchy today, as the grain doesn't agree with me.
    F

After Tuesday's blowout, I had a fully compliant day yesterday, with not so much as a glass of wine to feel bad about. I also had a think about what caused the binge, and came to the conclusion it was a mixture of alcohol (had a couple of glasses of wine at dinner), and having a very tasty loaf of bread on the kitchen counter for my DH's food. He is resolutely not prima, despite his weight and severe auto-immune issues. That bread was beckoning to me all evening, and once I gave in to that, everything else followed.

I feel about 1000% better this morning than I did yesterday, and am trying to burn the difference into my brain, so that it puts me off the next time I go off the rails. Having said that, I was feeling hungry this morning, despite a good solid smoothie for breakfast - banana, 2 apricots, kefir, whole milk,1 tsp coconut butter and 1 dsp. Omega oils. A single date did the trick of taking that feeling away, and now I am good to go till lunchtime.

An interesting few days, food-wise. I was going to a party last night, and had no time for dinner beforehand, so ended up eating a cheese sandwich. What a mistake - it was bland, bland bland. I used to love this type of food, but now it doesn't have enough flavour to make it interesting.

Then it was off to the party, where I had a couple of cocktails (four, if I am honest). I gave up drinking at about 10.30 pm, and therefore felt fine, if a bit tired, this morning. There were various snack options going around the room all evening. Normally, I would have tucked in without thinking. This time, they just did not appeal. The only food that tempted me in the end was some cheese, and raw vegetables for the dip.

Long may this lack of interest in grain based foods last!

DCarr10760 is online now Senior Member
    I think it's best to just forgive yourself for cheating and move on. It's not the end of the world and unless you make it a habit to cheat regularly, it will not really slow down your weight loss. Probably it is worth thinking about why you binged, what might've been the trigger and think about what you might do the next time you're triggered. Because you will be.

For me if I cheat on one thing, I used to fall into the trap of saying, "Well I wrecked the day, so I might as well eat the rest of the whatever."

Now if I cheat I try to say, "Right, that was good, but not good for me, so back on track"

Best of luck!

Oh dear, oh dear. It's all going wrong. Over the last two weeks, I've had 3 parties and spent the weekend with my Dad, who is a huge fan of port and cheese. Got on the scales this morning and I have put on 3 lb. I feel yuck as well. I suspect it will come off pretty quickly but I really need to get back on track, as I'm going away on holiday in a couple of weeks' time. To cap it all, there's no food in the house as I haven't had time to go shopping.

Am totally going to get back on track today, counting calories and doing some exercise. Fortunately, the weather has improved at last, so walking is an attractive idea.

Breakfast today - strawberries, cup of tea, and cup of coffee with full fat milk

Back on track, I am glad to report, and feeling all the better for it. I was tempted to throw the towel in after the weekend, but decided I prefer eating good quality fruit and veg, and full fat dairy over bread and biscuits. Since I can't eat both, the decision was made to carry on. 1.5 of the 3 pounds I put on has come back off, and I feel less bloated, and wider awake. Positively leapt out of bed this morning, full of energy.

I've noticed my taste buds are changing. Last night I had gooseberries and Greek yoghurt for dessert, with no sugar, and really enjoyed the tart, slightly sour taste.

SW 176
    CW 169
    First GW 150
    Last edited by Pollyanna12; 07-26-2012 at 05:41 AM.

An interesting day yesterday. I had my usual smoothie for breakfast (banana, stewed gooseberries, Greek yoghurt and are milk). When it came to lunch, I had a salad that I'd taken to work from home - ham, a bit of cottage cheese and lots of veggies. it also contained a single Medjool date for something sweet. Boy, that date hit the spot. When I put it in my mouth, my whole body reacted as if to say, yes! that's what I wanted. I felt completely satiated from this lunch. As it happened, I then had to go to a work party, where I was offered a whole second lunch. Normally, I would have had at least some of it, including the lovely pudds, but I just wasn't interested, and refused everything. I wasn't too bothered about e evening meal either (chicken stir fry).

Funny how a single bite of a particular food can be the answer to all the food cravings.

Damn, still not losing anything, although I am almost fully compliant. Have decided maybe My portion sizes are too big, and have started recording calories again. I feel great, and not hungry at all.

Yesterday's food:
    B - smoothie with banana and apricots, yoghurt and raw milk. Tea and then coffee.
    lunch
    L - salad with carrots, leaves, tomatoes, 4 strips streaky bacon
    D - (ok, not totally paleo, but am recording it as my 20% - some nuts and raisins, with a small glass of wine ( or 3), chicken curry with sweet pepper sauce, small portion white rice, a bit of naan bread and some green beans fried with mustard seeds. Home made raspberry ice cream.

It's been a while since I updated here. There have been some ups and downs, but my overall feeling that Paleo is the way to go is undiminished. August was a month of holidays and parties, and i was pleased to complete it without having put back on any weight, and sticking more or less to the plan. I was going to do a Whole 30 in September, and got to day 5, when it all began ton fall apart. I don't really know why, but think it might have been to do with not having dairy, which was functioning as my pleasure food instead of grains. Also, most of my fats come from dairy, so it was proving difficult to feel satisfied after meals for any length of time.

It all came to a head over the last couple of days, with a (relatively small) orgy of grains, chocolate and wine. Yesterday I felt bloated and lacking in energy all day. I've been getting hot flushes again, and terrible itchiness in bed at night. And this morning I woke up with a cracking headache, and decided that going back to my old ways was Not Going To Work.

So, it's back to full paleo eating again, and I already feel better. Breakfast was a smoothie, with bananam plums, yoghurt and milk. Lunch was salad with some Boursin cheese and avocado as fillers. Tonight, we're having chicken stir fry and I will pass on the noodles.

I've also taken the plunge and bought a pair of VFFs. They arrived yesterday, and I am wearing them round the house. I usually go barefoot at home anyway, so there's not too much of a difference yet. However, they are comfortable to wear, and I notice they are pulling my incipient bunion back into its correct position, so I'm going to wear them as much as possible, until I can go out dog walking in them. They look ridiculous, but I don't care, if they save me a bunion op later down the line.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hmm, another long gap between posts, but I'm still here and still Paleo. And so's me dawg.

Me - I still haven't lost any further weight, but I've put that down to my regular couple of glasses of wine. Am trying out a week without alcohol, while changing nothing else, and we'll see if it makes any difference. On the plus side, I'm eating exactly what I want, including the (very) odd non-Paleo pice of cake or lentil and maintaining the same weight, so hopefully reducing the wine intake should have positive results. Also, my OH has had a serious attack of man-flu over the last fortnight, and I've got off without a sniffle. He keeps moaning about how my immune system is so much stronger than his, but won't put two and two together about why. I've had a couple of non-Paleo nights out, but on each occasiona have kept as much as i could to the system without being rude, and it has been a pleasure to get back to healthy eating the next day. It looks like this really is a long term change in eating habits.

Ma Dawg - the wee fella has been on raw food now for about 3 months. He's loving it, and scarfes down his chow in seconds flat. A couple of times when we've been staying elsewhere, he's had to eat standard dried dog food, and each time, he's thrown it back up later, which seems like a pretty clear indicator that raw is better for him.He never vomits on the raw stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12