Thread: 10,000 germ species live in and on healthy people page

texas.grok is offline Senior Member

10,000 germ species live in and on healthy people

Primal Fuel
    10,000 germ species live in and on healthy people - Yahoo! News

From the article:

"These bacteria are not passengers," Tarr stressed. "They are metabolically active. As a community, we now have to reckon with them like we have to reckon with the ecosystem in a forest or a body of water."
    Our bodies are thought to be home to about 10 bacterial cells for every human cell, but they're so small that together microbes make up about 1 percent to 3 percent of someone's body mass, explained Dr. Eric Green, director of NIH's National Human Genome Research Institute. That means a 200-pound person could harbor as much as 6 pounds of bacteria.
    Those bacterial genes produce substances that perform specific jobs, some of which play critical roles in the health and development of their human hosts, said Dr. Bruce Birren of the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, another of the project's investigators. Genes from gut bacteria, for example, lead to digestion of certain proteins and fats. They also produce certain beneficial compounds, like inflammation-fighting chemicals.
    Given the information in the article, why should anyone be surprised when overall, human's immunity systems are surprised? Perhaps the almost compulsive avoidence of germs and the overuse of antibiotics has something to do with it?

Antibiotics target bacteria. Antibiotics will kill both good and bad bacteria. Other chemicals (drugs, crap processed foods, etc) added to our bodies, dont' help the problem.

The hygiene hypothesis puts forth the idea that they more we strive to be clean, avoid any germs, the less resistance to germs our bodies have. Over cleaning, over use of chemicals, etc, weaken our bodies and when they do come into contact with harmful germs, our bodies have little resistance to them.

Dirty kids are healthy kids - the Hygiene Hypothesis

Sounds pretty primal to me
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i saw a video of a white blood cell eating a germ a few months back

on the one hand; oh crap that is so cool!

on the other; ew i have little wiggly things living in me
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    i saw a video of a white blood cell eating a germ a few months back

on the one hand; oh crap that is so cool!

on the other; ew i have little wiggly things living in me
    I don't know, I kind of like it. It tickles
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

PeacefulWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Great. Germs are our friends, not the enemy we have been brought up to believe.
    The enemy is an immune system incapable of working at its potential because we do not provide our body what it needs, and because we choose to poison the shit out of our bodies.

Well, not most people here.

The average american eats noting but shit, sits around and does nothing most of the day (in terms of exercise), leads a lifestyle that in turn leaves them in a chronic fight or flight response, and then makes germs out to be the bad guys.

If I raised my kids on kit kats, hot dogs, soda pop and video games (for exercise) I'd be terrified of germs too. Because at that point it is only a matter of time before they get sick (and keep getting sicker).
    "Your actions speak to me so loud, I can not hear a single word you are saying."