Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One day I want to do a chinup! page 2

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there's a good corollary between push-ups and pull-ups. I can do 15-20 real pushups but not even close to a pull up. I haven't tried a chin-up. I did see progress in doing chair-assisted pull-ups on Mark's program. I will get back to doing so after vacation and my energy returns.

Good luck!

Jer37208 is offline Member
    For what it's worth, the day I got the email link to Mark's article on doing pull ups, I went to Walmart and got a pull up bar. I can now do 20-25 good form pull ups now before I tucker out. Seeing over the top of that thing the first time was a huge motivator.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Al Kavadlo thank you for posting in this thread and including a link to your blog. It's very helpful and uplifting!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

camel is offline Senior Member
    Wow thanks everyone for the replies! I'm glad I'm in good company in wanting to do this! Ok, now I want to do a chin up AND a pull up. I have a doorframe bar, so there's that! Ok, I'm off to check out links you all posted!

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Although doing push ups is a great idea and an excellent way to build upper body and core strength, they unfortunately aren't going to help you with your pull ups/chin ups very much. With a push up the main muscles being used are your pectoralis major (chest) and your triceps (the back of your arm) while in a pull up/chin up the main muscles being used are your latisimus (back muscles that look like wings) and your biceps (the front of your arms).

Chin ups are definitely the easier of the two because your using more biceps than you are in a pull up so I would suggest starting off with a chin up (palms facing you)

As for exercises that will help getting you to do chin ups, you could try some of the following :

Bent over row
    Dumb bell rows
    Cable pull down
    Inverted rows
    Assisted chin ups (with machines, bands or a partner)
    Dead lifts
    Farmers walk
    Kettle bell swings
    Eccentric Chin ups

That's a few to try. There are a lot more but the key is to consistently increase your weights and change up your program every 4-6 weeks. Good luck and lift heavy!!!

snoops is offline Senior Member
    ok, I read the thread title as I want to do a chimp and I was just checking to see what ever you meant by that! (I'm having some contact lense issues)

I, also, would like to be able to do a chin up/pull up!!LOL

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I don't think there's a good corollary between push-ups and pull-ups.
    They are complementary, if you do perfect form pushups you will work your lats, abs and even biceps a little.

When you do dead hang pullups, your pecs, triceps, abs get worked as well. They are not the primary muscle, but they act as supporting muscles in the exercise.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    They are complementary, if you do perfect form pushups you will work your lats, abs and even biceps a little.

When you do dead hang pullups, your pecs, triceps, abs get worked as well. They are not the primary muscle, but they act as supporting muscles in the exercise.
    This.

Also, I don't know if it's really been said, but the best way to learn how to do something is by doing it.

If you can't do a pull-up use a chair, just make sure the chair is behind you and your toes are faced down (knees bent, shins facing the ground). This way when you push off for help it'll drive your hips vertical keeping you in good pull-up form.

I don't fully subscribe to the idea of using bands as training for initial pull-ups because as someone mentioned earlier the negatives or holding yourself as you come down are just as important to building strength.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12