Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craving salty foods page

ErinF is offline Senior Member

Craving salty foods

Shop Now
    I know I've read somewhere on here that if you crave salt then eat salt. What I'm having an issue with is this, I'm not sure if it's my stress levels, lack of sleep, training, or what is the underlying cause of the craving. I've always craved salt, even as a kid. My mom loves to make fun of me for pouring salt into my hand and eating it any chance I could get. I'm still that way. I could eat TONS of salt. I have very, very low blood pressure so my doctor tells me to eat as much salt as I want. That's beside the point.

Right now my life is crazy stressful, my husband is on deployment and I'm home with a two toddlers; with not much help or any break at all. Right now I do some heavy lifting with a trainer 3-4 days a week for 30 minutes. I don't do a lot of walking because I'm just too tired. I get maybe 6 hours of sleep at night due to the baby waking up or me waking up and not being able to fall back to sleep. I also try to fast from dinner to lunch every day. With all of that said, I know stress and sleep can cause salt cravings. If I'm eating tons of salt already, what could be the problem? Adrenals? And how would I go about fixing this? I find myself eating salty snacks even if I'm not hungry. I always go for something like popcorn, I know; veggies in a lot of butter and salt, or cheese. In fact, I just ate a huge meal and am still trying to shake a salty food craving.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    I also love salt and have low blood pressure. If I get a salt craving, I go for pickles, olives, especially kalamata olives, kimchi, or an avocado with hot sauce.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Just eat good salt!

from Seasalt's Hidden Powers

Vital Functions of Salt in the Body

1. Salt is most effective in stabilizing irregular heartbeats and, Contrary to the misconception that it causes high blood pressure, it is actually essential for the regulation of blood pressure - in conjunction with water. Naturally the proportions are critical.

2. Salt is vital to the extraction of excess acidity from the cells in the body, particularly the brain cells.

3. Salt is vital for balancing the sugar levels in the blood; a needed element in diabetics.

4. Salt is vital for the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells in the body. It is used for local power generation at the sites of energy need by the cells.

5. Salt is vital to the nerve cells' communication and information processing all the time that the brain cells work, from the moment of conception to death.

6. Salt is vital for absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract.

7. Salt is vital for the clearance of the lungs of mucus plugs and sticky phlegm, particularly in asthma and cystic fibrosis.

8. Salt is vital for clearing up catarrh and congestion of the sinuses.

9. Salt is a strong natural antihistamine.

10. Salt is essential for the prevention of muscle cramps.

11. Salt is vital to prevent excess saliva production to the point that it flows out of the mouth during sleep. Needing to constantly mop up excess saliva indicates salt shortage.

12. Salt is absolutely vital to making the structure of bones firm. Osteoporosis, in a major way, is a result of salt and water shortage in the body.

13. Salt is vital for sleep regulation. It is a natural hypnotic.

14. Salt is a vitally needed element in the treatment of diabetics.

15. Salt on the tongue will stop persistent dry coughs.

16. Salt is vital for the prevention of gout and gouty arthritis.

17. Salt is vital for maintaining sexuality and libido.

18. Salt is vital for preventing varicose veins and spider veins on the legs and thighs.

19. Salt is vital to the communication and information processing nerve cells the entire time that the brain cells work - from the moment of conception to death.

20. Salt is vital for reducing a double chin. When the body is short of salt, it means the body really is short of water. The salivary glands sense the salt shortage and are obliged to produce more saliva to lubricate the act of chewing and swallowing and also to supply the stomach with water that it needs for breaking down foods. Circulation to the salivary glands increases and the blood vessels become "leaky" in order to supply the glands with water to manufacture saliva. The "leakiness" spills beyond the area of the glands themselves, causing increased bulk under the skin of the chin, the cheeks and into the neck.

21. Sea salt contains about 80 mineral elements that the body needs. Some of these elements are needed in trace amounts. Unrefined sea salt is a better choice of salt than other types of salt on the market. Ordinary table salt that is bought in the super markets has been stripped of its companion elements and contains additive elements such as aluminum silicate to keep it powdery and porous. Aluminum is a very toxic element in our nervous system. It is implicated as one of the primary causes of Alzheimer's disease.

22. Twenty-seven percent of the body's salt is in the bones. Osteoporosis results when the body needs more salt and takes it from the body. Bones are twenty-two percent water. Is it not obvious what happens to the bones when we're deficient in salt or water or both.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i also say eat salt, and toss out the recommendation of himalayan pink salt

i can dump a mountain of that stuff on food and it doesn't shoot my blood pressure thru the roof
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I never used to addsalt to my feed pre-primal (although I used stocks and things which I guess had hidden stocks). But yeah, I now sprinkle salt on everything but bacon and whipped cream.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    *sigh*
    I hate to be the party pooper in the 'salt love' thread, BUT adding additional salt over and beyond what is found naturally in whole unprocessed foods... is completely unnecessary.

I eat no additional sodium at all in my diet, except what is in foods naturally and a small bit that I add to dressings I whip up for salads (like a pinch to cover several days worth for two people), for medical reasons and it is a completely safe and healthy thing.
    Humans have not always had access to bins of salt to toss onto every food that they pop into their mouths. For most of history/pre-history we did fine consuming little to NO additive salt in our diets.
    There are still cultures where the peoples eat almost no additive salt.
    As a matter of fact... looking at it from a Paleolithic perspective, most did not add any significant amount of salt to their food daily.
    The minimum physiological requirement of sodium (sodium from all sources, not just salt) simply to sustain life has been estimated to be 500 mg of sodium per day.
    Really a ridiculously easy amount to get...
    Paleolithic humans consumed an estimated 750mg sodium daily... from foods.
    A mere quarter tsp of salt has 600mg of sodium.
    And that would be in addition to any foods that you've eaten. Meat, fish, milk and fermented milk products, eggs, and some vegetables are pretty significant sources of sodium.
    Food Data Chart - Sodium

If you step away from the salt for a while you may find out just how maladjusted your taste buds have become if you tend to like very salty foods. There are foods that I used to enjoy, olives for instance, that now burn my mouth if I try to eat one as a treat... as if I'm chewing on a lump of solid salt. Even my husband, who eats slightly more salt than I do by sprinkling it on lightly and eating lunches out while with coworkers, has found that many foods prepared out in restaurants are no longer palatable because they are so salty he cannot taste anything else.

Yes, humans LOVE salt... almost as much as they love sugar.
    That doesn't necessarily mean that more is better though.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be as strict as I am. Obviously I have some very specific reasons to control my sodium intake. But it's something to consider.

Also, maybe consider that you may be out of balance. Traditionally people consumed very little salt but lots of potassium. If you are eating additive salty but not adding a potassium supplement to balance things out, you may be getting signals that seem like "eat salt" that are really cries for a better ratio.
    Last edited by cori93437; 06-14-2012 at 02:26 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    *sigh*
    I hate to be the party pooper in the 'salt love' thread, BUT adding additional salt over and beyond what is found naturally in whole unprocessed foods... is completely unnecessary.

I eat no additional sodium at all in my diet, except what is in foods naturally and a small bit that I add to dressings I whip up for salads (like a pinch to cover several days worth for two people), for medical reasons and it is a completely safe and healthy thing.
    Humans have not always had access to bins of salt to toss onto every food that they pop into their mouths. For most of history/pre-history we did fine consuming little to NO additive salt in our diets.
    There are still cultures where the peoples eat almost no additive salt.
    As a matter of fact... looking at it from a Paleolithic perspective, most did not add any significant amount of salt to their food daily.
    The minimum physiological requirement of sodium (sodium from all sources, not just salt) simply to sustain life has been estimated to be 500 mg of sodium per day.
    Really a ridiculously easy amount to get...
    Paleolithic humans consumed an estimated 750mg sodium daily... from foods.
    A mere quarter tsp of salt has 600mg of sodium.
    And that would be in addition to any foods that you've eaten. Meat, fish, milk and fermented milk products, eggs, and some vegetables are pretty significant sources of sodium.
    Food Data Chart - Sodium

If you step away from the salt for a while you may find out just how maladjusted your taste buds have become if you tend to like very salty foods. There are foods that I used to enjoy, olives for instance, that now burn my mouth if I try to eat one as a treat... as if I'm chewing on a lump of solid salt. Even my husband, who eats slightly more salt than I do by sprinkling it on lightly and eating lunches out while with coworkers, has found that many foods prepared out in restaurants are no longer palatable because they are so salty he cannot taste anything else.

Yes, humans LOVE salt... almost as much as they love sugar.
    That doesn't necessarily mean that more is better though.

I'm not saying that everyone needs to be as strict as I am. Obviously I have some very specific reasons to control my sodium intake. But it's something to consider.

Also, maybe consider that you may be out of balance. Traditionally people consumed very little salt but lots of potassium. If you are eating additive salty but not adding a potassium supplement to balance things out, you may be getting signals that seem like "eat salt" that are really cries for a better ratio.
    Really?? CW thinking in it's best form. How do you know how much salt paleo man ate? He probably drank the blood of the animals he killed, same salinity as sea water. If possible, he probably ate sea weed too. There is plenty of evidence that early man sought out salt deposits and not only used salt themselves, but also for trade. If not for sea salt supplementation, I would be trapped indoors during our 'dry heat' summers~ seems I am prone to excess perspiration/rapid dehydration and electrolyte depletion. First symptom? I crave salt.

ETA~ I'm talking about unprocessed sea salt, not that sodium chloride crap commonly refered to as 'salt'. Unbalanced for human needs, sodium chloride is not healthy or natural.
    Last edited by Nady; 06-14-2012 at 07:49 AM.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Salt is a stress reliever, it's good for you.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I tend not to consume enough salt and must force it upon myself. I always feel better for doing so.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    eat salt. like nady said. himalayan pink, hawaiian black, celtic, etc.. REAL salt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast