Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else a little annoyed by Taubes? page 3

Gorgonzola is offline Junior Member

Actually Not

Shop Now
    Critiques of Taubes?
    Kreiger himself has published a study with link on his site stating that a low carb diet works best.
    That series of articals doesn't refute the insulin/carbohydrate hypothesis of fat storage. It refutes the insulin/protein hypothethesis of fat storage which I have never heard any one state anyway.

As an electronic design engineer, I only get paid by making things work well in the real world. It does me no good to finesse the circuit, persuade it through clever arguments that it should work, or cite endless up to date studies on why it should work. Either I did my job right and it works, or it doesn't.

I'll tell you what the value of Taubes’ "dated" research is: it works. Since the time of Banting's publication, countless people have achieved effortless, long term sustainable normalization of body fat percentage by restricting carbohydrates. Methods based on "modern understanding of obesity" and “thermodynamics" has produced no useful results; indeed, it has been a grotesque failure. In case you haven't noticed, there is an epidemic of diabesity going on.

If the practitioners of modern weight loss theory only got paid when their clients achieved long term weight loss, an entire multi-billion dollar treatment and research industry would collapse. That is the real reason for Taubes bashing. Health care practitioners only continue to get paid when their clients stay sick.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    In the UK, people with Type 2 diabetes such as myself are told by the NHS and by the charity Diabetes UK (corporate sponsors include several drug companies and Shredded Wheat) to eat starchy carbs at every meal. Anyone with a blood glucose meter will eat potatoes or rice and see their blood glucose rise. I swapped out refined grains for things that were supposedly healthier like quinoa, spelt, brown Basmati rice, wholewheat unrefined spaghetti. No change.

Then I came across Gary Taubes' article 'What If It's All A Big Fat Lie ?' and it made perfect sense that the carbs were sending my blood glucose up, my pancreas was churning out so much insulin I was resistant to it and that wouldn't allow me to lose weight. He's extremely smart but not a doctor so I did more reading, watched lectures on YouTube, emailed with doctors and researchers and went low carb. 6% reduction in BG on Hb1Ac in first three months, now got a normal one, two years on.

As far as I'm concerned Taubes can write fattening carbohydrates as much as he likes. People with diabetes in the UK are still being told to eat carbs which will make them sicker and fatter and unlike USA the doctors get paid regardless of whether the patient gets well or sicker. Advocating the same low carb diet for people with diabetes that WAS recommended up until the low fat thing came in and oral medications became available would save millions of pounds and thousands of lives.

So however much Taubes says fattening carbohydrates he's drowned out here by terrible advice. Who benefits from this ? The pharma companies and the processed carb manufacturers. So I WANT him to say it as often as possible !

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Why would anyone on a Primal site be annoyed by Taubes? Sisson relies on him for advice. Even if you aren't "very low-carb," you will still be considered low carb, by simply avoiding grains and sugars, in comparison to most people. If you eat a teaspoon of sugar a day, sweet potatoes, starchy veg, you are still considered low-carb by S.A.D. (by the way, I don't like this standard AMERICAN diet term, because it implies that Americans are the only ones with a crap diet). Can you disagree with Taubes, that carbs causes weight gain? Sure. However, keep in mind that the level of carbs (carbs from veggies) you could achieve on a Primal/Paleo diet are nothing compared to a diet based on grains and potatoes (a large chunk of that stupid food-plate, former pyramid). I don't know if "annoyed" is meant to be used in stead of "Don't quite agree, because of X,Y, Z". By the way, I don't worship any guru or spokesperson, nor do I despise any of them (with the exception of Kruse, who Sission has collaborated with, for some unfathomable reason.).

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Sure ... or some readers. Stylistic quirks and repetitious phrases can be annoying to some readers.

I guess the point to bear in mind is that he already wrote Good Calories, Bad Calories. This book is aimed at readers who couldn't have stood the more formal and at length presentation in that book.
    Exactly.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    His tiff with Guyenet showed that he's not an intellectually honest person, which makes his material suspect.

He's similar to the Wheat Belly douche. Has some nominally correct conclusions, but the road to those conclusions is riddled with 6-foot potholes.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    His tiff with Guyenet showed that he's not an intellectually honest person, which makes his material suspect.
    I missed that tiff! Do you have a link?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    You may have cross posted here guys. Which one did you mean, Taubes, Kruse, or Sisson?

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Paleobird: I have a book project you should write. It's called: "It All Counts: Calories, Carbs, Genetics, Hormones, and Weight- Loss". Well, that's a rather long title, but I think you can make it snappier

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Paleobird: I have a book project you should write. It's called: "It All Counts: Calories, Carbs, Genetics, Hormones, and Weight- Loss". Well, that's a rather long title, but I think you can make it snappier
    How about, "Carbs, Calories, and Context : It All Counts"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast