Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else a little annoyed by Taubes? page 2

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Kurt Harris already said it best:

you're like those alcoholics that quit the drink but turn hard to Jesus, and now chain- smoke while eating too many glazed doughnuts at AA meetings.
    Quite honestly that seems like a pretty good self-description. He should look in the mirror. I can remember the time when Harris was saying absurd things like "an apple is just a bag of sugar." It's not: everything is what it is and nothing else, as Joseph Butler said. Now he's pouring out rhetoric against anyone who points out the obvious with regards to the over-sonsumption of refined carbohydrate. How's a piece of absurd rhetoric like that quoted above a patch on the detailed information, intelligent analysis and imaginative citing of dozens of different, and not at first obviously applicable, scenarios one gets in Taubes's magnum opus? What's quoted above is more like a child daubing on a wall with a crayon.

If i never heard a word out of Harris again, I'll be quite happy.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Quite honestly that seems like a pretty good self-description. He should look in the mirror. I can remember the time when Harris was saying absurd things like "an apple is just a bag of sugar." It's not: everything is what it is and nothing else, as Joseph Butler said. Now he's pouring out rhetoric against anyone who points out the obvious with regards to the over-sonsumption of refined carbohydrate. How's a piece of absurd rhetoric like that quoted above a patch on the detailed information, intelligent analysis and imaginative citing of dozens of different, and not at first obviously applicable, scenarios one gets in Taubes's magnum opus? What's quoted above is more like a child daubing on a wall with a crayon.

Thank you. He has become quite obnoxious.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Yep, good point about Good Calories, Bad Calories. I actually had already read that book, and I don't recall being annoyed by that phrase. So maybe he did see that phrase as his sledge hammer to drive his point home, and I guess I wasn't the intended audience for it.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post

Except he has long since changed that opinion. Seriously, the guy who admits his previous opinions were flawed and changes his mind over time based on new data is more obnoxious than the guy who outright refuses to? That's nuts.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

twa2w is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    He's done a lot of great research to show that fat doesn't cause obesity.
    Actually Taubes hasn't done a lick of real research. He looks at research papers done by others. He ignores anything that contradicts his argument and he often quotes the quoter who got it wrong in the first place. for example - he will some times have 5 or 6 references to support one of his ideas. When you actually track down the references you find that most of them are just studies that are quoting from another study and when you get right down to it, it is really only one small study. And often the peopel who are quoting the study are drawing the wrong conclusion from the original study.

Just like if the Times and the Post and the Herald papers all refer to a study and make a grandious claim, Taubes would foot note his work with 3 references but really there is only one and he didn't read the real one.

I'm not saying his ideas are necessarily wrong but his reporting is aweful in my opinion.

Just try it - take one of his ideas where he shows lots of studies and track them back - it is not the case on everyone but on enough it won't take you long to find some of this BS.

Heth is offline Member
    I've just read How we Get Fat... and I actually found the use of the term 'fattening carbohydrates' useful because it seemed to distinguish between different carbs. I know first-hand that some carbs, like sweet fruit and brown rice, even seemingly eaten to excess, seem to cause me to lose weight, even to the point of being skin-and-bones with a high-fruit diet! So when I read 'fattening carbohydrate' in Taubes' book in made me think he was referring mainly to flour products and processed sugar, and if he intended that, it makes sense to me, because of my personal experience.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Heth, if that's the case, I think he'd have sounded a lot more reasonable if he referred to them as "processed carbohydrates". Continuously calling them "fattening carbohydrates" makes him sound like a bit too much like he has a personal axe to grind, and that leads me to approach everything else he says with an even more skeptical eye than usual. I could even see using the phrase sometimes, but I got to the point where I feel like his book could have been 20 pages shorter if he'd not used that phrase so much.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Edit. double
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 06-14-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Edit. double.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 06-14-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast