Thread: Should we supplement fish oil on days we eat fish? page

ewiggy24 is offline Junior Member

Should we supplement fish oil on days we eat fish?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I started working out, and to get a quick and easy protein boost, I eat a 400g can of salmon after each workout. According to what I read, that would contain about 4 grams of omega 3 fatty acid. Should I forgo my supplementation on those days?
    Haven't made the transfer to grass fed beef, because of money, but I have next to no vegetable oils in my diet, and I rarely eat nuts.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I would say that you probably should forego the supplements if you are already eating 4 grams of omega 3's from fish. To put that into perspective that would be close to 13 standard fish oil pills.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Fish oil isn't strictly necessary in any case, and if you eat seafood regularly and avoid O6s, you should be fine without it. My opinion.

Jimhensen, is that a non-troll post from you? That may be the first I've seen. Congrats!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ewiggy24 is offline Junior Member
    Well then, canned salmon is just amazing then. At 68 grams of protein for can, its a pretty cheap source for a nice post workout boost. Thanks for the answers. Gonna save the supplements for days I don't eat fish.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I just read this scary article about fish oil:
    The Great Fish Oil Experiment

JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I just read this scary article about fish oil:
    The Great Fish Oil Experiment
    Be interested to hear what others say about Ray Peats ideas, here is his recommendations for a diet, note the avoidance of all PUFA's:

'Protein sources: gelatin, milk, cheese, eggs, potatoes, meat (preferably not the lean cuts). Eat about 70-100 g per day and have some with every meal.

Fat sources: coconut oil, butter, olive oil (only as a condiment).

Carbohydrate sources: fruit juices, fruit, sugar, potatoes. Have some with every meal to prevent hypoglycemia after eating the proteins.

Avoid at all cost: PUFAs, soy, seeds, cruciferous vegetables and most vegetables in general. Roots are more harmless than the others. Also don't eat too much of lean meat.

Everything else is somewhere in between - it won't kill you if consumed, but unless you are healthy it's better to prefer above listed foods.

Extras: pregnenolone, progesterone, thyroid and some minerals may be needed to correct hormonal imbalances if food is not enough to do the trick, and some of these in small doses will slow down the aging. Coffee supports the metabolism but has to be consumed with some sugar or with meal to prevent stress response due to low blood sugar.

Also keep in mind that if you have been eating PUFAs in the past, the oil change in your tissues takes up to four years during which your fat stores will be releasing enough PUFAs to cause you some troubles, so it requires some patience and also some skillful means to counteract their effects, like getting some extra vitamin E, little thyroid to counteract their antithyroid action etc. It all depends on how your metabolism works'

Just been reading a few of his blog posts, PUFA according to him should be avoided at all costs!

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    PUFA he and Mark Sisson generally refer to are the bulk of fatty acids in poluunsaturated fats. They go rancid easily and are extremely high in O6, which if why we avoid them.

O3s are the one exception, because its hard to avoid all o6, its important to get the ration right. O3s are there fore advised because they are less abundant.

So yes they are PUFA, but they are also the essential ones you must get to be healthy. What he is saying above is avoid corn oil, vegetable oil etc. with tones of o6. mark has done countless posts on the need to get o3 but avoid PUFA's (O6).

to the OP, Mark has also recomended supplementing O3 according to your diet of other things. eg dont when you eat salmon but do when you eat chicken.
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    PUFA he and Mark Sisson generally refer to are the bulk of fatty acids in poluunsaturated fats. They go rancid easily and are extremely high in O6, which if why we avoid them.

O3s are the one exception, because its hard to avoid all o6, its important to get the ration right. O3s are there fore advised because they are less abundant.

So yes they are PUFA, but they are also the essential ones you must get to be healthy. What he is saying above is avoid corn oil, vegetable oil etc. with tones of o6. mark has done countless posts on the need to get o3 but avoid PUFA's (O6).

to the OP, Mark has also recomended supplementing O3 according to your diet of other things. eg dont when you eat salmon but do when you eat chicken.
    I just read a lot of his stuff, and he says avoid all PUFA's, he says avoid Salmon and other fatty fish, avoid avocados as again too much unsaturated fats.
    He does say coconut oil, butter and some EVOO is ok.

It makes my head spin all this conflicting info on the web, most places recommend getting plenty of 03's, mono's etc, but he and a few other sites, Lita Lee for one, say avoid all unsaturated fats!

But here is a good response to Peat's idea's on fats:

http://www.apinchofhealth.com/resour...eficiency.html
    Last edited by JonnyH; 06-14-2012 at 11:24 AM.